I should start this off by saying that I am posting this for community awareness for anyone with a similar setup to me, and to request Sonos' help with contacting TCL as I don't believe this is entirely (if at all) a Sonos-related issue.
I have a TCL TV (55R617) setup with a PS4 connected to one HDMI port, and a Sonos Beam connected via HDMI 3 (ARC), but have noticed significant audio delay (around 300-400 ms) from the PS4 when I try to play Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Playing 2ch Linear PCM audio is fine, and I believe this is similar to the audio delay issues previously posted in these forums with other TVs (such as LG).
- I've tested Dolby Digital 5.1 from the PS4 to the TV via HDMI-ARC, Optical S/PDIF, and to just the TV speakers (disconnecting the soundbar) and all three experience a very noticeable audio delay with Dolby 5.1
- I have also tried every possible audio config option in the TCL Roku TV's settings menu (Settings>Audio) including "Auto Detect" and solely "Dolby 5.1" (but I've tested the other options too, such as "Dolby, DTS", etc.) which all exhibit no difference.
- Playing Dolby Digital 5.1 sound from built-in TV apps such as Netflix or Plex, have no delay. The delay is only from HDMI devices connected to the TV.
- I don't have any other HDMI devices that support Dolby 5.1 to test with, but testing Dolby 5.1 from a PS4 to another TV (Hisense) to the Sonos beam there is no delay, which further makes me believe that the issue is a TCL software problem with its audio handling.
- If I disable "Game Mode" on the TCL TV then the Dolby 5.1 audio and video more closely line up, but the input lag makes gaming not possible.
The TV is stated to have Dolby Digital 5.1 pass-through, which if it was passing the audio through to the HDMI-ARC soundbar without any processing, then there should be no delay.
As the Sonos Beam only supports Dolby Digital 5.1 for surround sound, the only possible option to remove the delay is to use LPCM. Connecting the PS4 directly to the Beam would not be practical as I mostly use my TV's apps for content, which would not allow me to use a HDMI switch with optical out.