Answered

Beam - Alexa "Pandora is not supported on this device"

• 18 July 2018
  • 3 replies

I am unable to play any music through the SONOS Beam when using Alexa voice commands.

After following setup instructions, when I use Alexa voice commands to-
-Play Pandora: Beam Alexa says "Pandora is not supported on this device"
-Play Amazon Music: Beam Alexa will name a song or station like it is about to play, but the music never starts

I can use both of these music services through the Sonos app, however.

When trying to use the Alexa app to access these music services, I am given the option (dropdown menu, top middle) to play them through either my Echo Dot or my Sonos Beam. If I select the Echo Dot, she can play music fine through both music services.

If I try to play through the Sonos Beam-
-Pandora screen shows "App Support Unavailable"
-Amazon music displays and navigation works fine, but when I select a song or station, it never fully loads and no sound comes from the Sonos Beam.

I have tried disconnecting/reconnecting or disabling/re-enabling all services in all combinations. I tried de-registering my Echo dot and then trying to setup the Sonos Beam again on its own. Nothing has seemed to fix the issue.

Please help! Having an Alexa control to play Pandora using the Beam was one of the big reasons I purchased this.

Thank you!
icon

Best answer by Amarche1 25 July 2018, 00:52

Alright I did get this working.

What I did not have set up properly was the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App. It appears the Beam does not function like a giant Echo Dot, but more like a combined Sonos speaker and a separate Alexa brain.

After adding the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App, I was able to get the Alexa brain to recognize the rest of the Sonos Beam as a speaker, leaving me with what looks like 2 different devices in the Alexa App (XXX's Sonos Beam, and the new item "Living Room (Sonos)" as an enabled speaker). You can then see that the Pandora and Amazon music apps function on this new "Living Room (Sonos)" item when played from within the Alexa App. The Sonos Beam item in the recognized devices seems to do nothing. I then set Alexa to forget the duplicate Sonos items in the Smart Home > Devices sections of the App, and now everything works fine! Still not 100% sure if this is how it's supposed to be, it works well enough.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge
I have exactly the same problem.

Hoping for a solution.
Alright I did get this working.

What I did not have set up properly was the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App. It appears the Beam does not function like a giant Echo Dot, but more like a combined Sonos speaker and a separate Alexa brain.

After adding the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App, I was able to get the Alexa brain to recognize the rest of the Sonos Beam as a speaker, leaving me with what looks like 2 different devices in the Alexa App (XXX's Sonos Beam, and the new item "Living Room (Sonos)" as an enabled speaker). You can then see that the Pandora and Amazon music apps function on this new "Living Room (Sonos)" item when played from within the Alexa App. The Sonos Beam item in the recognized devices seems to do nothing. I then set Alexa to forget the duplicate Sonos items in the Smart Home > Devices sections of the App, and now everything works fine! Still not 100% sure if this is how it's supposed to be, it works well enough.
Badge
Unfortunately I can’t follow your directions. The Sonos app is on an iPad/iPhone and the directions don’t seem to make any sense here.
Does anybody have any other suggestions?