Answered

Autoplay disabled when turntable is connected to external preamp

• 17 September 2018
  • 1 reply

Hello Everyone,

Need a little insight to see if I missed anything after making a relatively simple change to my turntable setup. I added a Pro-ject Phono Box DC preamp as follows: turntable outputs to preamp inputs, then preamp outputs to Sonos Connect Amp inputs. Bowers and Wilkins speakers wired to Connect Amp. Recently upgraded cart to Audio-Technica AT440MLB. Checked/rechecked for correct polarity, and switched phono equalizer switch from "on" to “thru”. Also checked to ensure Autoplay Room (Family Room) was on for was Line-In. Line in Source name is Turntable. If I’m streaming music through Pandora, as soon as the stylus meets the LP, Autoplay should switch over to turntable audio. Nope.
The only way Sonos sees the turntable is for me to unplug preamp and Connect Amp connections then plug them back in. Audio using the Pro-Ject preamp is still a step up from the TEAC internal preamp.
However when the turntable is connected directly to the Sonos Connect Amp, no issues at all with autoplay. Audio is still very good using the internal preamp, just not as good as external preamp. Have I overlooked anything?
Thanks for any help
icon

Best answer by steve2848 18 September 2018, 05:19

A big thanks to Richard in tech support! He recommended an excellent work around which I have successfully used. Using an iPhone or smart phone controller go to Browse Music (musical note symbol) and scroll down and tap "Line In". You should then see "Turntable: Family Room" or the room you designated as your autoplay room. Tap the the three dots on the right and you will see "Play Now". Tap and you're ready to enjoy vinyl!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

A big thanks to Richard in tech support! He recommended an excellent work around which I have successfully used. Using an iPhone or smart phone controller go to Browse Music (musical note symbol) and scroll down and tap "Line In". You should then see "Turntable: Family Room" or the room you designated as your autoplay room. Tap the the three dots on the right and you will see "Play Now". Tap and you're ready to enjoy vinyl!