Answered

Beam receiving dolby 5.1 but no surround sound

• 30 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi there, I’m trying to set up surround sound using 2 x play 1 and a beam. It works great when playing music but if I stream Netflix I only get sound from the beam. I’ve checked and the beam is receiving Dolby digital 5.1 audio in but there is still no sound coming from either play 1. 

icon

Best answer by Letsgetitworking 30 December 2021, 18:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Are the Play:1s bonded/added to the Beam as surrounds? What specifically are you testing on Netflix? Does the Now Playing screen on the Sonos app display “Dolby Digital 5.1”? Have you adjusted the TV Level higher under the Surround Audio settings for the Beam?

Keep in mind that even with 5.1 audio, you will not always hear audio playing out of the surround speakers. The surrounds will usually only play sound effects of action that is happening behind the camera, ambient sounds, and the musical score.

Badge

Have you turned on Dolby in TV’s settings?

Are the Play:1s bonded/added to the Beam as surrounds? What specifically are you testing on Netflix? Does the Now Playing screen on the Sonos app display “Dolby Digital 5.1”? Have you adjusted the TV Level higher under the Surround Audio settings for the Beam?

Keep in mind that even with 5.1 audio, you will not always hear audio playing out of the surround speakers. The surrounds will usually only play sound effects of action that is happening behind the camera, ambient sounds, and the musical score.

Thank you for the reply. 

Yes they are bonded to the Beam as surrounds. I’ve tried a number of different movies on Netflix and made sure they have dolby 5.1 available on them (eg. interstellar, baby driver - lots of music, action and surround sounds). I set tv level for the surround to +10. This made music coming from spotify on the TV sound great but still no sound in the Play:1s when playing movies. On the now playing screen is shows dolby digital 2.0, not 5.1…. maybe this is part of the issue?

In the TV settings I cannot turn on Dolby Atmos as I don’t have premium Netflix so don’t get atmos. The atmos settings are greyed out until I try playing something that actually has it.  

In case it helps, the TV is a 2020 Samsung TU7000. Beam is connected via E-arc

So I had previously done this but decided to try again this morning and it fixed all the issues. 

I reset both Play:1s and added them as surround units again. And it worked…. 

Thank you for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You’ve not turned off wireless on any of the speakers?

It might be worth generating a diagnostics report and contacting Sonos support. 

This shows how: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US