Beam Gen 2 Popping/Crackling On Video Start/Stop

• 7 October 2021
  • 13 replies

Badge

Hi all,

I recently replaced my Beam Gen 1 with a Gen 2 and, since then, I have noticed a popping/crackling sound whenever I start and stop videos on my Apple TV. I observed this behavior in Netflix and Prime. This issue did not happen at all with my Gen 1, and all of the equipment and chords are the same.

Equipment Settings

Apple TV 4K, Model A1842

• Video > Format > 4K SDR
  • Video > Match Content > Match Dynamic Range > On
  • Video > Match Content > Match Frame Rate > On
  • Audio Format > Change Format > Off
  • Audio Format > Dolby Atmos > On

Sony BRAVIA XR A80J

• Audio > Sound mode sync > On
  • Audio > A/V sync > Auto
  • Audio > eArc mode > Auto
  • Audio > Digital audio out > Auto 1
  • Audio > Dolby Digital Plus output > Dolby Digital Plus
  • Audio > Pass through mode > Auto

HDMI Cables are High Wings 8K UHD - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KSY32VR

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue with the Gen 2?

Thanks,

Kevin

13 replies

Userlevel 7

If you turn off Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate on the Apple TV, does it remove the popping/crackling?

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar changing those two settings made no difference, the popping still occurs.

In the Audio settings, I disabled Dolby Atmos and turned Change Format to Dolby 5.1 and that stopped the popping. A large part of the reason that I upgraded to the next generation Beam was for Dolby Atmos support while watching movies, so I’ll likely return it if there isn’t a solution for this.

I didn’t mention it in my original post, but my Sonos setup is:

1x Sonos Beam (Gen 2)

1x Sonos Sub

2x Sonos Play:1

@GuitarSuperstar changing those two settings made no difference, the popping still occurs.

In the Audio settings, I disabled Dolby Atmos and turned Change Format to Dolby 5.1 and that stopped the popping. A large part of the reason that I upgraded to the next generation Beam was for Dolby Atmos support while watching movies, so I’ll likely return it if there isn’t a solution for this.

I didn’t mention it in my original post, but my Sonos setup is:

1x Sonos Beam (Gen 2)

1x Sonos Sub

2x Sonos Play:1

Just perhaps for elimination purposes, have you tried your setup using the default HDMI cables that were provided with the products? Just to make sure that it isn’t related to the HDMI leads.

Badge

I should also mention that the Beam is plugged into the eArc HDMI port, and is wired to ethernet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Yeti Bash 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you haven’t tried rebooting all the involved devices by unplugging them for a minute or so, I recommend you do so. If that doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, but also to gather data on the issue. Thank you.

I have the same issue with my Sonos Beam gen 2. I noticed when the beam changes codecs/formats (like commercials in Hulu), this popping sound occurs. My Sonos Beam gen 2 is also connected to an Apple TV 4K and connected via eArc to a Sony x91cj. Any thoughts? Or should I contact support? I have not rebooted. 

Badge

@Catchselwyn I hope you find an answer! I ended up returning mine. It was difficult to perceive the increase in quality over the Beam Gen 1 and the benefits of having Dolby Atmos. I found that enabling Dolby Atmos on other devices also led to glitches. For example, on my Xbox One when I enabled it and tried to play Atmos-enabled video, it would freeze. I’m going to wait until there’s a fix for this issue or upgrade to the Arc. In the meantime, I’m still happy as a pig in s with my Beam Gen 1 :innocent:

Userlevel 3
Badge

I know this is a little late, but I have a similar situation with my Sonos Arc hooked up to my Sony A90J. I understand this thread is about the Beam Gen 2, but the Arc and Beam Gen 2 are both eARC capable, and thus result in LPCM output from the Apple TV 4k (when using the default settings). @Yeti Bash you weren’t experiencing this with the Beam Gen 1 as the output was exclusively Dolby Digital 5.1 and/or stereo due to regular ARC limitations.

@Corry P when will the LPCM issues end? We are still waiting for a proper down-mixing implementation, the low-volume issue remains, and folks continue to have popping and odd behavior when outputting LPCM via the Apple TV 4k.

Any resolution to this topic?  I have apple TV 4K 2nd Gen, connected to Sony TV, connected to Beam 2.  I get the loud pop and restart of apple TV and the beam 2 randomly when playing Atmos content from apple TV apps.  This does not seem to occur when playing atmos content from the Sony TV apps, even the same apps as those in the apple TV.   I’ve even replaced my apple TV and still occurring.  Tried different HDMI cables, resets, etc.  still same issue!

Any resolution to this topic?  I have apple TV 4K 2nd Gen, connected to Sony TV, connected to Beam 2.  I get the loud pop and restart of apple TV and the beam 2 randomly when playing Atmos content from apple TV apps.  This does not seem to occur when playing atmos content from the Sony TV apps, even the same apps as those in the apple TV.   I’ve even replaced my apple TV and still occurring.  Tried different HDMI cables, resets, etc.  still same issue!

Glad to know I’m not the only one. Spent an hour+ on tech support last night with no resolution. 

Same issue here with a Samsung Frame 2022, Apple TV 4K, and a Beam 2. Has anyone found a resolution other than turning off Dolby Atmos on the Apple TV?

Having the same issue, any updates on a resolution?

Also having this same issue. Frame 2022 + Apple TV 4K + Beam 2. Anyone have any luck finding a resolution?