Audio Delay Between Connect and Play 5

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
If you have multiple receivers in the house/zone, with or without Sonos, you already have this problem. Many of these devices (particularly AVRs) do provide an audio delay/lip-sync function as well. So, set the delay on the Sonos end long enough to get behind all the receivers/amps, and then use each individual receiver/amp's audio delay settings to individually sync them together.

If you have multiple receivers without this capability, then whether you have Sonos or not, you don't have a free solution for getting them sync'd up. You'd need to get a little lip sync delay device for the offending receiver/amp ($70 to $100). But at least you'd have that option.
If you have multiple receivers in the house/zone, with or without Sonos, you already have this problem. Many of these devices (particularly AVRs) do provide an audio delay/lip-sync function as well. So, set the delay on the Sonos end long enough to get behind all the receivers/amps, and then use each individual receiver/amp's audio delay settings to individually sync them together.

If you have multiple receivers without this capability, then whether you have Sonos or not, you don't have a free solution for getting them sync'd up. You'd need to get a little lip sync delay device for the offending receiver/amp ($70 to $100). But at least you'd have that option.

Do you realize the fringe cases you are describing here, not to mention the gymnastics you need to go through to solve a "problem" that has amounted to 50 posts in 4 years, most of which are explaining, not complaining?

Personally, I use a Connect with a receiver that has a delay for any DSP. You know what I do? I turn off the damn DSP's and listen to stereo sources the way they were recorded, in stereo. "Problem" solved.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I have a device without a way to eliminate the delay, even in analog stereo mode (6ms delay is the best I can manage). So I don't have a solution, and there are still people who are unhappy about that solution anyway. Yes, it's a fringe case, and yes this one thread has only so many posts in it. For the people affected by it, it'd be nice to have some way to address it.

One, single audio delay for all of the Sonos PLAY devices would let me completely resolve this issue. So what if it takes some "gymastics", as you call it (and they are hardly gymnastics...setting a lip-sync delay is not exactly hard labor)? The point is, one delay for Sonos PLAY devices would give me something I can work with. Right now, they don't give me anything at all.

This is not a difficult feature to implement, it can be done in software, and it's a 5+ year old feature request that would make customers happy if it was resolved. I don't understand why the feature request makes people so hostile. It's a reasonable thing to ask for especially in a system where a major selling point is synchronization of players.
That is you. One anecdotal case does not drive major software changes. The vast majority of receivers do not have adjustable delays, their DSPs delays are variable, not set in stone, and purchasing an outboard "lip sync delay device" most certainly is gymnastics to fix a problem not many are complaining about, especially when the vast majority of receivers do have the ability to disable the DSP using Direct or Through mode.
You misinterpret my post. I'm not playing "gotcha", I'm explaining why there is not much interest in "fixing" this. Your particular situation is fringe, in that you have a receiver with no Pure or Through mode, something the vast majority of receivers have. This is the proper way to "fix" the issue for the vast majority of users. It will cure variable delays DSP within a single receiver problems, multiple receiver problems, etc. It simply will not solve the problems for your fringe case. For that you are left in the cold, but certainly you cannot fault Sonos for not "fixing" something that does not affect the vast majority of users (as shown by the mere 50 post in 4 years on this thread) and something for which the vast majority of receivers already offer a solution.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I agree with you about the "why". As time goes on, the number of people with older receivers and sound bars that lack a pure/direct/unprocessed mode will diminish, too. (I also believe that Sonos really wants to sell you PLAY devices, not CONNECTs, so there's not much motivation even for a simple feature like this one.)
Add to that a full plate from the voice control moves made and pending.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm not 100% about the lack of requirement on this. I have a play 1 in the same room as a connect attached to an old sony AV receiver. Given that we have a new TV I was looking for a new amp that would support the latest HDMI version for 4k. However I have tried all of the following brands (Sony, Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo) and in direct/pure mode they only output in 2.0 which sounds shocking from smaller surround speakers or (in the case of the sony which does output 2.1) exhibit a delay which causes an echo effect when paired with the play 1. The second you take them out of pure mode you have a much bigger delay.

I have tried just about every possible combination of feeding the signal into the amps, via analogue L-R, digital coax and digital optical (digital on the off chance that the amp was converting analogue to digital and back to analogue) But it just doesn't work.

As far as I can tell I only have 3 options
1) stick with my old amp as it works with the connect (all be it I don't get the 4k picture from any of my sources)
2) ditch the connect (not ideal as I get better sound from this than the play 1) and replace it with a play 1
3) Get bigger speakers at the front (but I don't want this as they will impose on the room).

All in all its a bit rubbish.

There are other forum posts on this.
https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/recommended-receivers-that-don-t-have-a-delay-when-used-with-a-sonos-connect-6739257
so I would like to add my voice to request this. Would like this more than the changes they keep making to how the android app is organised.
In the end, the Connect was designed and built to play music through a hifi amp and speakers. Sales of Connects must be tiny now compared with Play speakers and I would guess few of those are for AV receivers. And there it isn't really an issue if you aren't grouping. I understand your frustration but the situation is not going to change.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
As far as I can tell I only have 3 options
1) stick with my old amp as it works with the connect (all be it I don't get the 4k picture from any of my sources)
2) ditch the connect (not ideal as I get better sound from this than the play 1) and replace it with a play 1
3) Get bigger speakers at the front (but I don't want this as they will impose on the room).

You have a fourth option if you don't mind spending a little more money: use both your old amp and the new AVR in tandem. You can have your CONNECT hooked up to your old amp, then have both your AVR and the old amp run to an automatic A/B speaker-level switch. Put the Sonos on the A line, and the AVR on the B line. When your AVR is off, you get Sonos via the CONNECT. When the AVR turns on, the speakers get switched to the AVR.

We do this in our family room where we have a CONNECT:AMP. We didn't want to have yet more speakers just for Sonos, so sharing the mains between the AVR and the CONNECT:AMP was a convenient solution.

You used to be able to get one of these from MCM for US$50, but when Newark took over the price nearly doubled. 😞
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
(Adding to my previous comment)

Best is really the Niles SPK-1, which is triggered by a 12V control source. It can be hard to find, though, which means the price fluctuates.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
RCA cables will give you the closest to fully synced (and will sync if you are in pure mode). But will not send any signal to the subwoofer. Did you manage to get 2.1 sound fully in sync?
3 cases :
7ch stereo (including subwoofer, so 7.1ch at the end)

Straight is 2.1ch

Direct is without any treatment, so pure 2ch and no subwoofer.

All 3 cases are synced so i definitely choose the 7ch stereo.
The AV seems to understand the stereo signal and split between sub and L/R speakers, with center being a mix of L+R.

My AV is a yamaha RX-A660.
I created a scene for that input (AV4 + 7ch stereo).
Sadly it cannot auto switch to that source, or better auto power on the AV with that source, like a HDMI CEC woud do...

Hope this will help. See ya 🆒
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Went and got the RX-A670 today as the RX-A660 in no longer for sale and am sorry to report that unless its i straight mode there is a delay (its not massive but its there) . I have tried models from denon, sony and yamaha and none of the will send a signal to the sub and there not be a delay.

The only way this going to get resolved is if sonon make an option avalible for connect customers.
I've been following a number of threads regarding this issue and decided to take the plunge anyways, buying a Connect and pair of Ones recently. I have 2 tvs in the basement and have never been able to sync the audio between them for parties. With super bowl party coming up I had to find a solution and Sonos delivered. The receiver connected to the Connect is really old, an Onkyo HT-R510, but I cannot hear any delay secondary to processing when using 2.1 stereo with a sub. Everything is connected via RCA cables as there is definitely an echo when using coax. Not a direct solution for you but maybe Onkyo receivers have less of a processing delay. Now to decide if I should get a playbar for the tv with the Ones. :?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I too had an older AV receiver from Sony that output the sound in 2.1 without any delay. I tried both the latest Onkyo and Sony receiver without any joy at all. Onkyo became part of Pioneer in 2015 so the internals of their AV equipment is now very similar to Pioneer.
I understand that the delay is caused by processing that the AV receiver hardware is doing, but if you are making a product that is supposed to work with 3rd parties you have to be flexible and change your software to accommodate the foibles of the other systems. I could understand why you wouldn’t do if the problem was isolated to just one manufacture, but seeing as there isn’t a single 4k AV system out there that will output 2.1 sound without a delay I would suggest that the resolution must sit with Sonos. Some of the threads discussing this are now over 5 years old which in tech terms is a very long time.
Have you tried direct mode on the receiver to bypass the audio processing? There's also rumors of an updated Connect to be released this year. Suppose its possible that they'd add audio delay options with it but you'd only be delaying the line in content (ie. TV) and not any Wifi content unless they updated the Sonos software. You could always buy an older receiver like mine on ebay...ha.
Have you tried direct mode on the receiver to bypass the audio processing? There's also rumors of an updated Connect to be released this year. Suppose its possible that they'd add audio delay options with it but you'd only be delaying the line in content (ie. TV) and not any Wifi content unless they updated the Sonos software. You could always buy an older receiver like mine on ebay...ha. You sir are my hero. While it doesn't let me harness the full capabilities and flexibility offered by my receiver, this will do. SONOS, you appear to be off the hook...sort of.
Happy to help! Sonos is just trying to get you to buy their sub for the .1 benefit. 🙂
Happy to help! Sonos is just trying to get you to buy their sub for the .1 benefit. :) Yep...also, I was mistaken as it is only 2 channel I get and no sub as I pointed out. So it's basically like I have two more Sonos Ones in the living room. Not ideal, but again, I'll take it after hearing that awful echo.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
software version 8.5 been released, still not fixed

https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/recommended-receivers-that-don-t-have-a-delay-when-used-with-a-sonos-connect-6739257
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/connect-out-of-sync-with-play-speakers-5796502
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/audio-lag-with-sony-receiver-6803187
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/audio-delay-with-a-set-of-ones-play-5-and-sonos-connect-with-a-pioneer-vsx-1019ah-k-receiver-6793962
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/need-possibility-of-adding-delay-in-addition-to-the-normal-70ms-4485889/index7.html

It would be good if these weren't just ignored for ever more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is not a bug to be fixed. It is a new feature that is required and I can't see that happening anytime soon if at all. Not trying to say it's not needed just trying to manage your expectations. We have had no indication that Sonos are working on this, that doesn't mean they aren't but given the focus on Smart home products at the moment I suspect it is some way down the list 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes as I mentioned inrelease thread. I don’t see Sonos allowing people to go in and add delay to speakers around the house manually. They have been aware of the request for years and have never mentioned any thoughts on giving users the ability to add delay to their play speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
As mentioned by the 2 posters above this isn't a bug per se and there seems virtually no chance of it being "fixed"
Please sort this out Sonos. It can’t be hard and it really annoys me that you can’t be bothered. There is no way I am getting rid of my av receiver home cinema for your products, in fact I might eBay the two play 5s and the connect if I can find systems that can be grouped with delay.