Answered

beam not seeing connection on Hdmi or optical athough tv is showing it as conected on port

Tried everything that has been suggested on the forum but still no luck. Tried phoning, no luck, so hope fully getting answer here. Tv is a HD Panasonic quite new.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 28 May 2021, 15:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Hi.  For anyone to be able to help, you will have to provide a much fuller description of the problem, what you have done and what has been happening (e.g. error messages).

The error message is on the Sonos app saying it an not see the hdmi arc connection tried the optical connection as well same message. Tried swapping cables no joy. Tried all the tv settings, set to external amplifier. Also when you go into the advanced setting on the Panasonic you can see what is connected on each hdmi port and it is showing that the beam is connected on the arc port. 
 It also did work for a while then stopped completely. 

hope you can help.

Oh yes so you know, I have tried powering off completely and doing a factory reset plugging in only the beam, still no joy.

So this was a new system setup, with the Beam as the first product? And setup worked initially, presumably,  as you say the Beam worked for a while?

You are now trying to set the system up again after factory resetting it and cannot do so?

Is that a correct summary of what has happened?

Can you play music sources? Or could you previously?

yes it can play music, as i say it is seen by the tv on the arc hdmi port. I have tried new cables as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Flyboy570 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please disconnect any other HDMI devices from the TV, then unplug the TV and Beam from power for 30 seconds.

Switch TV and Beam back on and test.

If you now get TV audio from the Beam, great. You’ll then need to reconnect each device back to the TV, one at a time, and test after each device is connected.

Once you have identified the device causing the problem, see if you can disable CEC on it. CEC might be called something else, but if you do an internet search for the device’s name and CEC, you’ll probably find instructions. If no option to disable CEC can be found, you’ll need to get a CEC-less HDMI adaptor to strip the CEC from the HDMI connection physically. They are cheap.

If this doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Have you checked the the Viera link option is turned on within your Panasonic TV settings?

Ross.

Thanks for this, away working at moment so will try all these when I get back. I don’t know what CEC is but will look it up . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Flyboy570 

No problem - let us know if you need more help when you’re back.

CEC is Consumer Electronics Control and is how HDMI devices are able to tell a TV that they have had their Play button pressed so that the TV switches to their input, or the TV, when being turned off, can tell all the devices connected to it to turn off too. It is essentially a small network run by the TV, but some devices can conflict due to the different way different manufacturers implement the standard (which really isn’t standard enough).

If I remember correctly, CEC started with the SCART connections in Europe.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

To add insult to injury most manufacturers have their own name for CEC. Bravia Link, Anynet, Simplink, or Viera Link are all implementations of CEC…..

I have tried all the suggestions but still no luck so running out of ideas except to accept defeat and sell it on eBay 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I'd call Sonos first….

I tried once never got through. The number as a uk number but sounded like it was being forwarded abroad