Beam not recogonizing tv

I have an older hdtv. I'm using the provided hdmi adapter via ARC ports. But beam is still saying doesnt recogonize the tv. I can only get music to come thru the beam bar and speakers. What else can I do to get the TV to connect as well?

46 replies

Badge
Well it may not be you... I just spent the morning installing and mounting my Beam including connecting it to my brand new 55" TCL TV with ARC on HDMI input 1, setting the TV system settings as instructed and running the Sonos app running the most recent update and it will not connect the Beam to the TV. It keeps reporting no CEC connection. Eventually I skipped that step and finished the setup process but that leaves me with a Beam that is no more functional than my Play1 speakers! And now I can't even figure out how to go back in the app to retest the connection if I change anything.

I will definitely be calling them tomorrow to see if they can resolve the issue
Same issue here, with samsung TV. I may use the optical audio cable adapter and bypass HDMI ARC until these issues are fixed.
Badge
That's being generously patient of you. I on the other hand am miffed that this product was shipped not ready for use given the number of people like myself with brand new TV's reporting no HDMI ARC connection. That is after all the main selling point of this unit. They need to fix this ASAP.
Well, I'm not very patient. I wasn't planning on spending this much money on a system, but I splurged. Now, literally, I'm on hold waiting to get a return authorization number so I can return this system. Really disappointed.
Badge
lorr916 - how old and what model is your tv?

I have tech support on Twitter and their first response was "CEC compatability comes down to TV hardware and firmware" then sent me a link from my TV's support site on to how to turn on ARC and System Audio Control in CEC. Except I had already done that... for my two week old TV. If they tell me this TV and all those other folks's Samsung TV's are simply not supported by BEAM and, unless the TV manufacturers issue an update, never will be, then this BEAM goes back.
Same here. Philips 55PUS7101/12
The beam can’t find ARC. Only optical works. But TV soundcontrol via Sonos App is not comfortable
Badge
Tech support did not have a solution but I found one searching forums for other soundbars and my TV... Disconnect all other HDMI inputs from the TV and then run the TV's CEC connection scan. It will find the BEAM and link it to the HDMI ARC port. Then go back in the SONOS app and run the setup process. It will test and confirm the connection and switch the audio output from the TV to the BEAM. You can then reconnect your other HDMI cables and the BEAM will continue to work. Be advised that after a power failure you may have to repeat this process.I have not tested whether unplugging the TV alone may erase the connection or unplugging the BEAM might erase it, or both, or neither.

Now I just have to figure out why the Alexa responsiveness of the BEAM is so hit and miss
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys, we'd love to look into this with you. As the Twitter team suggested, CEC compatibility is different for every manufacturer, and sometimes it's per TV model. That said, usually, the TCLs have pretty complete CEC command compatibility from what we've seen, and the Samsungs are pretty good too.

There are a few things I'd suggest to start with, and after that, I'd suggest you give us a call on our support line.

First off, if the normal setup isn't seeing CEC, try unplugging any other devices that are plugged into HDMI on the TV while setting up the Beam. This is to prevent any CEC conflicts with any other device that might be taking over.
Second, for that TCL picture you shared Tom, go ahead and have the cable setting on Auto, or 1.4 just in case. The Beam is using HDMI 1.4.
Third, it's always a good idea to try out a new/different HDMI cable to see if there's a problem with the one you have.

I have an older hdtv. I'm using the provided hdmi adapter via ARC ports. But beam is still saying doesnt recogonize the tv. I can only get music to come thru the beam bar and speakers. What else can I do to get the TV to connect as well?
Assuming your HDMI adapter has an ARC port, this should work fine. You may need to contact the manufacturer and see if they have any specifics about ARC and CEC compatibility.
I cannot connect Beam at all. My TV is Samsung LE37R82B please help, have been 4 hours at it now
CEC
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I cannot connect Beam at all. My TV is Samsung LE37R82B please help, have been 4 hours at it now
For the Beam, you need a TV with HDMI-ARC output, for the best functionality, or Digital Optical outputs, the manual for that TV, here, shows that the HDMI's only inputs, and I don't see an Optical connection. It looks like the only audio outputs on that TV are analog RCA outs. Any change you have the model number wrong?
Hi Ryan,
Thanks for your reply. The model no is correct. They are analog input/outputs but there are HDMI areas, but I see that they are not what’s needed. It look ? like that my TV is no good unless there is a way around this without changing the Tele as it’s fine and is in the bedroom.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Depending on what the source of your TV's content is, you may be able to hook the Beam up to that, like if you have a cable box, or Apple TV. Otherwise, you may need to do some creative converting.
Thanks Ryan. Yes I have an Apple TV connected and also an Edision OS Mega Satellite receiver, would they work?
Badge
Hi Ryan,
Yes it was I that found the work around of unplugging all other HDMI cables when setting up the Beam and sent it on to Sonos support via Twitter. However another user reported and I have confirmed that when I then switch between any of the other inputs ie from TV on HDMI 2 to Apple TV on HDMI 3 the TV immediately disconnects from the Beam on HDMI ARC and reverts to the TV's audio output and returning back to the previous input does not restore the CEC control. At this time and until its determined that a setting or patch to either the TV or Beam will prevent this I will have to try using the optical connection.

Ugh, this just keeps getting worse! I plugged in the optical adapter and confirmed it worked. When I unplugged it to route the cables through the channel the end cap on the adapter pulled right off and went flying somewhere under the furniture and is now nowhere to be found. Apparently it wasn't connected well. So how do I get another and how soon??
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks Ryan. Yes I have an Apple TV connected and also an Edision OS Mega Satellite receiver, would they work?
Worst case scenario, you can AirPlay from your Apple TV to your Beam, no cables needed. The satellite receiver may have an Optical output you could use with the connector.

@Tom, Glad you got that sorted out. Interesting case about that reversion, I'll mention it to our engineering team to look into. Sometimes these things live with the TV manufacturer, but we can also reach out to them to let them know what's happening.
Thanks RYAN for your help. Will try tomorrow.
Badge
Never mind my earlier comment about losing the cap on my optical adapter...I'm an idiot unfamiliar with optical cables. I didn't realize it was a protective cover and should have removed it before trying to plug it in. All is good now.
Badge
i connected my NEW beam after disconnecting all HDMI except my ARC enabled Anynet CEC Samsung TV. Eventually got it working! All good. Then switched to music use. NOW I cannot get the TV back!!!!! Did Anynet discovery, select HDMI/Receiver on TV that shows audio signal playing but my Sonos app says no tv connected!!!! I go through the discovery hook up process a dozen times- NOTHING!!!! This is disgraceful for a company like Sonos to sell and deliver a obviously non working product, as this thread proves!! As for calling Sonos support- 1 HOUR WAIT- so it appears they are crushed by unhappy BEAM customers!!! Solution please??????????????????
Hi Ryan,
GREAT NEWS it’s working!
Thanks to your idea and a very helpful Sonos representative after nearly 1 & 1/2 hours on the phone.
We connected the cable to the optical section at the back of the satellite Edision receiver and it’s working. To use the Apple TV you need to switch off the satellite box otherwise the satellite box sound plays through on the Apple TV section so it’s only a minor adjustment to go between both devices. Even have Alexa working too now.
So if anyone else is having the same issues with analog connections at the reverse of their TV and you have a satellite box with optical connection it will work.
Thank you again for your help.
After a dismissive response from Sonos support I sadly returned my Beam to Best Buy today ( on the same day I purchased it ) because I could not get it connected to ARC/CEC. Tried the workarounds mentioned here. No luck.
Badge
I have sound via optical adapter. Disconnected all HDMI except Beam. Anynet does not find Beam anymore. Tried other s vices in TV Arc HDMI no issues discovering them. So given it did work I assume it is now broken- ALREADY!!! So many people unhappy - Sonos????? Anything????
Hi,
After struggling all yesterday evening with the TV (Samsung) not recognizing the Beam via HDMI ARC, I gave it a last try this morning before returning the Beam. But first I unplugged the power from both Beam and the TV and disconnected all HDMI-connections on the TV. Ran the setup via the app, and got connected within seconds! It works! The old trick of turning on/off never gets old I guess. And off is totally off.

Good luck!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I just put up a list of some steps to work with if you're not getting the Beam and your TV to recognize each other on this thread for Samsung TVs. Since I've seen several of you mention those, I'll copy them here for you too.

Hi everyone, Beam uses CEC over HDMI-ARC to send commands to your TV such as On and Off. TV manufacturers often use different names for this protocol, Samsung calls it Anynet+.

We’re looking into some issues with certain Samsung TVs and CEC commands with Beam. You may find some commands working while other’s fail. In some cases, Beam may not be able to discover your TV. If you’re having trouble, we have some steps here to start with.

Check that your Beam is connected to the HDMI-ARC port of TV. Sometimes it’s just a problem with the cable or its connection, so make sure that’s in on both sides and connected to the HDMI-ARC port.

Confirm Anynet settings correct per TV manual. Open your Samsung TV’s System > Turn on Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) Please note that this option may be also in Expert Settings.

Disconnect the Beam from the HDMI. Then turn off the TV (make sure it’s fully off and not asleep), then reconnect the Beam to the HDMI-ARC port.

Disconnect all other non-BEAM devices from HDMI and then set up the Beam. If you have other CEC-enabled HDMI devices, you may want to turn CEC off on them if you don’t use those functions.

If you’re still having trouble, I’d suggest that you give us a call and we’ll help take a look at your setup.
Badge
Ok that connected the TV again. However switching to music on the system and later going back to TV same crap-NO SOUND BAR NIT DISCOVER BY anynet/cec!! I assume it means I have to disconnect power Re-do it again? Is that a viable option for a Sonos product? As for calling support 1 hour wait times are an insult to your customers. I emailed two days ago no response. I loved my Sonos music system but this making me think Bose!!!!!!!