Audio input from Playstation 4 Hulu app showing as Dolby Digital 5.1 when it is not

• 20 December 2017
  • 2 replies

I just set up a Playbase and 2 Ones as surrounds. Per Hulu's site, they do not currently support DD 5.1. This is annoying, but my understanding was that if the source was not DD 5.1, the Sonos speakers would try to fake surround sound. However, when I play a show on Hulu, the source shows up as DD 5.1, but I get no sound from my surround sound speakers. Is this because I have set the PS4 to output 5.1, despite the app not being compatible? Any workarounds? I would be happy with faked surround sound over no sound at all.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I figured out it is indeed the PS4 settings. The PS4 must take whatever app sound input it gets and converts it to 5.1 itself, so no Sonos magic can happen there. I guess this isn't a Sonos problem at all. You can ignore this.
Badge
I get no sound at all with Hulu on my PS4 pro. What are your settings?