Answered

Beam Wireless Issue

• 23 September 2018
  • 9 replies

Recently set up a new Beam wirelessly last week. One day in and the Sonos Controller app could not locate the Beam on with my iPhone or iPad.

I reset the controller to no avail. I attempted to reconnect the beam with the button near the power input, which also was unrecognized on the app.

I am now connected to my router via Ethernet and the Beam works. I followed instructions to the Wireless Setup page on the Sonos app and my wireless network is not visible. I manually entered the details and the app states there was a problem connecting to my network.

This is a 2.4 GHz network and the Beam was able to be set up the first time without issue using this network. I only have 2 other devices (iPhone and iPad that use the controller app). I want to use the wireless network features for AirPlay2 support.
icon

Best answer by ejs323 25 September 2018, 06:12

Issue resolved. Needed to disable the airtime fairness function on my router.

Thank you all for the assistance.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

While it’s connected and showing up in the controller, submit a diagnostic, and post the number here, or call in to Sonos. There may be an issue with the Wi-Fi on your device.
Diagnostic report #960202236 submitted.
I want to use the wireless network features for AirPlay2 support.
How the Beam is connected is totally irrelevant. Airplay works in the local subnet. The target (the Beam) can be wired, wireless on SonosNet, wireless on WiFi.
While that may be how it should work, it unfortunately does not. I am completely unable to connect to the Beam via AirPlay 2. The option is visible in iOS, but I cannot connect or stream direct to the Beam without going into the Sonos app.

Either way, this is a brand new item that doesn’t connect wirelessly the way it is supposed to. It won’t connect to my Wifi and I cannot stream via AirPlay 2.
This may be stating the obvious but you are on iOS 12?
Yes, I updated to iOS 12 before I purchased the Beam.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Have you tried rebooting your router? I would disconnect the wired connection of the Beam to router, unplug the Beam, then reboot the router. After a minute or so, plug the Beam back in. Check to see if the Beam is visible through the Sonos app. If it is, then see if you can connect through airplay.
Didn’t work, unfortunately. I’ll call in to support shortly. Sorry to say my first experience with the Beam has been less than stellar thus far.
Issue resolved. Needed to disable the airtime fairness function on my router.

Thank you all for the assistance.