Battling with a randomly disconnecting Play:1, forcing me to completely reset entire Sonos system

Userlevel 1
Badge
Current setup:

Turntable hooked up to Connect (specifically ZP80, I believe), then normal speakers hooked up to the RCA output, and a Play:1 in my kitchen. It all works perfectly well until, well, something happens.

Occasionally the Play:1 just randomly disconnects and "Kitchen" doesn't show up in the Sonos app. I'm fairly knowledgeable about Sonos products and troubleshooting tech in general, so I typically go through this process:

1. Turn wifi on iPhone (device I use to control system) off and on

2. Unplug Play:1, plug back in (still nothing)

2. Attempt to re-add Play:1 in Sonos app (still nothing)

3. Reset Play:1 by unplugging, holding play/pause and up arrow, and plugging back in. It resets properly, but still can't add it in the app.

4. Unplug router and plug back in (still nothing)

5. Maybe try unplugging or resetting Play:1 again? (still nothing)

6. Unplug Connect and plug back in (still nothing)

7. Lastly, and from what I've discovered to be the *only* way to fix the issue, I sigh deeply and completely reset the Connect (unplug, hold the two buttons, and plug back in).

8. Reset Play:1 again and then it connects to the system just fine

-------------------------------

Resetting the Connect pretty much guarantees to get things working, but it's incredibly frustrating to go through this whole troubleshooting process AND have to set up the entire system (and re-change all my settings) from scratch whenever this happens. Lately it's been happening every 3 days or so.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to not pull my hair out whenever it does?

12 replies

If you haven't yet, do a complete refresh of your network by rebooting everything from the router on out, in order, then assign reserve IP addresses to your Sonos gear in your router setup.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have rebooted the router (my modem/router is a combo as one box), but haven't assigned the Sonos gear specific IPs.
You can't simply reboot the router, it can make things worse. Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. Rebooting the router causes it to lose track of assigned IP addresses. Then an IP lease is up, or a networked device reboots, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is already in use by another device. To cure this, you have to do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. After this, you prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for that. Like I mentioned in my post I've been kind of angrily bouncing around attempting to fix this ("okay I'll reset the Play:1, that didn't work, now I'll reboot the router, okay now I'll reset the Play:1 again, now the connect, router again"). I'll try doing it more intentionally and see if that helps.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Are both of those players wireless only to the network?

If you get everything showing up again, I'd love to take a look at a diagnostic from there. You can follow the steps here to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and just let us know the confirmation number.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hey Ryan,

I actually just emailed support (question #170218-000351) but I'd be more than happy if you could help me out. I'm at work now but once I get home I can post the confirmation number for the diagnostic number here.

Not sure if I'm understanding your first question correctly, but the ZP80 is hooked up to my router via ethernet and the Play:1 is wireless in my Kitchen.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
willryan42 wrote:

Not sure if I'm understanding your first question correctly, but the ZP80 is hooked up to my router via ethernet and the Play:1 is wireless in my Kitchen.

That's exactly the information I was looking for. It's possible that the wireless on the ZP80 has trouble from time to time, causing the PLAY:1 to disconnect from it. (Just guessing without any data or diagnostics for the record.)

Let me know the number and I'll take a look. But you might consider trying to run the system wireless off your network instead of using the ZP80s Ethernet connection. With it wired in, and everything showing up, you'd go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup to put in the credentials there.
Userlevel 1
Badge
whoa I had no idea I could do that! I thought the ZP80 had to be wired to the router. I’ll give that a shot.

Just submitted a diagnostic report, number is 7113259

Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
The wireless looks ok right now, but it may change from time to time if your router is set to change automatically.

You could either try going wireless only by doing the wireless setup, which was added a few versions back.

Otherwise, you could log into your router's settings and manually set the router to channel 11 or 1. Sonos is currently on 6, so either of those should be ok.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'll definitely try that.

Not sure if this is helpful by my router broadcasts 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks. I'm in an apartment complex and noticed my computer/phone always acted up when I was on the 2.4ghz network, but using the 5ghz network works perfectly fine. I believe my Sonos setup can only use the 2.4ghz network, so maybe it's experiencing the same issues I saw when my computer was connected to that one?

Does this change anything regarding your suggesting about changing my network's channel? Should I change the 2.4ghz or 5ghz channel?
Userlevel 1
Badge
happened again today after working fine for a few days. I came home from work and sure enough the Kitchen Play:1 wasn’t showing in the app. I sent a diagnostic right away: 7125937.

Going to try rebooting everything in the order jgatie said.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
In answer to your previous question re: 5Ghz channel vs 2.4Ghz... the Sonos system communicates on 2.4Ghz for the communication you are referring to - so changing anything your router is doing in the 5Ghz ranges should not change or affect your experience. You should change the 2.4Ghz if wifif interference is causing you problems... and likely make certain your router is not set to "auto" search for a channel, but is fixed to the specific channel you set.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)