Answered

Audio Lag, Wireless interference, Need some help!

• 19 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Diag: 485923102

I am experiencing some lag at times between rooms, sometimes between paired speakers in a room.

When I looked at the "Sonos Support Info" -> "Network Matrix" it seems lots of my speakers are experiencing hearing lots of noise.

Some of these devices are not near any electronic devices but show "red" like "New Basement (r)" I cannot for the life of me figure out what "Noise" it is. It is plugged in with a foot of the plug. However that is run in metal conduit with a metal box. I cannot image much electrical noise coming out of there.

I have a Boost that is plugged in with Ethernet. That is also experiencing some noise. That is in my attic not near any devices that is emitting WiFi.

What else should I be looking at? Are the PHY errors too high? Some are above 300,000.

I have 3 Linksys Velop Nodes throughout my house.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 20 December 2018, 00:39

MichaelBarron: You might want to start with wiring in whatever speakers are easy and then re-test the audio. Interference can be a tricky thing that requires making a few fine adjustments and re-testing. A system this large and spread out is no exception and would require a bit of testing and some "trial and error".

That being said, it might be best to contact our support team directly. They can get a much closer look at the network and connectivity across it than I can. Additionally, they can test things out in real-time over a remote session and check for interference.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, MichaelBarron. If interference were a large enough problem, the audio content would likely drop out rather than create a delay in the signal. While the diagnostic report you submitted does show a bit of interference, we should get a little more information about the content being played when this lag happens.

Does this happen with the same audio content or does this happen with all audio sources (streaming and local)? Out of the rooms you have set up, does this happen between specific rooms or does this happen regardless of the rooms grouped?

Thanks!
Keith N - Well the delay with my PlayBar and surround speakers is not occurring anymore. However if I use a streaming service such as Pandora or Apple Music there are times ( just happened in the last hour actually with Pandora ) the song will stop playing and move on to the next. If I have the controller open on my PC and catch it will show an error that it cannot connect and then move on to the new song just fine. Sorry I do not have a screen shot of the error. I was curious if that was because one of the speakers that is having lots of interference lost connection.

What is the most reliable way to build a playlist? I have a party coming up and do not want skipped songs :)

I am at a loss and not sure what to look at next.

I really appreciate your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
That definitely sounds like a problem wireless interference could cause. I noticed you have a few Sonos devices already plugged into the network. Would you mind telling us about these existing connections? What network devices are your Sonos players plugged into? Is it possible to wire any more devices into the network? By adding more hardwire connections, you can potentially circumvent the wireless interference can get a more stable connection.
Kevin,

Basement room 1

I have my Sonos sub and playbar each plugged into Ethernet and the surround speakers are wireless in the living room. I also have a connect plugged into Ethernet that provides line in to a Bose setup that is not far away. Maybe 25'.

Basement room 2 ( Concrete wall divides them )

I have a connect plugged into a projector as line in. Then I have 2 pair Sonos One's as left and right. All of these are wireless. I could run Ethernet to these pretty easily if needed.

Ground Floor
I have a kitchen play 3 wireless. This would be hard to run Ethernet. However it is about 10' away from a LinkSys Velop AP. Then about 30' away ( drywall wall separating) I have an older Play 5 that is also wireless. This also would be a pain to run Ethernet.

Attic
I have a boost wired to Ethernet Central. Not near any WiFi

Outside

Outside on my deck I have an outdoor office with a Sub that is wired with Ethernet and 2 play 3's that are wireless. Then I have 2 Connect Amps sitting on top of those play 3's ( I realized writing this that is probably not a great idea ) that are powering to sets of outside speakers.

Is there a way to isolate any speakers having issues?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
MichaelBarron: You might want to start with wiring in whatever speakers are easy and then re-test the audio. Interference can be a tricky thing that requires making a few fine adjustments and re-testing. A system this large and spread out is no exception and would require a bit of testing and some "trial and error".

That being said, it might be best to contact our support team directly. They can get a much closer look at the network and connectivity across it than I can. Additionally, they can test things out in real-time over a remote session and check for interference.
Kevin,

Thanks for your time. I have reached out to Support. Thanks Again!