Question

Blending an existing "vintage" system with the Sonos system

• 11 October 2016
  • 9 replies

Badge
I have recently put together a "vintage" stereo with a Tuner from 1979, Speakers from 1977 and a turntable. Currently, I have a Apple AirPort connected to it for streaming service. We have noticed that, while the speakers are excellent, it is tough to hear the music through the house as we had hoped. Due to the layout of the home, running speaker wires is not an option. Can I hook Sonos up to my existing stereo and listen to, not only the streaming services, but the Turntable as well through the existing speakers AND the Sonos system?

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Yes absolutely. You need a Sonos Connect. It has an RCA analogue (red/white) output that could go into (I imagine) an aux input, say, in the tuner/amp. It also has a "line-in" RCA connection into which you should be able to run the turntable. If the turntable does not have a built-in pre-amp you will need a separate pre-amp. The Connect is specifically designed to turn a traditional hifi into a Sonos streamer.

Then you need other Sonos all-in-one speakers in other rooms. The line-in source to the Connect is available to all speakers - you can even play it in other rooms without playing it through the hifi.

The Connect will sync perfectly with the speakers but audio processing through the amp MIGHT cause a slight audio lag
Badge
Ok. So if I follow you correctly...I get the SONOS CONNECT and run an RCA line from it INTO the tuner I currently have. Then plug the Turntable (it has its own Pre-amp) into the SONOS CONNECT which creates the network that i can then run other SONOS speakers around the house from the main system including the Turntable?

Sounds like some kind of wizard craft to me...
Badge
And the "LAG" you are referring to is from the Floor Speakers attached to the main Amp and the SONOS speakers I have throughout the house??
Badge
One other question...Do I need an Ethernet line at the Stereo to run the SONOS CONNECT?
Ok. So if I follow you correctly...I get the SONOS CONNECT and run an RCA line from it INTO the tuner I currently have. Then plug the Turntable (it has its own Pre-amp) into the SONOS CONNECT which creates the network that i can then run other SONOS speakers around the house from the main system including the Turntable?

Sounds like some kind of wizard craft to me...

You have the connections right as far as the audio bits are concerned. As far as the networking is concerned you can operate without any Sonos device connected to your router by Ethernet - everything communicates over your home wifi.

However, there are certain advantages to having one wired device. If it is convenient to wire the Connect, fine. Or one of the other speakers. Or if the router is tucked away somewhere you don't want music, buy a Sonos Boost and wire that. Wiring any component causes Sonos to create its own mesh network, which is designed for audio transport and generally more robust than home wifi.

It isn't magic.... but it feels like it!
Badge
OK, so if I purchase a Sonos Connect to attach to the Home Stereo System, A Boost to create a Sonos network and a Play 3 (to start) I should be up and running?
That sounds a good approach, assuming that you cannot easily wire the Connect or speaker to your router (in which case you would do that and do without the Boost).

My only quibble would be whether the Play:3 is the best choice. See if you can demo the various options, but the weight of opinion on here seems to be that two Play:1s, configured as a stereo pair, trumps the Play:3 and is worth the extra. That would be my view. The other option is a Play:5 gen 2, which is more money again, but is in a different league from the Play:3.

All the speakers are very good, I don't think you will be disappointed.
One further thought. The Play:5 also has a line-in, to which you could attach the Airport Express. For most purposes Airplay is redundant with Sonos (and is outdated tech), but Sonos won't play embedded audio like YouTube so you may wish to retain that facility.

Edit - when I say "won't play", I mean except through the line-in!
Badge
Ok great! Thanks for your help. I am still looking for a way to wirelessly connect a set of speakers to another room but I have not liked any of the options as far as that goes. SONOS may be just what I am looking for.