Audio Delay when using DD + surround

• 25 September 2022
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

I have an arc soundbar, two, one sl rears, and a gen 3 sub. When Dolby Digital plus surround is available, I get an audio delay compared to video, i.e. lip sync issue. Slowing the audio will make it worse.  I am using a 2019 Samsung that only has HDMI ARC.  I’ve tried many settings on the tv with no success. Any ideas? Do I need a TV with eARC due to high data transmission requirements?

6 replies

What is the origin of the DD+ audio source that your are playing, is it from a built in TV App, or an App on another device connected to your TV - Does the TV support digital audio ‘pass-through’ across its ports?

Thanks for the reply. For input sources, I’ve tried Apple TV 4K both gen 1 and 4, 4K firestick, and chrome cast with google tv. All the same issue. The Samsung TV does not have the ability to pass through (it’s not my main tv and I am trying to avoid buying a tv that has earc instead of the arc port it currently has). I am thinking of a splitter/audio extractor. 

Thanks for the reply. For input sources, I’ve tried Apple TV 4K both gen 1 and 4, 4K firestick, and chrome cast with google tv. All the same issue. The Samsung TV does not have the ability to pass through (it’s not my main tv and I am trying to avoid buying a tv that has earc instead of the arc port it currently has). I am thinking of a splitter/audio extractor. 

Yes, it sounds like the TV is processing the audio through its ports and slowing it down - an extractor is an option, but if you have the Sonos Optical adapter that came with your Arc, then I would try that with DD 5.1 audio instead, as routing the audio through some TV optical ports can often avoid the delay and you will not lose much in terms of the overall audio. So perhaps give that a try, as it may work and save you paying out for an extractor.

Two extractors to maybe consider, if you decide to go that route instead are (there are others)…

VAX04101A

https://feintech.eu/en/products/feintech-vax04101-hdmi-earc-pass-switch-4x1

Or…

Arcana

https://www.hdfury.uk/product/hdfury-arcana/

Note an extractor will not work for the TV’s own built-in Apps to play their audio in sync (if those Apps are also an issue).

Thanks. I actually just tried the optical adapter a few hours before and it seemed to work. Then all of the sudden the delay came back after switching between services (delay was not there with 5.2 enabled on YouTube tv, then went to Prime video and it showed up in all apps after that. Very bizarre. 

Thanks. I actually just tried the optical adapter a few hours before and it seemed to work. Then all of the sudden the delay came back after switching between services (delay was not there with 5.2 enabled on YouTube tv, then went to Prime video and it showed up in all apps after that. Very bizarre. 

It maybe the TV is processing some audio formats, make sure ALL devices in the setup are set to output DD 5.1 audio when using Optical, rather than ‘Auto’ or DD+. That may help.

Just to say, I had the same issue too with a secondary TV in our Dining Room and I gave up and bought the Feintech VAX04101A in the end and that solved my issue. I chose that particular extractor because it has a built-in switch, so I was able to connect several devices, the best of which has been the Nvidia Shield TV. Many others here have opted for the Arcana and a separate switch, which apparently also works well.