Basic uPnP/DLNA question

• 23 September 2014
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi - I'm new to DLNA/uPNP and I'm trying to use the capability of the Sonos devices to be a uPNP Media Renderer. I don't want to do complex control, just a simple rendering of a MP3 stream, but I want to minimize playback delay. My understanding of uPNP and Sonos is that I need to have a very basic uPNP Media Controller to send the request to Sonos to get (play) the stream (file) I want it to play and then it (Sonos device) will issue the series of HTTP-GET requests to the server I've set to grab the audio data. Sonos devices does not support any other protocol than HTTP to get the stream - is this correct ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

philippe44,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

SONOS is not DLNA compliant. You have no control over the transport delay.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks Buzz - but Sonos is uPNP compliant. I mean, you can play streams TO the devices (I know they cannot act as a Media Server, but they are Media Renderer). I'm using them successfully with various uPnP controllers. Wrt delay control, I'm not looking at a very perfect or accurate control, but just something "reasonnable"
This may help:

[thread=20721]Exploring the Sonos control API[/thread]

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Thanks Buzz - but Sonos is uPNP compliant. I mean, you can play streams TO the devices (I know they cannot act as a Media Server, but they are Media Renderer). I'm using them successfully with various uPnP controllers. Wrt delay control, I'm not looking at a very perfect or accurate control, but just something "reasonnable"
It's true you can get Sonos to make the HTTP request to whatever URL you hand to it via UPnP/DLNA commands, but as far as playback delay it is out of your hands. The Sonos device will prebuffer audio as necessary hence the delay.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've re-compiled libupnp & pthread32 for Windows and my sample app works - so I'll see in the coming days (at lest till next rock) if I can get something out of upnp communication w/ one of the devices

[edit] -Just in case somebidy is interested. It works well, I've created a uPNP control point and I'm able to detect through uPNP all MediaRenderer and sort only the Sonos Play:1,3,5. Should be able to control them shortly
Hi Philippe44, I'm very interested in what you've done. I have a Play1 and a Play3 and use MusicBee for my library. How can I set up UPNP/DLNA, having no knowledge/experience with it whatso ever?
Found a plugin which works great for MusicBee : http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=14277.0
I use logitech mediaserver with UPNP plugin. The application is running on my home NAS (Openmediavault on Debian). This works pretty well including gapless playing. Synchronization works perfect using the sonos app and other UPNP players can be psuedo synchronized (not perfect) over UPNP. My current list of players includes:

Play 3, Play 5 - Sonos
Moode - PI3 player
Minix X7 and X8 Android TV boxes hooked up to POLK Soundbars via optical link (BubbleUPNP)
Windows 7 laptop occasionally - headphone)

This provides a consistent interface for all players and access is available from all platforms (IOS, Windows, Android, Linux). Sound quality is quite good and 5 to 10 band equalizer are available for all platforms to help should your system require it. Finally it renders all common audio streams including a whole host of online radio channels. Support forum is available for additional help. Highly customizable for those who like to tinker.

Ynot.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Philippe44, I'm very interested in what you've done. I have a Play1 and a Play3 and use MusicBee for my library. How can I set up UPNP/DLNA, having no knowledge/experience with it whatso ever?

Hi - This has gone a long way now. I've build a complete bridge between upnp in general (and Sonos of course) and Logitech Media Server (hope I won't be expelled for just mentionned the name). I use both and I like both but I wanted a unified UI. I have a Play:5, :3 and used to have a 2 Play:1 which have been stolen a few weeks ago. Need to buy new ones