Question

Audio Dropout

Does anyone experience intermittent audio dropouts with the Sonos Playbar? I have a Sony TV connected via an optical cable to the Playbar. The dropouts occur sporadically and last 1 second every minute or so. It used to work perfectly until latest software update.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

RoyBoy,

Which software update? TV? Cable box? SONOS?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi RoyBoy,

Do the audio interruptions only happen when listening to audio from your TV? What happens when you play music from the radio or from your music library?

If the drops happen only when listening to the TV there may be an issue with the connection between the TV and PLAYBAR. If the drops happen on all music there may be wireless interference or a networking issue.

To determine exactly why this is happening we would like to see some data from your system. Please submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
HI RoyBoy,

Try a full system reboot first. Start with the router and then everything else
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Have a look at

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/adding-a-tips-and-tricks-heading-and-a-sonos-101-for-newbies-6730704
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
My PlayBar works 100% of the time. Yours can too.
Badge
Same problem here for quite some time. Only when watching TV, completely random and not reproducible (TV directly connected to the Soundbar and 100% 5.1 supported).

There was an old and very long thread about this problem on the 'ask sonos'-site.
I think I read something about DD+ (?) which is not supported by Sonos (?). In my case could come from the Horizon box from my provider.

Not solved so far as far as I know.
Badge
I opened a case last evening on this as well, Samsung 4K and connected to the Playbar via Samsung one connect box ToS. Intermittent audio drops, TV sending DD 5.1. No solution ......
I have the same drop out situation it only occurs on play bar off the TV. I signed up for Beta and nothing's available. I will change fiber cable tomorrow however it is frustrating
I have Verizon Fios
I think that this issue is a combination of the program, cable box, TV, and possibly SONOS.

In some cases the drops will be audible directly from the SAMSUNG TV's own speakers (PLAYBAR is not being used). The drops are not always as noticeable when using the TV's own speakers rather than PLAYBAR. It is not clear to me if this extra fumbling is caused by the TV's optical output or PLAYBAR's reaction to a nonstandard data stream.

A not very nice short term solution is to use the cable box analog audio outputs.
My Tv is a Samsung the weirdest piece is it's gotten worse since it started
Badge
If a short term solution is to use the cable box, doesn't that pint to the Playbar not handling the stream correctly from the TV?

I had my Playbar hooked up to my Mits and it worked fine, new Samsung ToS connection I now see these drops.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you are having audio drops when listening to TV audio there is likely an issue with either the TV's output, the optical cable, or the PLAYBAR itself. You can temporarily connect your PLAYBAR directly to your cable box to see if the TV is the issue. If you have no audio drop outs when your PLAYBAR is connected to your cable box, yet there are drops when connected to your TV, the TV is likely the issue.

If audio drops occur only when playing music, there may be wireless interference or a networking issue as music is coming to the PLAYBAR through your network wirelessly rather than through the optical cable.

In any event, if you are unable to wire your PLAYBAR in to your cable box to test, or if the problem is still unclear, please send us a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number. Here's how to submit diagnostic reports.
Badge
HI Jeff... I did submit a diagnostic report live with one of your support folks, he saw the drops in that report. I have a hard time believing the TV is the issue, I already did your test and the playbar does not drop when connected to the Directv receiver. I also connect the TV to my surround system and my surround system never drops... Only when I connect the TV to the Playbar does this happen. If use PCM from the TV, the Playbar never drops..when I set TV to Dolby Digital this happens periodically
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
HI Jeff... I did submit a diagnostic report live with one of your support folks, he saw the drops in that report. I have a hard time believing the TV is the issue, I already did your test and the playbar does not drop when connected to the Directv receiver. I also connect the TV to my surround system and my surround system never drops... Only when I connect the TV to the Playbar does this happen. If use PCM from the TV, the Playbar never drops..when I set TV to Dolby Digital this happens periodically

Do you have an incident number? Our phone folks usually don't end support until an issue is completely resolved. Was your case escalated to our tier 2 team?
Badge
He said he was going to send me an email with all that but I never got it, I called in Wednesday evening around 7pm EST
Badge
Anything you can lookup, Jeff?..... would love to get this resolved... the Sonos system otherwise if flawless with music...etc
I found my issue to be my older SONY TV optical output. I don't know if it is a digital format issue with the output or faulty SONY hardware. When I use a newer LG TV optical output, the dropout stopped.
I'm certain it is something to do with the output however my TV is new its the new Samsung 75" curve TV so I'm guessing it has good electronics.. I notice the drop off more on Netflix then on FIOS. I'm going to run a dedicated cat 5 to my TV instead of using the wireless option I will keep you all posted.
My hard wire fixed my frequent drops on Netflix
MLukov,

Consider yourself lucky. Evidently, Netflix was starved for data when using wireless. I have observed this issue on regular cable programs -- even when there is no SONOS. The last time that I checked, there was finger pointing all around. "It's not our problem, contact [...]".
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
New sony tv with 5,1 optical output all the new hdmi cables and optical cables there is no fix and there is not going to be 2 new sat boxes 10 different settings on 3 devices believe me there is no fix enjoy stereo sound from your television because that is all your ever going to get. I'm very disappointed myself, the product was rushed to the market by sonos to early in my opinion with very little testing by people that really didn't understand audio from television or 5.1 dolby digital. Was designed for music not television, constant audio dropouts forever, this has been happening for 3 years. So sad so many customers wasted all there hard earned money.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
New sony tv with 5,1 optical output all the new hdmi cables and optical cables there is no fix and there is not going to be 2 new sat boxes 10 different settings on 3 devices believe me there is no fix enjoy stereo sound from your television because that is all your ever going to get. I'm very disappointed myself, the product was rushed to the market by sonos to early in my opinion with very little testing by people that really didn't understand audio from television or 5.1 dolby digital. Was designed for music not television, constant audio dropouts forever, this has been happening for 3 years. So sad so many customers wasted all there hard earned money.

Hi Beetle777,

I've pulled up your support ticket and it looks like the technician asked you to reach out to Dish and see if they can help change a setting on your cable box. You did not reply to that incident. Did you reach out to Dish? If so, please update your support ticket with their response and we can continue support. Your case number is 160318-000699.
Badge
Hi,
I have the same issue on to only.

Your confirmation number is: 6113234
Badge
*tv