Answered

Bits of audio missing from music

• 24 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m sure there’s a better way to technically title this question, but I’m not sure what it is… So if this has been answered before, I do apologize… I had no idea what to call it to properly search for it.

I noticed today that some of the audio from certain songs (and it could be all songs, I don’t have the most sensitive ear for things to tell--3 years in a rock band will do that to you) is missing. I don’t think an entire channel of audio is missing but I’m not sure. Here’s the best example I can give you:

In this song, a weird cartoony voice says “Here we go!” after Mike Patton says “Here we go!” It happens around 3:37 in. https://youtu.be/apyj6H50QBU?t=212

On my Sonos system, that weird voice is missing completely. Not faint in the background somewhere, it’s just solid gone. No trace. If you weren’t expecting to hear it, you’d never know it was missing. Here’s what I found:

That voice is gone:

• If I’m Airplaying an MP3 from iTunes on MacOS to Sonos
  • If I’m Airplaying an MP3 from Music on iOS to Sonos
  • If I’m playing it from Spotify to Sonos
  • If I’m playing it from Spotify through the Sonos app to Sonos

That voice is there:

• If I’m Airplaying to my sound bar via my Apple TV
  • If I’m just playing it on my iPhone or Mac through its regular speakers

The issue seems to be isolated to my Sonos speakers. And it happens through all of my speakers. I have rebooted my network, rebooted the speakers, force quit the apps and restarted them, made sure my Sonos system had the latest software on it, and made sure my apps were at the latest versions.

I have four Play:1s, a One, and a One SL. Six speakers in all. The “lead” speaker is wired into the router. 

Any ideas? Is there some bleedingly obvious setting I’ve missed tweaking? Should I call an exorcist? Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

icon

Best answer by ratty 24 March 2021, 23:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Are any of the Play:1s in stereo pairs, or are all the speakers standalone? A standalone speaker plays mono, the sum of the two channels. It’s been known for sounds to be recorded in anti-phase, such that when added L+R they cancel out. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Are any of the Play:1s in stereo pairs, or are all the speakers standalone? A standalone speaker plays mono, the sum of the two channels. It’s been known for sounds to be recorded in anti-phase, such that when added L+R they cancel out. 

Hey ratty: You nailed it in one. They’re all standalone. Each solo to a room. So I basically just created a stereo pair to test it and sure enough, the voice returns. And if it’s canceled out that would explain why it was so completely gone. You’re a scholar and a saint.

I have learned something today. Many thanks.