Question

bad quality sound

• 14 August 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi. I was about to watch a TV show and the sound is all metallic and not good at all. This just happens when I'm using 5.1 sound because watching normal tv there's no problems.
I have a beam with 2 play 1 for surround.
Can someone help?

7 replies

When you look in the Sonos app, under Settings>About this Sonos System, what does the line under your Beam say is the "Audio In: XXXXX?

In your world, what is "normal TV"? How is this particular TV show not "normal TV"?
Hi! Thanks for your reply. It says doubly digital 5.1

With this a mean cable TV. Watching the news etc.
So normal tv is from my cable provider. I'm watching a TV show with my fire TV. I've have problems with Netflix HBO now and Plex
Odd.

I think that's actually an issue with your cable provider and what they're sending you. If it says "Dolby Digital" then you're getting the best signal the TV can send to the Sonos. I was thinking you might have been getting "Stereo", which Sonos would be challenged in segregating out into a good 5.1 signal, just like any other device out there.

But if it says that the signal is Dolby Digital, then you're getting everything there is, and the signal problem is at the source....by which I don't mean the cable company, but the TV station that you're watching.

For instance, I was watching a football game over the weekend, and my surround speakers were oddly silent, and I wasn't getting enough of the voices on my "center channel" that I would normally expect. I checked the Sonos, and it said that it was receiving a 5.1 signal. That meant that the TV station (or whoever was supplying the TV station) a signal that only had left and right, and the TV station was sending that data to me in a 5.1 signal. So effectively, only 2 of the 5.1 "streams" were being actually used, the others were silent. It made for an odd sound, to be sure, but since I was rooting against the "home" team, it didn't bother me too much. When I first moved to this location, I had the same issue with the local news station that I watch the evening news on. I dropped the engineer an email on their website, and within a week, he'd fixed the issue, so now my local news is in 5.1. And I'm not sure where the issue was....it could have been in just the signal provided to DirecTV, or it could have been in the mixing at the radio station.

That's a long winded way of saying that the issue you're hearing isn't a Sonos issue, generally speaking. At least I don't think so.

You could, if you want, submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Thanks for your very detailed information! Really helps! I've tried to restart my beam then did again a trueplay setup. It seems to have solved the problem, at least for now
Well, as long as it sounds good to you. Can't quite figure out how that would change anything, unless there was some sort of temporary fault in the speaker's firmware. And I've never seen that happen before.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That's odd. If anything like this comes up again, please let us know and we'd love to look into it. Perhaps the unit just needed a reboot.