Answered

Beam volume

#Beam Using the ARC connection with my Samsung tv I have no volume level numbers displayed when I adjust up or down, just a plus and a minus symbol and a Receiver HDMI ICON.
Is this how it is for others or should I see a numbers.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 24 July 2018, 20:02

I don’t have volume numbers on my screen either. I am using the optical input on a Samsung Q9FN. I have also tried it using arc but that was the same and I can’t afford to give up an hdmi input just to have Alexa turn the tv on and off. I used to have volume numbers on my Samsung sound bar using optical so I don’t see why this doesn’t work.
In part, using the optical connection you're not generally expected to see the volume numbers. Optical is one directional, so the TV doesn't know what volume the Beam is playing at. When the TV does display a volume bar/numbers for an optical connection, it's usually just a guess based on the IR that the TV has seen. It's possible that a Samsung TV and soundbar were linked using another protocol in addition to the optical which was sharing the information about the volume bar.

What do you see when you press the volume buttons on the remote? Does anything come up? If not, you could try turning the TV's speakers on, and outputting audio on both, then plug something into the headphone port. This could work, assuming the TV will output to optical and headphone at the same time. The TV would think it's playing audio on it's speakers, and the volume bar would show you what the TV thinks the volume is at, but it wouldn't be linked to the volume of the Beam.

Further to my last message. If I pull the plug out and then back in the TV goes to standby mode obviously. If I then ask the Beam to turn on the TV it does it fine, it will also turn it off again in the same way however it won't do it again as the TV then forgets the Beam is connected (see above) and although Alexa says its turning it on nothing happens.
What happens if you set the TV to use the input that the Beam is connected on? Does off/on work then? This might be something best discussed with Samsung to see if they have any specific tricks for that TV model. It sounds like the Beam is sending the commands just fine, but the TV is going deaf to them.

If anyone's still having trouble with CEC setup or getting certain commands to work, this thread may help clear things up.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Same for me. Just managed to get my Samsung to link to my Beam and it’s just a plus or minus.
Same with my Samsung...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys, we'd love to take a look into this one. First off, what model numbers are you working with there for your TVs?

Have you fully set up CEC on those TVs for Beam? Are you able to use voice control from Beam with Alexa to turn the TV on?
Samsung UN40MU6300... Yes CEC is on. I can turn on the TV speaking with Alexa, but cannot turn it off. No other devices are plugged into any other ports on the TV.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I think it is a normal behavior.
I have my samsung KS 8000 connected to a Denon avr via arc and it is the same.
I just think that the audio device should display the volume level.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
For those TVs, can you check for this setting: System > Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) > Auto Turn Off? It needs to be set On so that a device can send the off command to it.
For me above, Anynet is ON in my Samsung UN40MU6300... I can turn on the TV speaking with Alexa, but cannot turn it off. No other devices are plugged into any other ports on the TV. When adjusting volume, I only see + and - on screen. No volume level numbers displayed like pre-Beam.
Badge +1
I have arc connection for my Samsung Q7 tv. But when i change channel the volumecontrol isent working until i turn arc of and on again. What to do?
I have a Samsung UE55JU6472 TV. Alexa is set up but does not turn the TV on or off. This is probably due to the fact that Anynet connection won't find the Beam at all. The only way it works is if I turn the TV off at the plug and back on again and then it connects to it and works fine (no numbers on the volume but I can cope with that) until I turn the TV off onto standby again and it forgets it completely when I put it back on and I am back to having nothing working. The Alexa is not a make or break for me so I will try the optical connection when I can find my old lead!
Further to my last message. If I pull the plug out and then back in the TV goes to standby mode obviously. If I then ask the Beam to turn on the TV it does it fine, it will also turn it off again in the same way however it won't do it again as the TV then forgets the Beam is connected (see above) and although Alexa says its turning it on nothing happens.
I don’t have volume numbers on my screen either. I am using the optical input on a Samsung Q9FN. I have also tried it using arc but that was the same and I can’t afford to give up an hdmi input just to have Alexa turn the tv on and off. I used to have volume numbers on my Samsung sound bar using optical so I don’t see why this doesn’t work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Also have a Samsung TV and only get the +/- for volume, no numbers. Before the Beam was connected, I used a receiver for the audio connected to the HDMI-ARC port. That was also +/-, no numbers. That tells me that this is being driven by Samsung, not Sonos. Although I can't really explain why there were volume numbers with the Samsung soundbar.

As far as the TV forgetting the Beam, I've sort of seen this on mine. It seems like the TV has a sort of sleep mode or memory in which it will remember what it was connected to for a short period of time. So if you go to use your TV the next day, it doesn't remember that it was talking with a Beam the day before. However, at least on my tv, this isn't the end of the world as the TV will redo the connection with the Beam and switch to dolby digital automatically.

Where the above becomes confusing is during initial setup. Say you had a firetv stick connected to the ARC port before setup. After removing it and plugging in a Beam, the TV is still acting like it's connected to a firetv and won't recognize the Beam. If you wait a significant amount of time, or just unplug the TV, the TV will forget about firetv and recognize that it's now dealing with the Beam.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
In part, using the optical connection you're not generally expected to see the volume numbers. Optical is one directional, so the TV doesn't know what volume the Beam is playing at. When the TV does display a volume bar/numbers for an optical connection, it's usually just a guess based on the IR that the TV has seen. It's possible that a Samsung TV and soundbar were linked using another protocol in addition to the optical which was sharing the information about the volume bar.

What do you see when you press the volume buttons on the remote? Does anything come up? If not, you could try turning the TV's speakers on, and outputting audio on both, then plug something into the headphone port. This could work, assuming the TV will output to optical and headphone at the same time. The TV would think it's playing audio on it's speakers, and the volume bar would show you what the TV thinks the volume is at, but it wouldn't be linked to the volume of the Beam.

What happens if you set the TV to use the input that the Beam is connected on? Does off/on work then? This might be something best discussed with Samsung to see if they have any specific tricks for that TV model. It sounds like the Beam is sending the commands just fine, but the TV is going deaf to them.

If anyone's still having trouble with CEC setup or getting certain commands to work, this thread may help clear things up.
When using optical I see Sonos optical with plus and minus above and below it so if my tv knows it’s a Sonos plugged into the optical input it should also know what volume it’s on. I get the same thing on screen with hdmi just with hdmi arc replacing optical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Optical is a one way connection. Sonos can't tell the TV what it is through that line. Unless your tv is different then mine, all you can set on the tv is that you want it to send audio down the optical channel instead of it's own speakers. As Ryan stated above, any volume notification would have to just say that it knows the volume was moved up or down. You can confirm this by using a voice command to turn up the volume on the beam. You shouldn't see any volume notification on the tv screen since there is no way the tv would know you just asked it to turn up the volume.

HDMI-ARC is a two connection. Sonos knows it's talking with a Samsung TV (or at least it knows it connected to a TV that accepts CEC commands), and the TV knows TV knows it's connected to Sonos (or at least it knows it's connected to audio player and what audio formats it accepts). When a volume command is sent to the TV or the Beam (through the Sonos app or voice) the command should be shared so both TV and Beam know about it. So I'd expect to any volume command to cause a volume notification on the screen.

I would guess that communicating where volume is on the scale is a part of CEC, but it's one of those things that some TVs may choose not to implement, as seems to be the case with Samsung.

Disclaimer: I'm only coming to these conclusions by what I've heard on these forums and what I've seen in my own experiences., then reverse engineering it when I think I can. I reserve the right to be 100% wrong on this. 😃
Same problems here. I have a Beam connected via HDMI/arc to a Samsung UE49MU6500. Under the tv’s external device manager Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) is enabled. I can turn the tv on via Alexa but when I ask for the tv to be turned off, she says “ok” but nothing happens. The volume can be adjusted via remote but no number setting appears. Nothing appears at all on screen when Alexa adjusts the volume. Incidentally, the Beam demo in the store I bought it from did show a numerical volume level when turning up/down, but I don’t recall what TV they used.
Badge +1
Samsung MU6290 connected to HDMI(Arc) i see +/- volume notification only if i using original Samsung remote or remote for digital box ,but if i setup Bose Solo 5 remote- nothing,i don't have volume notification on screen. Also like many others i can't turn off tv (tried both commands(turn of tv and turn off room name ... ) . Luckily no lip sync problem ,no dropouts (for now ).
Hi all, I don't think this is a Beam Issue or HDMI ARC as 2-3 years ago I purchased a playbar and the same issue happened with no volume numbers showing on the TV when you increase/decrease. Perhaps this is a software requirement update? Would really help. Model of TV is Samsung UE49KU6500
I have this same issue. Samsung UE40KU6020K connected to my Beam via HDMI ARC/CEC. I've turned the Anynet+ On on the TV (there's only 1 setting On/OFF). It works ok but I only see + / - when I press the volume up and down. No level displayed. I don't understand why there are videos on you tube with Samsungs connected to a Beam and they get a nice Anynet+ box appearing with a volume level displayed . E.g this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6F2QFQH0YM at 6.17 into the video. I contacted UK Samsung support live chat and they insisted this meant that the Beam doesn't support Anynet+ properly. Doesn't make much sense to me. I have seen no reply on this forum that actually helps here - can someone from Sonos help out here? It's pretty simple - I am connected to a beam using ARC and I want the Volume level to be displayed on the TV.