Answered

Blinking orange light

We had our Play 3 down stairs them added another Play 5 and then brought this Play3 upstairs to our bathroom and I plugged it in and all it does is blinks a orange light now and we can not get it to play but it shows that it is connected. Please help
icon

Best answer by Edward R 13 June 2019, 14:30

If you are looking for information as to what causes a Blinking Orange light to appear on your Sonos devices, there are a number of things that could be going on. The first thing to do would be to review this article here, which talks about what the different coloured lights on Sonos products mean. In my experience, it generally means the device is struggling to obtain an IP address. In these cases, unplugging the router for a few seconds tends to remedy this.

No luck? Try wiring it into your router via Ethernet. Does that then work? Try unplugging the Ethernet cable (without unplugging the speaker from power).

Does it drop off the system again after you do this, or does it not connect at all via cable? At this stage it would be wise to contact our care agents via telephone.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't think you are supposed to get a blinking orange only.

I would try to factory reset.  Then plug into the router directly and see if will add back.  Once added back take to where you want and hook back up wirelessly.

factory reset Sonos component:
Disconnect the power cord and leave it disconnected for at least ten seconds. Hold down the Mute or Play/Pause button, depending on which Sonos component you are using, and reconnect the power plug. Continue holding the Mute or Play/Pause button until the status indicator light begins to flash amber. Once the indicator light begins flashing amber, let go of the button. Eventually it will start flashing green and white simultaneously, meaning it is factory reset and ready to add back to your Sonos System.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Jerome,

Please submit a diagnostic  after you see this.. I want to take a closer look to see how the device is connecting to the system. Please reply with the number here. 

Then, I would try Chris's recommendation. Factory Reset the unit and attempt to re-add it back to the system.

If you are able to successfully re-add it back to the system, please grab another diagnostic.
I'm having this same issue. Just got a new router. Have two Player 5's. Plugged one in at the router location, using the ethernet cord and got it to pair. Second Player 5 at first would do only blinking amber. Would not connect. Moved it to router location, plugged it in using ethernet and it still wouldn't recognize.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I'm having this same issue. Just got a new router. Have two Player 5's. Plugged one in at the router location, using the ethernet cord and got it to pair. Second Player 5 at first would do only blinking amber. Would not connect. Moved it to router location, plugged it in using ethernet and it still wouldn't recognize.

Hello Yasmin, 

Were you able to go through Chris's suggestion and factory reset the second PLAY:5 (only)? 

Try this step and let us know if you still run into issue. When you perform this step, ensure that it is no longer plugged into your router. 

I did try it and it did not work. My local Apple guys who also sell Sonos told me to bring it in for a bench test. I'm going to do that today. Big props to MacMadeEasy Kona for offering to help. I'm coming to Santa Barbara later this month. Should I bring it with me if it doesn't work?
I spent so much money on Sonos last year and have never been able to use these pieces of crap. Flashing lights, resetting, never working, just utterly disgusted with this produce. Wish I could take them back- thought about keeping the boxes and should have listened to myself. Never have I had to do so much work just to try to get a product to work. Worked once, then have never worked again. Terrible product- dont buy if you havent already.
Badge +1
I spent so much money on Sonos last year and have never been able to use these pieces of crap. Flashing lights, resetting, never working, just utterly disgusted with this produce. Wish I could take them back- thought about keeping the boxes and should have listened to myself. Never have I had to do so much work just to try to get a product to work. Worked once, then have never worked again. Terrible product- dont buy if you havent already.

Hey Jon, thanks for reaching out. We can happily assist here if you could submit a Diagnostic report and respond with the number. Here's how - https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142.
Hi. I just submitted a diagnostic. Can you please check and respond? Number: 7808656
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi harivk, welcome to the community. It's been a while since you posted, but if you're still having the problem may I ask to try connecting your missing speakers by Ethernet directly to your router, and seeing if they appear in the app at that point? If so, send us over a new diagnostic. We also need to know details of your network layout. That means: What kind of router are you using, are there any wireless extenders or boosters in use, or anything else adding extra complexity such as secondary routers or access points?
I have just relocated to Kenya. We are up country and have a dodgy wireless connection. I have two play 5s and would like to connect them to my iMac with a couple of audio cables paired into an 8th inch connector. When I plug them each in the back only one play 5 will work. The other gives me a continuous blinking light orange light. I cannot even get this speaker working alone. Help please.

Thanks
We had our Play 3 down stairs them added another Play 5 and then brought this Play3 upstairs to our bathroom and I plugged it in and all it does is blinks a orange light now and we can not get it to play but it shows that it is connected. Please help
I'm having the same issue, and Sonos are closed for FOUR days!!!
"Welcome to Sonos. Sorry, we are CLOSED." Well that's not 24/7 support is it???
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You hung your post off a several year old topic...

Did you try Messenger or Twitter that are the 24x7 support options?
Same issue here. Moved speaker, plugged it back in and went through the add speaker process and comes up with temporary, bright blinking orange light. Hard reset does nothing and held pause/play down for 2 minutes on my last attempt while plugging back in. Super frustrating.. having a house warming and speakers that i paid a small fortune for (last month i might add - brand new), and already having issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
If you are looking for information as to what causes a Blinking Orange light to appear on your Sonos devices, there are a number of things that could be going on. The first thing to do would be to review this article here, which talks about what the different coloured lights on Sonos products mean. In my experience, it generally means the device is struggling to obtain an IP address. In these cases, unplugging the router for a few seconds tends to remedy this.

No luck? Try wiring it into your router via Ethernet. Does that then work? Try unplugging the Ethernet cable (without unplugging the speaker from power).

Does it drop off the system again after you do this, or does it not connect at all via cable? At this stage it would be wise to contact our care agents via telephone.