BBC Radio Problems

Userlevel 1
Badge
Recently it has become impossible for me to listen the BBC (Radio 3) because of constant cutting out. I realise that this is a well documented situation and I have tried all the recommended solutions (alternative streams etc.). My Sonos system is mostly superb but in this respect it is very disappointing because most of the time I want to listen to the BBC. I also realise that this might be a BBC problem and documenting it might put pressure on them to do something. On the other hand perhaps there problems within my system. The reason I say this is because sometimes the Sonos controller reports that it cannot connect to the system. These problems have only happened recently and seemed to coincide with upgrading the firmware on my powerline adaptors. This does not seem to be logical because other components of my network system do not have probablems. I have tried everything that I can think of (I am a computer professional) but one main problem is that I cannot see any logs from the Sonos system. Maybe someone can help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Especially as you say you are seeing sometimes "System not found" and you cannot get streams to work would strongly suggest network issues.

You don't specify what steps you have taken but the first is always a system re-boot to flush away any duplicate IP address issues.

Switch off power to router, Sonos, PCs, Macs and EVERY device connected to your network (phones, tablets, cameras, TVs and so on). Then switch router back on, wait a few minutes for it to connect. Then Bridge or Boost if you have them, wait a few minutes. Then the Sonos units, wait a couple of mins. then switch all else back on.

If you are still having problems describe your set-up in more detail - Router/network information. What Sonos units you have. Are they wired to the router?

Also, submit a diagnostic and post the number here. A Sonos employee can review the data therein but if you describe the set-up in as much detail as possible people on here can advise.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Dear Stewart,
Thank you for your response. I am attempting to listen BBC Radio 3 currently it is cutting out every few seconds. As I mentioned, I am reasonably knowledgeable about computers and networks. I have tried many things - restarting the router, fixed IP addresses, DHCP generated IP addresses, changing DNS servers etc. I only have 3 SONOS1 speakers - two paired and one separate. When I first got the system I had the pair wireless. They were cutting out on BBC radio. I did not know about the apparent ongoing issue with this and tried connecting them to my network using powerline adapters. They worked flawlessly for about 18 months. Recently they began cutting out on radio again. I tried combinations of wired and wireless. Currently one of the pair is wired and one is wireless.
I should mention also that other radio stations and my NAS (using SMB) do not seem to have a problems. I am going to forward a log file.
Again, thanks for your help.
Ian
Badge +2
BBCR2 is also unusable for me for about the past month. No local network issues though and other services stream perfectly as usual. I suspect BBC changed something as problem is much worse at busy times for popular shows. E.g. people starting to stream just prior to news on the hour etc. I have the 320Kbps stream configured under a custom channel, and already tried removing and re-adding multiple times (plus all other tips). I suspect BBC made changes, but I guess Google are happy as I currently listen to much less radio...
I am very new to Sonos and the BBC streams were one of my priorities. I couldn't get a straight answer anywhere as to whether the Tunein BBC channels were the highest bitrate/quality which I particularly wanted. Someone said Tunein just goes for the easiest stream at the time which could be at a really low bitrate. I was also getting some dropouts on local BBC today. Try using the Radioplayer service instead which is very new to Sonos (I think). Its under 'add music services' and seems much better than Tunein for the BBC channels and I think they are all the highest bitrates too. I don't think the Tunein ones are. Also when you have dropouts its best not to use, or resave your favourites to make sure you're getting the latest feed that might have been updated due to dropouts.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks to jbg and User935307 for replies. I am trying the Radioplayer service as I type this. It does seem much better than Tunein. Do "favourites" not resolve to the latest stream? I would have thought that the URL remains but the underlying stream changes. Pure conjecture here......
Userlevel 1
Badge
Whilst trying to listen to BBC Radio 3 using the Radioplayer service I have had two stops. The latest gave a message saying that the "song" wasn't encoded correctly.
Thanks to jbg and User935307 for replies. I am trying the Radioplayer service as I type this. It does seem much better than Tunein. Do "favourites" not resolve to the latest stream? I would have thought that the URL remains but the underlying stream changes. Pure conjecture here...... I would have thought so too. I was going by what a Sonos Staff member said in this post https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/continual-dropouts-on-bbc-radio-stations-via-tunein-6768866
Userlevel 1
Badge
This is an update on my experiences with BBC Radio 3 and my Sonos system. I still cannot get it to work correctly and acceptably. The Radioplayer stream has problems as well with frequent silences followed by messages saying the "song" is incorrectly coded! Usually the playback will eventually stop completely. It is fine with other sources and my personal networked music library.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Another update on my BBC Radio 3 endeavours, with a possible solution. I still cannot get BBC radio to play (from Radioplayer or Tune In) for more than a few minutes and when it stops, the SONOS system is not accessible on my network for a while. It seems to cause the SONOS system to "crash". It is extremely frustrating and I find it incredible that no one can or will sort this out. However, I found a suggestion for a small program that runs on a Windows computer that streams whatever is being listened to on that machine as a "local online radio". It can be received by SONOS as if it were Tune In. I have tried and it seems to be working. Information can be found here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/292842/how-to-stream-any-audio-from-your-pc-to-a-sonos-player/
Userlevel 1
Badge
It seems as if there is good news on the BBC subject. BBC Radio 3 from Radioplayer seems to be playing stably and has been for the last few days. After almost a year perhaps it's sorted out!
Radioplayer seems to have solved the mystery of not being able to locate Tony Blackburn Sounds of the 60s and Golden Hour which were never there on tunein radio. Radioplayer has both from last night and this morning. So pleased! 😃 it’s Radioplayer all the way for me now
I found BBC Radio 4 on TuneIn via Sonos rather unreliable recently (since about the start of May 2018). I'm trying radio.net now instead (I cannot find Radioplayer) and it seems more reliable so far.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Can't access any BBC radio stations using voice on my Sonos One speakers. This used to work, but now does not. What's going on? This should be a basic Alexa request. Works fine on my Echo spot. Even radio player isn't working for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Can't access any BBC radio stations using voice on my Sonos One speakers

The Alexa/BBC issue is described in anther thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-now-using-bbc-skill-rather-than-tunein-6808332/index1.html#post16242591