Answered

Beam Sony Bravia xh95/x950h CEC problem

• 14 March 2021
  • 9 replies

My Sony xh95 (x950h) and Beam are not connecting. I'm using the Beam's included hdmi cable into the tv's hdmi arc port. I've switched Bravia sync on, which I understand is Sony's term for CEC.

The TV can see that something's in the port as it is shown as a connected input, but the Beam does not show up in the Bravia sync device list, no audio is outputted and the sonos app reports a CEC error. Spotify works fine on the Beam via the android app. 

Any help appreciated! Feel like I've tried everything. 

icon

Best answer by DrR0b3rts 20 May 2021, 21:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I wanted to update this just to close the loop: it was a fault with the tv.

It developed problems across all the hdmi ports, for example, my PS5 and cable boxes would give 'no signal' errors, as well as the soundbar issues.

Anyway, it went off to the repair shop, they swapped out the motherboard and everything works great now, including the Beam which connected first time.

Love the combo of the Beam and 2 x Play 1s and the help I got from Sonos was great. 

Badge

Thanks for response. I’ve called Tech Support and they were helpful but looks like a TV issue. Sony support not able to resolve yet either. Just seems to be a CEC connection issue between the Beam and the Bravia that I just can’t get around. I can maybe just live with the digital audio connection… 

Will update if I find a solution but open to any more suggestions if anyone has solved this!

Did you get a solution or simply stuck with Optical?

Badge

Hello,

Try using a “better” HDMI cable. It may have to be 2.0 or 2.1.

I had the same problem and actually went from an older Sony TV to XH90 (very similar to yours). I was using the same HDMI cable (the one that came with the Beam) and when I tried switching to the cable that came with the PS5 (which is 2.1), it worked normally.

I have stuck with optical for now. The TV is alexa compatible and the beam can read the Sony's IR remote so I'm not missing out on too much.

I'll try a few more hdmi cables (have tried ps5 one) but think I'll be waiting for a future firmware update to perhaps fix it. 

Badge

I have stuck with optical for now. The TV is alexa compatible and the beam can read the Sony's IR remote so I'm not missing out on too much.

I'll try a few more hdmi cables (have tried ps5 one) but think I'll be waiting for a future firmware update to perhaps fix it. 

This is so weird.

So, basically, eveything set to Auto, Bravia Sync on, PS5 HDMI cable and HDMI port 3?

Even without the sound, was the TV remote changing the Beam’s volume? You can check this by watching the Beam lights and on the app with TV selected.

Yep, all of the above. The Beam is never picked up as a Bravia Sync device. When the remote is in Bluetooth mode, the Beam doesn't respond to volume commands or output any audio. It responds to IR commands from the remote when Bluetooth is switched off and connected via optical. 

It's a mystery to me, but l am otherwise really pleased with my setup of the Beam and 2 x Play:1s via the hdmi/optical adaptor.

Thanks for response. I’ve called Tech Support and they were helpful but looks like a TV issue. Sony support not able to resolve yet either. Just seems to be a CEC connection issue between the Beam and the Bravia that I just can’t get around. I can maybe just live with the digital audio connection… 

Will update if I find a solution but open to any more suggestions if anyone has solved this!

Whew. Nice to know the resolution, thanks for posting it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DrR0b3rts 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

First, Bravia Sync is indeed Sony’s term for CEC, and Sonos needs it in order to work over HDMI-ARC.

I recommend you unplug your TV from power for at least 30 seconds. Please unplug the Beam from power too. Plug the Beam back in, and when it gets a solid white light, plug in the TV too.

Double-check the TV settings, and see if you can get TV audio from the Beam.

If you’re still having problem, please repeat the unplugging, but disconnect any other HDMI devices from the TV. If that works, connect your devices back up, one at a time and testing each time, until you find the problem device. If you can, disable CEC on that device. If that’s not an option, you may need to get CEC-less adaptor for it.

If you still don’t get your TV and Beam to connect properly, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.