Question

Audio Dropouts -- HELP!

• 4 September 2017
  • 9 replies

I have been a Sonos owner for about 6 months and while I love the system overall, it's extremely frustrating that my Playbar experiences audio dropouts consistently. The dropouts are never more than a second or so, but this should not be occurring with a $2000 sound system. My system setup is a Samsung KS8000 feeding audio through the OneConnect optical port directly into my Sonos Playbar. The dropouts occur when using the Samsung native apps (Netflix, Plex, Hulu) or when using a third-party set top box like Fire TV. I do not have cable TV so I can't say for certain whether the dropouts are occurring with cable.

I just had the dropout occur this morning, and I submitted a diagnostic immediately after, confirmation number 7803047. I would like somebody from Sonos to get in touch with me as I would like to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I'm having a similar problem.
There appears to be a thread where they're sending people a beta build that seems to be resolving issues like this one. You'd need to post a diagnostic in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926
There appears to be a thread where they're sending people a beta build that seems to be resolving issues like this one. You'd need to post a diagnostic in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926

Thank you, I was unaware of this. I suspect this may not resolve my issues as they were ongoing prior to the 7.4 update, but I've requested to be a part of that beta regardless.

To Sonos: once I've updated via the 7.4.1 beta and have had a chance to use the system, I will update this thread. It's difficult because the problem is random and is not reproduceable, so if the beta does not resolve my issue, it may not be apparent for days or even conceivably weeks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi ristvedt, thanks for passing along the diagnostic and additional details. After a review, I can see this is not related to issue in the other thread, which is why I chose to reply here. To start, can you please check to make sure the firmware for your Samsung TV is up to date? Do you have the optical cable for the PLAYBAR zip tied or making any sharp bends? A crimp in the optical cable can sometimes cause problems with audio playback. Is there another device at your location that has an optical out that we could wire the PLAYBAR to as a test?
Hi ristvedt, thanks for passing along the diagnostic and additional details. After a review, I can see this is not related to issue in the other thread, which is why I chose to reply here. To start, can you please check to make sure the firmware for your Samsung TV is up to date? Do you have the optical cable for the PLAYBAR zip tied or making any sharp bends? A crimp in the optical cable can sometimes cause problems with audio playback. Is there another device at your location that has an optical out that we could wire the PLAYBAR to as a test?

Andy,

Thank you for your reply. The Samsung TV software is up to date. Additionally, there are no crimps, bends, or zip ties on the optical cable. Additionally, when this problem first began, I purchased a brand new optical cable from Amazon as I've read up on other peoples' similar issues. The problem was the same with both the Sonos-provided optical cable and the optical cable which I purchased brand new off of Amazon. I've also tried using the PLAYBAR with my Vizio TV (M Series), and the same issues occurred then as well.
Andy,

Any update on this?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi ristvedt - Due to the nature of the issue, I believe it will be best to have you reach out for phone support. This will allow one of our technicians to dig a little deeper and raise the diagnostics level for your PLAYBAR. I've created an incident for you (170906-001606) with all the information gathered here thus far.
Badge +1
My playbar is connected tomy LG.OLED tv ( I submitted my audio diagnostics 7784318). They are connected via optical cable and work spectacularly. However, I get 1-2 seconds of audio dropout every 5 minutes or so. I can live with it, but annoying. Is there a fix?
There appears to be one in the beta. In order to get the beta release that contains that fix, you need to post a diagnostic in this thread: