Question

Beam not playing nice with Mac Mini over HDMI.

• 29 November 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi, I'm having an issue with the audio out over HDMI from my Mac Mini to the Sonos Beam. The other devices connected to the TV all work fine over HDMI-CEC but when I connect the Mac it won't play any audio and with it connected won't allow any other device to play audio either. Once I disconnect the HDMI lead from the TV all the other devices function normally again.

Any ideas?

For reference the devices are:

LG oled55e6v
Mac mini (Late 2012)
Virgin V6 cable box
Xbox One

Thanks,

Tim.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge
Surely I can't be the only person that's using a Mac mini and a Beam?

The clarify the issue:
Virgin V6 cable box and Xbox One connected to TV, everything works fine including the built in TV apps (Netflix, iPlayer etc.), plug the Mac into the TV via HDMI results in no sounds from the Mac and also no sound from the other devices or built in apps. Unplug Mac HDMI everything is fine again.

Thanks,

Tim.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Once your Mac is connected, you might go into your TV's sound settings and see what is selected as the audio output. If it's not Beam, see if you can change it. If you can't change it, then something about the Mac is preventing the TV from communicating with the Beam. If this is the case, an adapter like this might be helpful on the Mac's HDMI connection.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DL48KVI
Badge
The audio output is correct, not at home ATM but it says something like External ARC Speaker.

I'm pretty sure the cable I'm using is a non-CEC one but that adapter look interesting.

Thanks,

Tim.