beam and samsung s6 not connecting

• 24 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi everyone, bought a new beam yesterday and followed the instructions on how to connect, however i keep getting a message firstly- we can’t find Sonos on my network,

i press ‘yes’,

then goes to-do you want to add ‘yes’

then-make sure all your products are powered on ‘find system’

we couldn’t find a sonos on this account ‘done’.

So things I have done- put the app on another phone- no success, have put an erthnet-no success- rebooted-again no success-moved the unit closer to my router-no success.  

In my wifi settings I do have the sonos sending a signal out and I have been back to the shop who confirmed it is working.

any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Phil

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

There’s a lot of additional detail needed here to begin to  figure out what might be going on. It’s good that you’ve confirmed with the shop that the unit isn’t faulty already.

But that leads us to consider your network.

What kind of network do you have?

Are there any extenders r mesh pucks in it?

What is the make and model of the router?

How many (roughly) other devices are connected to it?

Have you tried a reboot of the router?

What channel/band is your signal on?

Is the broadcast 20 or 40 wide?

Do you have more than one network in your home?

When you wire the Beam to the router directly with an Ethernet cable, what is the specific message you get in the controller? I.e. does it change at all?

What OS are you running on that Samsung that is running the controller?

Which version of the Sonos controller is it, S1 or S2?

Hi, thanks for the response, I will do my best to answer your questions, but my IT skills are limited so have had to research..

What kind of network do you have? I have a wireless network

Are there any extenders r mesh pucks in it? No (not sure what these are though)

What is the make and model of the router? Sagemcom-G8T83P.  (GS Wireless Router)

How many (roughly) other devices are connected to it?  at one time probably 2, but more at other times.

Have you tried a reboot of the router? when try to connect to the beam 1, at any other time it could be upto 3 devices, though not continually.

What channel/band is your signal on? my router says auto

Is the broadcast 20 or 40 wide? not sure but i am going to go with 20

Do you have more than one network in your home? no

When you wire the Beam to the router directly with an Ethernet cable, what is the specific message you get in the controller? I.e. does it change at all? no change

What OS are you running on that Samsung that is running the controller? i think nougat

Which version of the Sonos controller is it, S1 or S2? was strongly advised to use s2

Sigh. Responding on an phone is challenging. Lost a big reply that I’ll try to retype.

First, I’m not an Android user. You may want to check here to ensure that Nougat is still a supported OS.

Next, many of those questions were to figure out if you had either a mesh network, or network extenders of any type, they can do weird things at times to networks that can cause issues. But it seems as though you don’t. I suspect the priority thing here is to reboot your router, by unplugging it from the power for two minutes. Based on what you’re saying, the router isn’t giving an IP address to the Beam, and a reload of the router’s firmware should fix that. 

Once you’re able to connect the Beam, while it is wired, I would highly recommend going in and switching off the ‘auto’ channel function on the router. It’s a neat idea, but it does cause all devices to have to constantly search for whatever channel is in use, ultimately this could be bad for streaming music. Then you should be safe to enter in your WiFi data in the controller, and disconnect that Ethernet cable, and the Beam and other Sonos devices should remain connected. 

Fwiw, the rest of your replies are fine, no changes necessary. ;)

hi bruce, thanks for the advice.  I have completed factory reset on my router and beam, I have change the port to 1 and connected to the router but still can;t pick up the beam.  

My phone does not have any pending updates.  it may well be the OS on my phone which is version 7, the link above suggests 8 and above.

That could indeed be the issue. If you’re not able to update that device to Android 8, you may need to borrow a friends device in order to set it up. It’s likely that once it’s set up, the limited functionality in Android 7 will work, but no promises on that front. 

You probably should call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available for them to assist you.

thanks bruce, have spent time on this again today and hoped after updating my phone would have helped, but sadly still no success, so yes the next step is to give them a call and like you say they have more options and another option would be to set it up on a more upto date device.