Beam drops connection to remote

• 31 March 2021
  • 1 reply

I have my Beam connected to my Visio M470NV using the HDMI/optical adapter. I’ve programmed my Spectrum remote a half dozen times to control the sound. Each time it works for a while, then stops, and I have to go through the whole process to “Set up new TV remote” again. This is very frustrating because half the time when I want to mute the TV I have to pull up the app to do so.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Huh, that’s odd. I don’t have that exact model of Vizio, nor, frankly, do I use the Vizio remotes. Nor am I a Spectrum user, being kind of stuck on DirecTV.

I am, however, wondering if there’s any possibility that the remotes are being ‘reset’ in some fashion by firmware updates to the cable box. I have had one instance in the past where an update changed the output of my TV’s optical connection, but since I only use Harmony/Logitech remotes, I have no experience there to fall back on. 

That being said, I’ve never, in the last 11 years, had to reset up the Sonos to read the IR from the Harmony remotes, which makes me wonder if it’s ‘upstream’ from that. Unfortunately, I just don’t know. 

The one thing I’d recommend is definitely changing out the batteries on the remote. Sometimes the IR sensor on the Sonos can be overwhelmed by outside light (particularly from Plasma TVs), so it’s worth double checking that the sensor is clear and unobstructed as well.