Question

Best Airport Settings

• 7 November 2015
  • 6 replies

I have an Airport Extreme Tower with a Airport Express on my network. I have two Sonos Connects hooked up to the network wirelessly. What are the best settings for my home network to get the Sonos to perform the best?

Airport Extreme Tower is connected to router with:
Internet: DHCP
Configure IPv6: Automatically
Wireless Options:
2.4Ghz Channel 11 (though I saw somewhere to put this on 11 to avoid interference issues)
5 GHz Channel: Automatic
Network Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)

My Airport Express I have set in Extend Wireless Network Mode

Anything I should change to get optimal results with Sonos?

Thanks

6 replies

With Sonos, like other digital set ups, there isn't anything like optimal. It is all black/ white so if your Sonos kit is working without interruptions in music play it can't get any better on this count.

It might be interesting to see what channel Sonos is using - with Airport using 11 the recommended for Sonos is 1 to avoid interference. But again, if things are fine, best leave them the way they are.
PS: I don't know if you have reserved IP addresses in Airport for the two connects and any other Sonos devices including the device that hosts the controller. This recommended practice that will avoid IP address conflicts is easy to do via Airport Utility and has no downside.
PS: I don't know if you have reserved IP addresses in Airport for the two connects and any other Sonos devices including the device that hosts the controller. This recommended practice that will avoid IP address conflicts is easy to do via Airport Utility and has no downside.

No I haven't done this. How is this done?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
You need to have a look at your router guide to see how.
Open airport utlity, select the extreme for editing, select the network tab, and change the DHCP range to leave some spaces for reservations. So if that was from say 2 to 200, change that to 10 to 200.

Doing that will allow you to add via the + button Sonos devices for DHCP reservation. In the box that opens up when you hit +, you will have to enter the Mac address of each Sonos device and associate that with an IP address from the spaces freed up as above that you also enter. The Mac address is available via the Sonos controller when you select about my Sonos system after tapping the Sonos name in the left corner of the controller screen on a computer. It is the device serial number, the first 12 characters of the 13 character serial number.
Here's a guide on how to do that, which has some screenshots: http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how_to_configure_a_static_dhcp_reservation_with_airport_extreme/