Answered

Audio Skipping and it is NOT WiFi Interference

• 17 February 2019
  • 16 replies

For the past two months anytime I play Google Music by either streaming from the Google app or from within the Sonos app the songs cut out and skip to the next song about 2/3 of the way through the song. This happens consistently and I am not willing to accept that it is WiFi interference. It happens at exactly the same time in the song and it happens for every song that plays. This is incredibly frustrating as my entire music collection is on Google Music, Sonos "My Music" fills up with about 25% of my collection so basically I have wasted my money on this Sonos system until this is resolved. This is a relatively new issue, I have owned my Sonos system for almost a year and it never did this until a couple of months ago and now it does it all of the time every time. Please advise on how to get this issue resolved.

Submitted Diagnostics - 1973872716
icon

Best answer by xinunix 20 February 2019, 01:19

Interesting. I have no issues casting Google Play Music to my speakers. Are you using an iphone?

Definitely sounds like it is not an impacts everyone kind of issue. I am using a Google Pixel 2 and it happens for every song for me, stops playing and skips to the next song about 2/3 of the way in. My wife has a Pixel 2 as well and is having the same issue. My daughter has a Pixel 1 and it is also doing the same thing. My son has a very old Motorola X and it exhibits the same behavior. No iDevices in my house so I can't speak to those though I may see if I can borrow one tomorrow to test it out...

Note that the point at which it stops playing and skips to the next song is not in any way random, it happens for every song played every time and at the same point in time in the song.

BTW latest update is that Sonos engineering has engaged Google regarding this issue and as of right now there is no timeframe for a resolution but it sounds like it is at least a confirmed issue at this point so hopefully it gets resolved soon.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Just curious why you're so sure it's not wifi interference? Are you blessed in living in an area in which there are no outside influences of other electrical and wifi devices that can contaminate your local setup?

As a point of reference, I had a microwave that started emitting RF interference, which certainly impacted my PLAY:1s, and probably was strong enough to bother my neighbors as well. I've also had neighbors move in, and set up stronger wifi signals than mine on the same channel, or even a short wave radio system which impacted my local wifi signal. I had made absolutely no changes of my own, my system was exactly the same, but the simple fact was that my wifi signal was and always will be susceptible to outside influences. It's entirely possible that this issue could be impacting you in some fashion.

At the end of the day, don't rule out something until you've tested it and are sure. Perhaps you have, it's hard to tell from what you've said in your post.

It's entirely possible that it isn't your local wifi.....but it's also equally likely that it is an issue there, whether you're willing to accept that as a possibility or not has no bearing.

While you wait for Monday for a forum moderator to look at your diagnostic, you may want to do a simple refresh of your DHCP table and the DNS, by unplugging all of your Sonos devices, and doing a power cycle of your router, before plugging back in the Sonos equipment. That might resolve your issue, or it might not, but the cost is just a few minutes of your valuable time.
xinunix,

My tracks on Google Play Music and Google YouTube Music are playing just fine here with no dropouts that I have noticed either on the previous, or latest version of the Sonos App. I think it must be a local issue in your case, but if you are not willing to accept it maybe a case of WiFi interference, you may have to look at other things local to yourself. Perhaps start by contacting your ISP to see if they can shed any light on the matter.

Google Music is working just fine for me and there are currently no service outages as shown in the service status page.

https://status.sonos.com/

My Daughter and Son in Law also use Google Music and My Wife and I have just been at their home this evening for a party and their music was playing fine too.

So you certainly need to look a little closer to home.
Thanks for your responses. I think I'll wait for analysis of my diagnostics to come back. With 25+ years of professional experience working specifically with RFID, RTLS, zigbee, Wireless mesh networks, BLE, etc I have a solid understanding of how wireless interference works. The one thing I know about it for sure is that while it can certainly be cyclical and recurring in nature it cannot cause the same song to stop playing at the same time no matter when I chose to start it much less every song that plays behaving the same way.

Could be something on the Google side but the music streams just fine when playing through my phone speakers, casting through Google home or to my Chromecast. So far it only skips to the next song early when casting from Google music to Sonos.

Any form of wireless interference would be indiscriminate of the source of the content.

I am definitely not the only person reporting this issue right now either I just submitted a new case in hopes it wouldn't get lost in the comments of others.
Badge
I reported the same problem with Apple Music a few days ago. The difference is that the songs play less than 2/3 as in this case. And definitely it is not WiFi interference because Deezer plays fine. Of course both cases are streaming through the SONOS service. If I AirPlay from any iOS device (iPhone or iPad) or from my AppleTV the problem DOES NOT appear from ANY source: Apple Music, Deezer, TuneIn, myTuner Radio, etc.
xinunix/yayarod,

I will just add one small point as you both mention it...

Because of the way Sonos works, the fact that music will play fine within your home on your mobile device, (iPad/iPhone etc.) Google Home, or Chromecast devices etc; mentioning that is entirely irrelevant, when considering the issue of wireless interference. It has no real bearing on the issue whatsoever, unless it’s those devices that are causing the interference to the speakers. My guess is it will turn out to be a local issue, rather than a Sonos problem, as I think we would have seen dozens, if not many hundreds, of reports here about the same issue and that’s not currently happening, but let’s wait and see the outcome.

To get your Sonos system diagnostic checked, I would suggest you get in touch with Sonos via the 24/7 contact method, shown in the link below. You may then possibly get the matter resolved a little more quickly. Refer the Staff to either this thread and/or your diagnostic reference.

Contact Sonos Customer Care/Twitter (24/7) etc.

I also hope you will let us know the outcome of what is the cause of the music interruption in your case for future reference ...and to assist any others that are currently using the mentioned music services.

Whatever the outcome, I hope you both get your issue resolved soon.?
Badge
Ken, we have been in another thread (YouTube and AirPlay watermark), so that I know your a knowledgeable person but what can make for the difference between Apple Music and Deezer performance in my case.
I know that WiFi can still be troublesome. We will have to wait for WiFi 6 to see if it ends with today’s possible issues.
Just to be absolutely clear:
The problem appears when using Apple Music with the SONOS service, ie using the SONOS app only as a controller.
As I stated above using AirPlay works OK.
AND something I didn’t mention above: when using AirPlay with any of my devices (iPhone, iPad or Apple TV) I'm also streaming from the Internet. I don’t have downloaded music on any of my devices.
Even in a more complex scenario when I use AirPlay for multiroom audio to my SONOS One and an AirPort Express I don’t have the described problem.
Just picked up on the thread. I've spent all day trying to work out why Sonos cuts out after about 1.5 songs. This only started yesterday and is driving me nuts. I use a mixture of iPhone and Mac. It started with iPhone yesterday morning. Approx every 1.5 songs and Sonos drops out. Tried Mac and that was fine for first 3 songs now music has started dropping out every 1.5 songs from that. What with issues getting Sonos setup and now this, I'm loosing the will to live with Sonos. It could all be going back very shortly. I'm running a Mesh system and it has been been fine for last 6 weeks after setup issues. Nothing has changed and setup is Beam and 2 x Play one's.
Thanks Ken, will do!

xinunix/yayarod,

I will just add one small point as you both mention it...

Because of the way Sonos works, the fact that music will play fine within your home on your mobile device, (iPad/iPhone etc.) Google Home, or Chromecast devices etc; mentioning that is entirely irrelevant, when considering the issue of wireless interference. It has no real bearing on the issue whatsoever, unless it’s those devices that are causing the interference to the speakers. My guess is it will turn out to be a local issue, rather than a Sonos problem, as I think we would have seen dozens, if not many hundreds, of reports here about the same issue and that’s not currently happening, but let’s wait and see the outcome.

To get your Sonos system diagnostic checked, I would suggest you get in touch with Sonos via the 24/7 contact method, shown in the link below. You may then possibly get the matter resolved a little more quickly. Refer the Staff to either this thread and/or your diagnostic reference.

Contact Sonos Customer Care/Twitter (24/7) etc.

I also hope you will let us know the outcome of what is the cause of the music interruption in your case for future reference ...and to assist any others that are currently using the mentioned music services.

Whatever the outcome, I hope you both get your issue resolved soon.?
I commented earlier in the thread mostly in relation to xinunix's Google Music drop-out issue, because I’m using that same service at the moment and so is my son in law and as stated, we are not having any kind of drop-out issues with it here. Same goes for Amazon Music, which I also use. So I’m assuming it’s still likely going to be a local issue. Google Music has been playing fine all day here. I have my setup running on SonosNet in various configurations across three floors and I’m not noticing an issue with those services... my Daughter and Son in law are saying the same thing (about Google, at least).

It’s difficult for me to comment directly on other services, like Apple Music for example, as I’m not using that service, but the first thing I tend to do is check the Sonos status page, as mentioned in my earlier post, to see if there are any reported issues and if not, then I keep an eye out for any reports from other community users that may suggest there is a problem.

If there isn’t any issues being reported, perhaps in this community, or the french and beta Sonos communities etc; then more often than not, it usually turns out to be a more localised issue and hence we all do our best here to suggest things to try to help rectify the matter. Obviously where folk believe it’s not their network though, the only course really open to anyone is to suggest submitting a system diagnostic and to then contact the Sonos Customer Care Team via the usual 24/7 available links.

If it transpires it is not a local issue, then I hope that the users will kindly report back to their initial thread to let everyone know what the problem was so that any other people reporting a similar issue can be made aware and perhaps advise them to wait for a fix, or perhaps suggest how they can fix it themselves.

So that’s what I have suggested so far in this thread. There’s not a lot anyone else can do if the user thinks their drop-out issue may lie elsewhere other than their local system. It’s really advisable to contact Sonos directly in that event.

Anyhow, I hope the links above on how to submit a diagnostic and how to get 24/7 access to Sonos Support prove to be of some help.

I have not given any WiFi interference or network advice here, as you folk all appear to know exactly what you’re doing in any event.
Just picked up on the thread. I've spent all day trying to work out why Sonos cuts out after about 1.5 songs. This only started yesterday and is driving me nuts. I use a mixture of iPhone and Mac. It started with iPhone yesterday morning. Approx every 1.5 songs and Sonos drops out. Tried Mac and that was fine for first 3 songs now music has started dropping out every 1.5 songs from that. What with issues getting Sonos setup and now this, I'm loosing the will to live with Sonos. It could all be going back very shortly. I'm running a Mesh system and it has been been fine for last 6 weeks after setup issues. Nothing has changed and setup is Beam and 2 x Play one's.Can I just check you are aware that there is a current Sonos issue when playing from a local iOS library and there non-Sonos AirPlay beacons broadcasting on your network. It is suggested those beacons are switched off and/or you temporarily disable the lock screen whilst playing from such a local audio source. If it does indeed apply in your case, or you need further information about that, then let me know and I will send you the support page links.
Just as an update after going through several rounds of troubleshooting with Sonos support they have informed me that this issue of skipping songs before they complete w/ casting via Google Play Music specifically (not necessarily any other application) is a known issue to their internal engineering teams and something they are working to resolve. Don't have any specifics beyond that but will share any updates that I get along the way.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Interesting. I have no issues casting Google Play Music to my speakers. Are you using an iphone?
Just as an update after going through several rounds of troubleshooting with Sonos support they have informed me that this issue of skipping songs before they complete w/ casting via Google Play Music specifically (not necessarily any other application) is a known issue to their internal engineering teams and something they are working to resolve. Don't have any specifics beyond that but will share any updates that I get along the way.Thanks for the feedback. Hope things get resolved for you soon. ?

Definitely sounds like it is not an impacts everyone kind of issue. I am using a Google Pixel 2 and it happens for every song for me, stops playing and skips to the next song about 2/3 of the way in. My wife has a Pixel 2 as well and is having the same issue. My daughter has a Pixel 1 and it is also doing the same thing. My son has a very old Motorola X and it exhibits the same behavior. No iDevices in my house so I can't speak to those though I may see if I can borrow one tomorrow to test it out...

Note that the point at which it stops playing and skips to the next song is not in any way random, it happens for every song played every time and at the same point in time in the song.

BTW latest update is that Sonos engineering has engaged Google regarding this issue and as of right now there is no timeframe for a resolution but it sounds like it is at least a confirmed issue at this point so hopefully it gets resolved soon.
Just to save anyone further bother here, you will find that you cannot 'cast' to Sonos devices using the iOS Google Play Music App, (nor from their iOS YouTube Music App either). You can of course 'AirPlay' to Sonos compatible speakers on iOS .

Casting to Sonos is currently only available on the Android version of the Google Play Music App.

Just thought that should be clarified.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Just thought that should be clarified.

Good call, not an apple user here so don't know what kind of features are available. Makes sense though seeing how they have airplay.