Question

Audio Dropout on Playbar when watching TV shows/ Optical to Mac Mini

• 21 October 2016
  • 3 replies

I know that some have had issues with the Dolby 5.1 signal used for TV when connected to a Samsung TV, but I am directly connected to my media server (A Mac Mini)
The breaks in audio seem to happen sporadically but, enough to be bothersome. I am also directly connected to my modem with an Ethernet cable to the playbar.
Is it possible that some other post processing system is interfering with the sonos equipment? Are there any features on my computer which may cause this. It hasn't been a consistent issue until recently and I want to get the best out of my system. I almost NEVER have an issue with playback with music, rarely on a film; it seems specific to television programs audio feed.
I have also used 2 separate toslink cables and am unsure if changing the sonos channel would have any effect.

Can anyone offer some advice? I have searched the site and found very little outside of the issue with Samsung TV's

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi ValeMDA, welcome to the community. Any post-processing will likely happen at the software end. What are you using to stream the content from the Mac Mini to the TV? Is your optical cable in the Mac or the Samsung? Please also send us a diagnostic of your Sonos system when you are watching that television content which gives the drops. Let us know the confirmation number you get.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I am now not so sure it is a Samsung glitch but a playbar glitch with certain 5.1 audio streams
I have extensively tested my set up - all latest firmware, rebooting, restarting, does audio sync processing affect things, all cables/connecters, through switch and direct, and every other combination I can think of. It's taken hours.

The playbar only cuts out with a 5.1 signal (stereo is fine) - with caveats. Playbar sits at the end of a three way optical switch. Playbar is hardwired. I have rock solid wifi and no network problems.

Tv - Samsung 8500, optical output set to DD
Bluray/pvr - samsung set to output DD, connected by hdmi and optical.
SKy Hd box connected both by optical and hdmi to TV.

Right.
Tv set to DD feeding playbar - cuts out for a second or so

Sky box output DD - cuts out for a scond or so via hdmi via tv output. And the rub...it cuts out when fed directly via DD optical. No drop outs with recorded material either hdmi or optical!

Bluray - no drop outs at all when fed via optical or via hdmi to tv for bluray, recorded programmes and direct broadcasts.

Whilst not making this correlation equal causation it does seem to be connected. The playbar does definitely drop out when fed a certain DD signal - from my tv AND from the Sky box. As two independent sources present the same problem then it suggests (possibly) that the playbar is causing the dropouts and not the feeds.

So there must be (or is there?) something embedded in the audio stream that causes the playbar to drop out. I would have thought that this disparity should not be not too difficult to analyse by comparing input and output signals. If I had the equipment I'd do it myself.
Hi ValeMDA, welcome to the community. Any post-processing will likely happen at the software end. What are you using to stream the content from the Mac Mini to the TV? Is your optical cable in the Mac or the Samsung? Please also send us a diagnostic of your Sonos system when you are watching that television content which gives the drops. Let us know the confirmation number you get.

Thanks Tom... Just to be clear on my set up:

I'm running a mac mini with a optical cable running from the mac to the playbar directly. I am running a HDMI cable to a projector for video. I'll send diagnostics when I get home this evening.