Answered

Audio sync issues

• 15 January 2019
  • 1 reply

I have had 2 playbars for years and have lived with audio sync issues from the beginning. I just bought a Beam with hopes that the new speaker will have fixed the issue. Unfortunately, the problem is the same. The biggest issue comes when watching Amazon FireTV or Apple TV, and I would speculate it is the TV's problem, but I don't know for sure. The TV is LG and watching DirecTV seems to stay in sync. So, this may be a problem for anyone who is getting audio through the TV to the Playbar or Beam, even though it is "optical".
I have had to shut off my playbar and turn on the crappy TV sound just to watch the movies. Would love if someone has a solution.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 January 2019, 06:16

It is, in fact, most likely the TV's processing of the Dolby Digital sound. I'm going to hazard a guess that if you're not having it on the DirecTV signal, then the DirecTV is set to send a stereo signal, which doesn't get processed in the same way.

One thing you should always do is go in to your TV's audio settings, and make sure that it's set to pass Dolby Digital, of course, but also turn off any extra sound features that the TV may have, all of which will add a certain amount of processing delayto the signal. That probably won't get rid of all of the delay you're hearing, but if you've got one of those extras turned on, turning it off will certainly reduce the issue.

I happen to be a DirecTV user myself, albeit through a Vizio TV. You may want to go in to the audio settings on your DirecTV and make sure that it has Dolby Digital turned on....or maybe you don't....that will cause more lag to appear.

One way you could skip having the TV actually process the audio at all is get one of the external HDMI switches that separate out the optical signal before it goes in the TV. There's a lot of suggestions of those kinds of devices in the Home Theater section of this website, I don't use one myself, so I've got no particular suggestion.

Hope this provides some food for thought.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

It is, in fact, most likely the TV's processing of the Dolby Digital sound. I'm going to hazard a guess that if you're not having it on the DirecTV signal, then the DirecTV is set to send a stereo signal, which doesn't get processed in the same way.

One thing you should always do is go in to your TV's audio settings, and make sure that it's set to pass Dolby Digital, of course, but also turn off any extra sound features that the TV may have, all of which will add a certain amount of processing delayto the signal. That probably won't get rid of all of the delay you're hearing, but if you've got one of those extras turned on, turning it off will certainly reduce the issue.

I happen to be a DirecTV user myself, albeit through a Vizio TV. You may want to go in to the audio settings on your DirecTV and make sure that it has Dolby Digital turned on....or maybe you don't....that will cause more lag to appear.

One way you could skip having the TV actually process the audio at all is get one of the external HDMI switches that separate out the optical signal before it goes in the TV. There's a lot of suggestions of those kinds of devices in the Home Theater section of this website, I don't use one myself, so I've got no particular suggestion.

Hope this provides some food for thought.