Answered

Beam. Going back to tv sound.

• 3 September 2018
  • 5 replies

I’ve gone a beam set up through ARC it’s on an LG tv with magic remote. Alex works and can turn tv on and off. If I’m watching tv then decide to play music, but leave tv on, so I can see the picture but obviously have no sound due to music. How do I switch back to the tv sound with Alex. Tried everything stop music , alex play tv , switch to tv and so on. Only way I seem to be able to do it is take my phone out and select tv in the app. Seems sill this simple function. Can’t be done. As Alexa can not really do anything sort from turn my tv off and on and for this fiction I’m loosing a cantankerous HDMI port.
icon

Best answer by MikeV 4 September 2018, 00:01

The Alexa command to switch Beam back to TV sound is "Alexa, switch to TV on [room name]". That one should always work. You might be able to shorten it to "Alexa, switch to TV" if you know for certain that Beam is accepting your query and not another Alexa device.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

same problem except i cannot turn tv on/off
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Alexa command to switch Beam back to TV sound is "Alexa, switch to TV on [room name]". That one should always work. You might be able to shorten it to "Alexa, switch to TV" if you know for certain that Beam is accepting your query and not another Alexa device.
I have a TCL 55R617 (55") 4K Roku Smart LED TV that was having similar issues switching from TV to music and back again via Alexa on a Beam, connected via ARC. Basically I was having to use the Sonos app to toggle it, which is annoying because this is set up in an Airbnb property that we wanted to be fairly foolproof for guests. I tried quite a few things, but what finally worked using Alexa is what's in this thread, which was changing the direction to "Alexa, switch to TV on living room". The "on" part was pretty key, although "in" seems more intuitive. At this point it works pretty consistently, so just chiming in to support that language. In general, I can tell Alexa to play a specific radio station or genre, turn the TV off (but not on), toggle back and forth between music and TV, adjust the volume, and stop playback. So, it's a bit of a learning experience, but the toggle failure -- up until now -- was pretty annoying.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
"in the" would be the preferred alternative to "on", yes... I'm sure it's something about Alexa and how the system understands things... Since I don't think Sonos can tie into Alexa's own "room" groups, that could be part of why "in the" doesn't work... as maybe Alexa is looking for a room/group of its own versus the name of a Sonos zone.
Yeah, I spent some time trying to figure out how/if Sonos mapped rooms into Alexa devices and then I finally figured it wasn't an exact alignment, so I gave up on things like trying to name the devices in Alexa to align with Sonos. It didn't seem like part of the problem, but it was easy to try. After reading quite a bit on the forum here, I got some better clues/paths. The acid test will be documenting this for our AirBnB guests and seeing how it works for strangers. I've got about a dozen Sonos devices in our main living space, but only one that has Alexa, which I actually have not tried until we set it up in the rental. So, that may be useful in the future.