Answered

best configuration for large sonos network

• 31 October 2018
  • 7 replies

I have a large property with multiple buildings. All the buildings are connected by a flat wired ethernet network (no subnets) and all use a single internet connection in the main house. Each building (3 of them) has it's own wi-fi network (they are too far apart to share a wi fi network). I have 3 Sonos playbars in the main house one of which has a wired connection to the network. My Sonos network is operating in Boost mode. One of the players in one of the outbuildings (a SONOS 3) keeps dropping off the network. I suspect it is at the edge of the range of the Boost network. Would it be better if I switched to a Standard (wi fi) setup? Different players will be on different wi fi networks but they will all be on the same IP network so I think it will work. But if I try to switch my system to Standard mode it only lets me select a single wi fi SSID. As previously mentioned I don't have a single wi-fi network that spans my entire property. Please help me figure out the best configuration for this setup.
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 31 October 2018, 22:38

I'd wire an existing Sonos unit in each building as my first choice, second choice would be adding a wired Boost or other Sonos device to each building.

The Boost is great and I love mine but a Play 1 works nearly as well as a network extender and gives you another speaker to use.

Standard mode would be a last resort, only one SSID is allowed and all your APs have to be on the same channel which sucks for most non-Sonos devices.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

If the buildings are all connected via Ethernet, why not connect the outbuilding's Sonos device via Ethernet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Would it be possible to use the same SSID and password in all buildings? Since there are no subnets, would Sonos see this as all one network and operate in the Standard mode without issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'd wire an existing Sonos unit in each building as my first choice, second choice would be adding a wired Boost or other Sonos device to each building.

The Boost is great and I love mine but a Play 1 works nearly as well as a network extender and gives you another speaker to use.

Standard mode would be a last resort, only one SSID is allowed and all your APs have to be on the same channel which sucks for most non-Sonos devices.
If the buildings are all connected via Ethernet, why not connect the outbuilding's Sonos device via Ethernet?

A possible solution but the outbuildings just have wired network to the mechanical room, connecting to an AP there. The buildings themselves are not wired for enet. So I would have to run Cat 5 to the desired speaker locations, which I want to avoid.

This was the solution I came up with. Basically a Boost in each outbuilding, in the mechanical room, connected to the wired network.

I just realized you said a Play 1 would work as well. A wired Play 1 will act as a Sonos network extender?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes, a Sonos Player or Connect works nearly as well as a Boost, they have a bit less noise rejection but otherwise are very similar.

My garage Play 1 has no issues using my wired Play 3 to fetch data from instead of the Boost that is 20 feet further away.