Audio goes through Amp from Sony TV via ARC even though audio output is set to "TV Speakers"

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I have a very strange issue.  I have a Sony X800H 43" TV connected to an Amp via ARC. Everything sounds fine, however, each time I set the audio output on the TV to "TV Speakers," it starts playing through the TV Speakers, but then a few seconds later it says "switching audio to external speakers" and it plays the audio only through the Sonos Amp. The audio output still says "TV Speakers." My TV remote also now controls the Amp volume.  Does anyone know why this would be happening? I'm not able to listen to sound though the TV speakers. Just through the Sonos Amp.  I cannot tell if this is a TV or an Amp issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This is an HDMI- CEC function - the jury is still out on the answer to the question if this is just with Sonos or if it will happen with other soundbars/HDMI devices too. Turn off Bravia link (Sony-speak for HDMI-CEC) for the time you want to listen to the TV-speakers (though I can't imagine you can stand to listen to those once you are used to listening to you Amp.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks for your response.  You said to turn off Bravia link.  Do you mean Bravia sync?  Bravia sync is off and the sound still will not come though the TV.

Edit: I found this on Bravia sync:

• Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on.

However, I have Bravia sync control off.  Is there a setting that I’m not aware of?

Edit: Here is my exact issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Your right, this function seems to be called Bravia Sync. If my solution does not work I can’t help you any further. Sorry.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I have the same issue as you and I don’t know how to fix it either. The only reason I have to use the tv speakers is that our one local tv station can not get their news audio right. Using the ARC with surround speakers, however, I can turn off the surrounds, and then it works just fine. But due to old age, I sometimes forget to turn the surrounds back on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@toyboy Most often temporarily disabling HDMI-CEC is the work around for this, but it seems not to be with some Somy TV's. Do you also own a Sony?

In what way can your local TV-station “not get their news audio right”?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I have a Sony 2017 model. When this one station does their local news the vocals come through the ARC and the surrounds. So I turn off the surrounds. But when they cut to a commercial even if the surrounds are on the commercial plays as it should. The station is KRGV Brownsville, TX. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I use the Amp for a 2.0 system.  I mainly listen to music through the Sonos App.  I have my Sony TV connected to the Amp via ARC to listen to TV/Blu-ray concerts in stereo.  However, I also want to be able to listen to music using my Mac and have the TV on at the same time.  The only way I can do this is by setting the audio out on the TV to TV Speakers.  There was just an update for the Amp a few days ago.  Hopefully there will be another update soon that will fix this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I’m assuming you don’t have an Apple TV. Then you could airplay from your Mac. Apple TV is the reason I got the HD Fury.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

No, I don’t have an Apple TV.  I have ethernet going to the Amp and it works perfectly that way.  I wouldn’t want to change things.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I have the same issue as you and I don’t know how to fix it either. The only reason I have to use the tv speakers is that our one local tv station can not get their news audio right. Using the ARC with surround speakers, however, I can turn off the surrounds, and then it works just fine. But due to old age, I sometimes forget to turn the surrounds back on.

I just updated to 13.1 on my Mac and it did not fix the issue.  How about you?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I can not airplay sling.com to my Apple 4K TV through my MacBook Pro, Mac Mini M1, or iPhone.

Not all apps can use AirPlay 2. It requires the app itself to have the latest API from Apple to be included in the code base. 

Sonos doesn’t  have any ability to deal with the interface between your current Apple devices and your Apple TV, that’s either on Sling or Apple.