Answered

Audio randomly stops for 5 seconds in random zones

• 16 February 2021
  • 4 replies

We three zones in our home, two are powered with separate Connect:Amps and the remaining zone is a Play:5 that we don’t use as often and so can’t verify whether this issue happens on the Play:5.

We've been having this issue randomly for years now and it’s frustrating.  We can have simultaneous playback going in two of the zones, playing the same song, and one of the zones will just randomly stop playing for 5-10 seconds and then it comes right back.  The Connect:Amps are hardwired and we have a super reliable wireless network anyways, so it’s definitely not a connectivity issue.  We recently got a new ethernet switch and that has made no difference, the issue happened before the new switch and it still happens now.  Also, the fact that playback never skips a beat in the other zone indicates to me it’s not a problem with the Internet connection or even the LAN.

If we listen to music for 5 hours straight, the issue may happen 3-4 times over the course of those 5 hours.  Not enough to make the listening experience miserable, but considering how expensive Sonos products are we kind of expect a flawless experience.

We have listening locations where we can hear both zones playing back at the same time (open floorplan), so it’s pretty obvious whenever it happens because it just sounds like it’s cutting out in one zone.  Sometimes it happens in one zone, sometimes it happens in the other zone.  It always comes right back after 5-10 seconds.

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 March 2021, 12:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

You said you have two Connect:Amps hardwired. Have you tried only having one hardwired?

No, I have definitely not tried that.  Just wondering why would that make a difference though?  Wouldn't having things hardwired always perform better than wireless?

And how do I decide which one to make wireless and which one to keep hardwired since they both have the issue at different times?

Userlevel 7

I have read that sometimes wiring more than one Sonos device to the network can cause issues. Try disconnecting one first and then try the other. It wouldn’t hurt to try. Another option is to change the SonosNet channel in the Network settings in the Sonos app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @esmith69 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Are you still having this problem? If so, I first suggest rebooting your router - switch it off for at least 30 seconds. If you received your router for free from your ISP, I recommend a reboot every 2 months or so.

If this doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.