Beam not recogonizing tv

Show first post

46 replies

Was so happy to see this product released as I have 6 Sonos speakers throughout the house. Thought this would be another feel good purchase. Initial setup was not smooth. I have a Samsung UN49MU7000F with ARC HDMI. Sonos setup thru the app could not verify CEC but eventually got it to work by skipping and went thru with calibration. TV recognized Sonos as "Receiver HDMI". Every time the TV is turned off the Beam loses connectivity. I followed Ryan S. instructions above and TV recognized the device as Sonos. Figured that would stick. Again, after shutting down for the night, the Beam does not engage and TV defaults to TV speaker. In Sonos app I can pick the designated room for Beam and select TV but I get nothing. No combination of removing and reinstalling cables brings it back. I have to unplug TV and go through setup each time. Huge disappointment. I need some reassurance this is being looked at or it has to go back. Useless as is.
Badge
I agree completely I have been in touch via email with the slow responding Sonos team (phone waits of an hour are abusive to customers), they tell me send in diagnostics to do what you have been doing! It doesn’t work. simple fact they promised a feature that does not work!!!! I use mine via toslink adapter and it is just a regular sound bar! NOT what I paid for! They are going IPO good luck with that.
Hi,
After struggling all yesterday evening with the TV (Samsung) not recognizing the Beam via HDMI ARC, I gave it a last try this morning before returning the Beam. But first I unplugged the power from both Beam and the TV and disconnected all HDMI-connections on the TV. Ran the setup via the app, and got connected within seconds! It works! The old trick of turning on/off never gets old I guess. And off is totally off.

Good luck!

Well, it doesn't work perfectly. I need to unplug my TV to get sound through the Beam when I switch from music or the TV has been off a while.

I hope Sonos are on this issue. Anyone who knows the status or know anything about this?
Badge
why would anyone want to have to disconnect all connections reboot, reinstall every time they want to go from music to tv?? Sonos never mentioned that in the Beam description.... No response from Sonos on a fix as far as I am aware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've seen reported issues with Samsung TVs with initial setup and the CEC controls, but not around getting audio out of the Beam once setup. I've had no such issues with my Samsung TV.

You've probably already looked into this, but just to make sure it's covered, are your sure the Beam is set with TV as the source when your TV is on? You can configure the Beam to automatically switch to TV when it senses a signal, or you can do it manually. The configuration is in the room settings, I forget exactly where off hand.

Another thing to consider is it the other devices connected to your TV, if CEC enabled, could be causing issues. Some of the devices be configured with CEC turned off. Others, can effectively be turned off be using a non-CEC compliant cable or adapter. You can test out which other device might be causing the issue through trial and error.
Badge
I have just a Samsung CEC/Anynet TV and the Beam. I use the TV switch manually, or auto switching. The TV says "starting CEC/Anynet devices",IE: the Beam, but then the TV resorts to TV sound and the TV says "NO CEC/Anynet connected"! EVERY TIME. I agree that once setup if only in TV mode I have a BEAM/Samsung connection, but as soon as it's closed either via turning off or switching to music the only way to get a connection again is to disconnect everything turn everything off and start again. Not really the functionality that Sonos claimed! It works great via Toslink but thats not what I bought. Coulda bought a Bose. Hopefully Sonos update the software but they are silent on this issue. Do I hear "Apple"
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have just a Samsung CEC/Anynet TV and the Beam. I use the TV switch manually, or auto switching. The TV says "starting CEC/Anynet devices",IE: the Beam, but then the TV resorts to TV sound and the TV says "NO CEC/Anynet connected"! EVERY TIME. I agree that once setup if only in TV mode I have a BEAM/Samsung connection, but as soon as it's closed either via turning off or switching to music the only way to get a connection again is to disconnect everything turn everything off and start again. Not really the functionality that Sonos claimed! It works great via Toslink but thats not what I bought. Coulda bought a Bose. Hopefully Sonos update the software but they are silent on this issue. Do I hear "Apple"

It could be an issue with the specific TV model (I doubt it). If that's the case, you aren't going to get a soundbar to work through ARC properly. If the issue is Sonos, it could be a problem with your specific unit. I say that since I don't have that issue. I'd reproduce the issue and submit a diagnostic. Sonos would be able to see what's going on there. If it's a defective unit, they'd replace it. I honestly would be surprised if it's software issue on Sonos side.

As far as claimed functionality, it's clearly not expected behavior. It works for the majority of users and the features that don't work are because they are not implemented in the TV side. So maybe Sonos could have said what issues they've seen on which devices, but that's not really positive marketing. Besides, I don't know how much Samsung would appreciate Sonos publicly saying they think they're TV CEC implementation is poor.
Badge
I submitted Diagnostics, I was asked to do it again I did not, I have spent way to many hours on this! I am a high end audio guy so not unfamiliar with computer audio TV's and component functionality. I see many posts on this chat in the Sonos Community, other threads too, all describing this issue and no satisfaction. If you look outside Sonos there are numerous users that have returned their Beam's for this exact problem. So while it could be my TV or me, I tend to think not. Sonos -Samsung? Got to go with Samsung as having their act together before Sonos. That's my call. Footnote: I could get telephone support from Sonos with a five minute wait before the Beam, now it's an hour plus, coincidence???
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Never said you were the problem. Like I said before, seen plenty of issues, but not this specific issue till this thread...but I don't read everything.

If you're done with trying to troubleshoot the issue, then I guess it's just venting frustration at this point?

And of course, support is going to be busiest when sales are busiest, such as holidays or new product releases. I'm not surprised at all. If there is a bug on the Sonos side here, Sonos is usually pretty good about letting the community here now about it. If it's a defective Beam, they'll replace it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi robyatt, I just checked out the diagnostics linked with your account and it looks like both of them were with the Beam hooked up via optical. Could you get it into that state where it should be playing audio via HDMI-ARC and it isn't, and then send a new diagnostic?

We've seen some TVs have trouble with ARC and it shows up on the diagnostic in some cases. I'd like to see if that's what's happening here.

Also, I didn't catch which model of TV you're working with, do you mind posting that too?
Badge
Ok thanks when I get time I will and will post # with TV model
Lg uk7550 brand new tv. Same
Issue.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-beam-and-lg-uk7550-arc-problems-6811073
Solved on Samsung! I have a brand new samsund 8 series premium UHD and had the tv not recognized problem plugged into the arc. Just as I was about to give up I used one of my hdmi cords and it worked! I have the Belkin AV10175bt2M on amazon for $29. It’s the ultra high speed, with all the latest hdmi tech that I don’t understand but it worked for this bar. I’m guessing that the hdmi cable that Sonos shipped is just a cheap low end that can’t handle the updates? Idk, this is my first Sonos product and that doesn’t exactly make me want more...we’ll see how the audio quality is but anyone with this issue, trying using an hdmi cable that you know for sure works. I have the belkin for my Apple TV 4K and my Xbox One X, using my Xbox cable so now I need to buy a new one. Hey Sonos, wanna kick me $30 to replace your piece of junk cord?
I spent three hours today dealing with customer support at Sonos because the beam wouldn’t connect to my TV. I kept getting the message on the app that there was no ARC-HDMI connection but per diagnostics everything was connected just fine. In between they made me call Philips and ask them questions to which they had no answers. And then I had to be on hold for over a half an hour to connect back to a Sonos representative. In the end I was told that my problem had to go to engineering who would be in touch with me at some point via email to then schedule an appointment to discuss. So I took to google… Thank you!!! To those here who posted that turning off the TV helped to make the ARC – HDMI connection. That’s exactly what I did. I turned off my TV for about 15 minutes and after turning it back on went onto the app and hit “try again“ under room setting - tv and it connected!!!!!! Why customer care doesn’t think to do this is beyond me. Wasted my whole afternoon!
I think they tend to assume that CEC/ARC-HDMI is working. My personal experience is that it's relatively fragile, and can get in a "bad" state fairly easily, so a full power cycle of the TV is always on my list of things.

But what I don't know is if it's just bad implementation of the software, or a hardware issue, etc. So hard to point the finger at the TV manufacturers or the designers of the API.

Delighted it's working for you. Perhaps someone at Sonos will add it to their "script" of things to check
@msterling1559; so you,re saying that the cable using ARC from Sonos are the problem on Anynet+.? I have the same tv KS8000 samsung, could you share screenshot? Dose The TV automatically switch to Reciever HDMI when switched on?.....
I had a similar issue where it was not recognizing the TV via the Sonos. Thankfully one of the above posters stated to take all HDMI cables out of the TV and then plug the HDMI ARC from the Sonos to the ARC port in the TV. I then ran set up in the Sonos App and it immediately fixed the issue.
I purchased the Sonos Beam about two months ago. It is connected to my Samsung 800 series TV. Samsung uses Connect One that allows you to connect 4 different HDMI devices to it. In my case I have my cable box, a blu ray player, Fire Cube TV and the beam all connected to the Connect One. The beam has never worked properly from the beginning. As many have stated, once the TV is turned off the connection with the Beam is lost and the sound reverts back to the TV speakers.

Based on some of the comments in this forum I tried connecting each of the above separately to see if I could determine which device was causing the Beam not to work as intended. Through trial and error I found that the Amazon Fire TV was the culprit. The Beam works fine with the cable box and blu ray player hooked up to Connect One and my Samsung TV. However, when I hook up the HDMI for Fire TV and turn the TV off and back on and the sound reverts back to the TV speakers.

Work around:
Knowing that there is a compatibility issue with Fire TV and the Beam I have left the Fire TV unplugged from the Connect One and the Beam works fine. If I want to use Fire TV for any reason, while the TV and Beam are on and working properly I can connect Fire TV and play whatever I want from Fire TV. The sound comes through the Beam as it should. When I’m done using Fire TV, I unplug the HDMI for this device from Connect One and the Beam continues to work as intended even after the TV is turned off and back on.

Hopefully Sonos will work with Amazon and develop a software update that fixes the problem.
Badge
Hi,
After struggling all yesterday evening with the TV (Samsung) not recognizing the Beam via HDMI ARC, I gave it a last try this morning before returning the Beam. But first I unplugged the power from both Beam and the TV and disconnected all HDMI-connections on the TV. Ran the setup via the app, and got connected within seconds! It works! The old trick of turning on/off never gets old I guess. And off is totally off.

Good luck!

Thank you! Worked like a charm!
I had to go in to my brand new Samsung Frame TV and turn on the HDMI CEC settings and then the ARC connection worked fine.
Exactly the same issue as reported above usi g the sonos beam and a Philips 65PUS7303/12 TV. Only when I power cycle the TV does it appear to work, then it'll randomly revert back to TV speakers and won't let me switch back to the beam. I'm giving this one more week and if there isn't a solution I can find I'm returning it. I don't expect to pay this much for such a problematic product and seeing the responses above it doesn't fill me with much confidence in sonos or their lack of support on this pretty significant issue. You make a speaker that won't play sound from various TV manufacturers, suggesting it's not them, it's you. Yet, nothing. I don't think I'll be a sonos user for long based on this appauling first experience.