Question

Beam, Apple TV, Samsung audio sync issues

• 20 January 2021
  • 1 reply

I just installed a Sonos beam in my living room, a pair of Symfonisk linked to the rear. 

TV is a Samsung NU6900 (late 2018 model) and I am utilizing the ARC port via the HDMI cable included in the Beam box. 

ALL content is watched through an Apple TV 4K. 

If I leave everything At the defaults, I get no audio delay/lip sync issue. 

Watching the latest movie on Apple TV+ or Netflix, the Sonos app in the about section shows a PCM 2.0 audio input. 

I forced my Apple TV to output Dolby 5.1, then the audio menu in my TV showed a Dolby Output (versus the typical PCM) and then the Sonos app would show a Dolby input. But I would get an uncorrectable lip sync issue.  I tried to fix on the Sonos app, and the tv, no luck. 

I have had the Apple TV run a HDMI cable check, that’s good. I have match frame rate off. And I still have a unfixable sync issue. 

Should I just leave it all on the defaults and get a working PCM 2.0 stream?  Am I just wasting the system since I also have rear channels?

Is there something else I should try?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Seems like the TV is introducing a delay of some type. Check that the TV’s firmware is up to date, and make sure as many audio ‘features’ on the TV are off. You want as close to direct pass through as possible. 

Samsung has had a lot of issues with various TV models, if you spend any time reading through the Home Theater section of this forum. You may be a candidate for an HDMI switch that pulls the audio off before it reaches the TV set.