Answered

Audio drop line in

Badge
Hi i just purchased a play 5 to go with my player and set of 1's. I am aware it is difficult for the system to stream uncompressed vinyl over WiFi but honestly my speakers are literally meters from the router. Play 5 is on the hall just outside living room. The playbar is fine as it is wired, its the play 1's that cut out. Either i have the most unreliable WiFi ever or it can not handle the audio regardless of position. Anyway not sure if i can submit anything not sure how to view diagnostics! I don't really want to have to spend another wedge of money on a boost. It works fine compressed but meh

Oh I've also tried changing channels, using just my network etc etc.
icon

Best answer by Skellionz 10 June 2018, 21:04

It's randomly started working. I basically removed playbar from router and set it all up fresh again. Now no drop out. Shrug! Oh well I'm happy lol

I'm fact I've just found out whats made it start working. I ran trueplay for the first time and it stopped skipping. Aa soon as i turn it off it starts, any idea why?
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Skellionz,

Because your Sonos PlayBar is wired, your entire system should be running on SonosNet... first confirm that is the case by going to the 'About my Sonos system' in the Sonos App Settings. Make sure all devices in the hardware list have WM: 0 next to each speaker.

After checking that is the case, goto 'Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup' and remove/reset your WiFi credentials in that section. They are not needed when running your devices on SonosNet.

Next check that the SonosNet wifi channel (Advanced Settings of Sonos App) is completely different to your 2.4ghz outer WiFi channel, in fact it’s best to set those at least 5 channels apart.

If problems still persist, perhaps also cable the nearest Play:1 Speaker to your router too, but make sure it’s a good 4 feet away from your router.
Badge
Hi I've made sure everything is as you've said. The only thing i can't do is wire one of the rear 1's the whole point in the system is that i didnt want wires around my living room. Seems even with a strong 120mbit wireless signal it still cant handle it uncompressed. It lasted about 15 seconds before it started dropping out
What happens when you switch it to compressed?
Badge
Its fine with compressed. I'm not sure how much quality loss you actually get but it kinda defeats the point of listening to vinyl if you need to compress it. Ah well guess I'll have to save for a boost
I’m not convinced a Boost will make the slightest difference to your current audio drop-out experience. You are presumably running your system on SonosNet anyway, which is what the Boost is designed to do. Let’s ask Sonos Staff to help.

Switch your system back to uncompressed and then when the audio drops-out submit a diagnostic as per the link below.

Submit System Diagnostics

Then post the reference number back here and we can perhaps ask the Staff to take a look to see if they can suggest anything that may help you out.

The only issue is today is a busy day for them due to the announcement and launch of the new Sonos Beam PlayBar so we may have to wait a while till someone gets an opportunity to look at your diagnostic,

Once you post the diagnostic reference here, I will flag the thread to them and ask them if they can kindly step in and take a look for you.
Badge
Will do tomorrow.
Badge
2043315690 i hope someone can check it when they have time to see whats going on! Thanks
I have flagged this thread to Sonos, so if you can follow my link in my earlier post and submit a diagnostic and post the reference here, then when Staff are free they may take a look for you and provide some additional feedback and suggestions.
As an experiment, try selecting 'Airplay Device' for the Line-In device type. You can always rename it later. This increases the buffer size from 70ms to 500ms, without affecting the compression setting. In some cases this is just enough to avoid dropouts when streaming Uncompressed.
Thanks for that Ratty. That’s a very good idea and I had completely forgot about that.

Do all the Line-In Source types have a slightly different buffer sizes? If so, is there a list anywhere please that shows what they are?
All use the default buffer, except for 'Airplay Device'.
All use the default buffer, except for 'Airplay Device'.
Thanks Again ?... it seems that every day is a school day for me.
Badge
Thanks i had actually already tried airplay with no success. I read up pretty thoroughly on the subject lol
Skellionz,

I have flagged this thread for Sonos Staff to take a look at your diagnostic, but perhaps if you don’t get a reply by tomorrow (as they are probably busy with the Beam launch) then you may want to contact them via twitter, where Sonos Staff provide 24/7 support... see link below:

Contact Sonos Support via Twitter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, Skellionz. Thanks for posting and sharing your diagnostic report number. When it comes to problems regarding line-in and dropouts, it's almost always a connectivity problem between the source of the signal and the player. In the diagnostic report you submitted, I'm seeing a small bit of trouble (about 10% Packet Error Rate) between the Living Room Playbar and the Hall Play:5. Was this report run shortly after re-creating the dropouts?

Both Ken_Griffiths and ratty have offered some helpful ideas with trying AirPlay and changing compression settings to combat this. These suggestions are exactly what I would have done to get a better picture of the problem. From the sound of the results, it furthers my conviction that the problem is likely environmental. Remember, the problem isn't necessarily your connection out to the internet, but rather the point-to-point connection between the Play:5 (line-in source) and the Playbar (the coordinator of the Living Room).

That all being said, let's take a look at the area between these two units. Neither of the units are pointing to physical electronic errors, so the physical placement shouldn't be a problem. What is the distance between these two units? Is there Line of Sight between the two players? And if not, what are the walls made of?
Badge
I wired the play 5 today but that didn't make a difference, the playbar and play 5 dont have line of sight there is one inner wall separating them. Pretty sure its concrete though. I'm only getting drop out on the two living room play 1's they are kinda behind the sofa

And yes i ran the report right as the sound dropped. Ideally ofc i would have wanted the turntable in the living room but it's literally just outside in the hall. Cant be more than 10 meters
Badge
It's randomly started working. I basically removed playbar from router and set it all up fresh again. Now no drop out. Shrug! Oh well I'm happy lol

I'm fact I've just found out whats made it start working. I ran trueplay for the first time and it stopped skipping. Aa soon as i turn it off it starts, any idea why?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
In fact I've just found out whats made it start working. I ran trueplay for the first time and it stopped skipping. As soon as i turn it off it starts, any idea why?
It might be a coincidence that it seems tied to the TruePlay feature, but without getting a look at it in real time it'll be difficult to pin down the exact cause.

If you're happy, I'm happy. If you want to dig a little deeper or if the issue comes up again, I'd recommend giving our support technicians a call. They should be able to shed a little more light into what is going on.