Audio Delay through Connect Amps.

When I play live DJ music through a seperate set of speakers via XLR and I also connect the Dj mixer output to a Sonos connect via RCA, which feeds into th Sonos network with 7 connect amps wired up to in-ceiling speakers. The problem is that there is a significant delay when the audio is passed to the Sonos network. It's probably about 1/2 to 3/4 of a second delay, which makes it near impossible to mix correctly and stream the live mix around the house.

I also notice this delay when I have a TV connected to to the rca input of the Sonos, so it's not the mixer at fault. It's been this way since brand new and after man firmware updates.

Any tips? is this a hardware limitation due to running over wifi and processing, or is this something which can be rectified with a firmware update?

~ cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

It's the way it was designed. Basically, as I understand it, it's buffering the music data so that it can be seamlessly broadcast across the 2.4Ghz network oon all speakers.

There's a slightly different system for the Playbar/Playbase and connected surrounds and SUB, where they use the 5Ghz band to avoid that delay, but for the Play:1, 3 and 5, as well as connect and connect:amp, you'll have that delay.

Its why there have been many folks on these boards that have been told that Sonos isn't a great solution for a DJ system. Unfortunate, to be sure, but it really isn't designed for that use.
Cheers for your reply. I was really hoping that wasn't going to be the case, but I suspected it might be :(

I wonder if I change to compressed transmission if it will make any difference. As I say I can't even watch TV using Sonos. I see that the Playbar etc has a delay adjustment. Anyone know if this is something that can be incorporated into the connect amp via a software update, ie compression on, delay 0, latency reduced or eliminated.
Cheers for your reply. I was really hoping that wasn't going to be the case, but I suspected it might be :(

I wonder if I change to compressed transmission if it will make any difference. As I say I can't even watch TV using Sonos. I see that the Playbar etc has a delay adjustment. Anyone know if this is something that can be incorporated into the connect amp via a software update, ie compression on, delay 0, latency reduced or eliminated.

Compressed actually makes the delay longer.

The reason the Playbar can adjust the delay is because it utilizes 5 GHz wireless, which has much lower latency than 2.4 GHz. The trade off is it doesn't travel through floors or walls too well, so Sonos has found it only fit for surround sound applications, where low latency is needed for video sync, and the surrounds, Sub, and Playbar are all in the same room.

Besides, the Connect:Amp predates the advent of 5 GHz, so even if 5 GHz was viable for multi-room, the current Connect:Amp does not have the 5 GHz radio needed.
It's actually packet jitter (latency variation) rather than absolute latency which determines the amount of buffering required. Latency is generally sub-millisecond. The dedicated 5GHz wireless hops have considerably lower packet jitter than the general, multi-hop 2.4GHz SonosNet mesh, or indeed a shared 2.4GHz WiFi.
I had a problem with sound delay when using the "line in" on my Connect. The fix was simple: Open the Sonos desktop application. Select Manage, Settings, Advanced, General and set Audio Compression to "Uncompressed." Now, the sound (thru Sonos) and the TV picture are synchronized. 😃
I had a problem with sound delay when using the "line in" on my Connect. The fix was simple: Open the Sonos desktop application. Select Manage, Settings, Advanced, General and set Audio Compression to "Uncompressed." Now, the sound (thru Sonos) and the TV picture are synchronized. :D

Cheers for your reply, I currently do run on uncompressed, yet I still suffer latency :(
It sounds like this is not solvable with the current hardware. I have 5Ghz running throughout the house already for the rest of my wifi network, it would be nice to tap into that. Or even if I cabled the Sonos with LAN cables instead, I might investigate that to see if it drops the latency. I've got 8 connects around the house, I can't LAN them all but I can do a couple to test. Does anyone know if when you insert a LAN cable the Sonos defaults to sending a receiving the stream via LAN, or does it still use wifi/mesh to connect to other connects?
Userlevel 2
Badge
When you cable your PlayBar, Sub and CONNECT:AMP (for surrounds) does Sonos then use the wired connections for audio data?
When you cable your PlayBar, Sub and CONNECT:AMP (for surrounds) does Sonos then use the wired connections for audio data?
Yes. Sonos will prefer wired over wireless.

With CONNECT:AMP surrounds a wired path to the PLAYBAR is mandatory.
This is an old thread, but many have solved this issues with receivers/amps by monitoring the output of the Connect rather than playing the main source directly. Receiver source--out to connect--back in to receiver. See this thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/delay-from-connect-line-in-6791631/index1.html#post16258384
I found a solution that works for me. Was trying to explain it to someone in another thread and words just didnt work so drew it out on paper. You need this specialty switch for 2 amplifier sources into 1 speaker pair. Only downside is you cant send your dj audio all over the house to other Sonos devices, but that wasn't necessary for me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796KGVXT/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
This is an old thread, but many have solved this issues with receivers/amps by monitoring the output of the Connect rather than playing the main source directly. Receiver source--out to connect--back in to receiver. See this thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/delay-from-connect-line-in-6791631/index1.html#post16258384 yeah but while your cue and the room would be in sync, this method means everything you do on the mixer itself will be out of sync. You'd have to mentally adjust your movements on the mixer to (hopefully) be in time with the music. Doesn't sound like fun dj-ing