Answered

Beam wifi connectivity

• 18 December 2020
  • 3 replies

My Sonos beam bar worked perfectly for 3 months (predominantly being used to play music from my iPhone via the home WiFi network). Over the last few weeks my Sonos is not available to stream my music through, unless I turn my router on and off again. Every time I turn my router on / off I can use the Beam again, but only once, then when I go to use it again it is not available to connect to. If I go into the Sonos app, I get an error message saying “unable to connect to Sonos”, until I turn the router on / off again! any ideas for W fix very welcome! 

icon

Best answer by Paul A 18 December 2020, 19:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

H @Iain17Uk.

Thanks for the update and immediate response and for submitting a diagnostic.

I would like to recommend contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. The diagnostic shows that the controller is not connected to your Sonos Beam even if our system shows your Sonos Beam to be online. My recommendation would help us determine where and what device the Beam is connected to as we also have the capability to trigger a remote diagnostic on our end so we can have a little comparison on the device the mobile controller is connected to and the Beam.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how it goes. I’ll be more than happy to help if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply, I’ve tried step 2 and 3 without any success, Step one is not practical as my Beam is wall mounted. I’m unsure if it should make any difference but my beam is also connected to a tv by a cable and works fine as a tv speaker, it just appears there is an issue when using it wirelessly. I would also clarify that I am not rebooting the Beam to get it to work, I am rebooting my Router. The WiFi / router is working for all other uses, it only appears to be the beam that is not working. 

I have submitted a diagnostic report (12366798).

answer to the following questions:

1. Router make and model. 
    TP-LINK - Archer MR200 WiFi 4G Router - AC 750, Dual-band
  2. Modem make and model. Unknown (wireless router using mobile data sim) 
  3. Wifi booster or extender make and model. - n/a
  4. Mesh system make and model. - n/a
  5. Secondary or tertiary router make and model. N/a
  6. Other devices wired to the router. None wired. 
  7. Network switch or hub make and model. Unknown 
  8. Other devices wirelessly connected to the router. 4 TVs, MacBook, 2 iPhones 

Thanks,

Iain

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Iain17Uk.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I know how confusing it can be that it requires a system reboot every time your Sonos Beam does not function accordingly. Let me help you out with that.

I would like to recommend the following steps.

1. If your Beam is wirelessly connected, can we connect the Beam to the router via ethernet cable to see if that would be a solution to the problem?
  2. Do we have the same behavior using another mobile controller?
  3. Can we try following the guide about wireless interference?

If the above recommendation does not work, I would like to ask if we can submit a diagnostic from your working computer Sonos App so we can check what is going on. I would also like to ask if we can provide some details about your network to be able to understand your network layout.

1. Router make and model.
  2. Modem make and model.
  3. Wifi booster or extender make and model.
  4. Mesh system make and model.
  5. Secondary or tertiary router make and model.
  6. Other devices wired to the router.
  7. Network switch or hub make and model.
  8. Other devices wirelessly connected to the router.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everybody can help you out.

Thanks,