Audio Delay Between Connect and Play 5

Userlevel 2
Disappointing not to have delay compensation in Play 5 so I can listen to my expensive stereo system with Connect at the same time as Play 5. Big echo between the two. I didn't see any warnings in the sales information. I feel like this was not disclosed. Can this be fixed with a software update? Or do I need to return one of the components?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The delay is likely caused by your expensive stereo system. If it is doing any kind of processing (i.e. Dolby Pro Logic or other sound environments), this is probably where the delay is being introduced. If your stereo offers a "Direct" mode, I would try that and see if that removes or significantly reduces the echo. That being said, there is also a feature/idea request for Sonos to add some kind of delay compensation setting. If you want to read through and support or add to this idea, use the link below. https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/need_possibility_of_adding_delay_in_addition_to_the_normal_70ms
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi Chris, MikeV's suggestion for third-party components is correct. I also want to suggest how you may optimize your Sonos components. On the PC/Mac Controller, select 'Manage' - 'Service Settings' - 'Advanced' and set audio compression to uncompressed. Doing so will ensure that the Sonos system itself is not causing any delay.
Userlevel 2
Thank you for your suggestions, they have helped. Now I can group my components and listen without delay. Music fills the house. Truly "world radio" has entered my domain.
The sound coming out of my surround sound system in the living room is not in sync with the sonos speakers i have dotted around the house. This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled When i play my music with Connect it seems to be out of sync with the other Sonos speakers i have around the house..
I had this problem too. lag between connect plugged in to my yamaha AV receiver and play 5. Even with direct/pure (no processing) audio there was a noticeable lag and delay when the connect was plugged in through optical audio, but when i switched it to RCA red and white connection... the lag was no longer noticeable FYI

However, I still think this is a very important issue for Sonos to address... there should be a option to put in delay to certain selected zones.
I´ve hade the same issues with a Yamaha receiver. I found a thread stating that the delay is particularly bad with Yamaha receivers. Based on that, I tested with an Onkyo receiver (I think the 727). My impression is that there was less delay with the Onkyo and that that at least solved my problem. 
Yes, it pretty much stinks... Using the composite audio is good info too; I didn't know that (I currently use optical). In desparation, I did the following experiment. I also have a connect:amp here. Now, whether I am imagining it or not, using the connect amp as my main source, and then 'grouping in' the connect (hooked to receiver), [seems] to have eliminated, or at least reduced the delay to a point that is not noticeable. I'm not sure why, but perhaps not having to go through my receiver's processor first makes a difference? Ideas?
Interesting, I will try that as well. Right now I'm working on finding a receiver that adds as little as possible to the problem. Onkyo worked better than Yamaha and today I'm testing pioneer 1223.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Adjust Sound Lag?. I have a Play:5 which is connected to my Sonos network via wi-fi - but if i group this with my Connect (which plays through the home cinema also via wi-fi) there is a slight lag. Is there anyway i can adjust either device to deliver perfect timing between them?
Userlevel 2
I'm not having any problems anymore.  I've got my Play  5 and my Connect on a Yamaha receiver grouped, and there's no lag.   I was unplugging them between uses (to power down) and having to reconnect, but now that everything works, I leave them plugged in like I'm supposed to. 😉  
I also had a delay with my Sonos connect 120 with Yamaha receiver compared to the Sonos Play 3/5 speakers. I solved this to change for the connect from optical output to line (analog) output on Sonos side and using 'Pure direct'  on Yamaha side (no processing at all). But I would prefer to have this solved by Sonos, e.g. by adding an advanced setting for enabling a delay on the Play 1/3/5 speakers.
Adding a software delay right before the D to A conversion shouldn't be hard.
Userlevel 1
I also had a delay with my Sonos connect 120 with Yamaha receiver compared to the Sonos Play 3/5 speakers. I solved this to change for the connect from optical output to line (analog) output on Sonos side and using 'Pure direct'  on Yamaha side (no processing at all). But I would prefer to have this solved by Sonos, e.g. by adding an advanced setting for enabling a delay on the Play 1/3/5 speakers.

Yep, yep, and yep. Had the same problem, solved it using the same solution (pure direct and analog), but I would also request that Sonos add a delay feature (either manually, or using their phone apps to calibrate the speakers).
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have this same problem with an Onkyo receiver. Pure or Direct plus analog input works, but then I can't use any of the EQ settings, the subwoofer or surround speakers. And I can'[t get digital sound. An adjustable delay for Connect receivers is a greatly needed feature.
I have this same problem with an Onkyo receiver. Pure or Direct plus analog input works, but then I can't use any of the EQ settings, the subwoofer or surround speakers. And I can'[t get digital sound. An adjustable delay for Connect receivers is a greatly needed feature.

Eh? Your receiver is already delaying the signal, why do you want to delay it more? Not sure why you'd want to use surround modes with stereo music as well but you could wire the sub to the front speakers if the sub has a high level input, then you wouldn't need the processing.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I want to be able to take full advantage of the features of my receiver. In direct or pure mode I can't even adjust bass and treble, so the sound is thin and flat. I'm not going to rewire my entire system just for sonos.

The delay would go in the opposite direction (meaning the sonos speakers, which are in sync, would be delayed in comparison to the connect) . Adding a simple way to adjust the delay and sync them up would fix this problem for everyone and seems to be a common and logical request.
I can simply say that I agree with everyone in this thread. It is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING that Sonos cannot solve this problem! As many people have suggested, the general and logical solution to the problem is to allow the user to add a custom delay to the PLAY:1/3/5 and thereby sync the sound. I could live with the analog connection between CONNECT and Receiver (although the DA converter of my Receiver is FAR superior to the DA converter in the CONNECT!) but playing in Pure Direct on the receiver is unacceptable.
A unique selling point of Sonos is to be able to play in Party Mode. We have always used Party Mode in our five zones but after getting a more modern Receiver (which adds more delay) a couple of years back, we now have to switch off the Living Room zone, which is actually where the party is going on and where you want the music the most!! I have actually gone from recommending Sonos to many of my friends to now advising them to find another solution! That is so crazy!
Does anybody know if any of the other streaming systems (HEOS by Denon, Bluesound, ...) have a solution to this issue? My Receiver is a top-end Denon, so switching to HEOS seems like the right thing to do... Any observations, anyone??
Finally, as I mentioned above, a firmware update allowing a custom delay on the PLAY:1/3/5 seems like the right solution. If Sonos reads this tread, would it be too much to ask to get some kind of input from them? For example, is it technically possible for Sonos to make this solution? Is it something that is prioritized (clearly not, but anyway...)? Any timeline?
PLEASE SONOS, LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS! (I have had Sonos since 2007!!!!)
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have 2 AV receivers, a high end Onkyo and an older, mid-level Denon. I bought a Connect for each receiver, no small investment. The Onkyo is in my living room and will not play in sync with my Sonos speakers unless I use the analog connections in direct/pure mode, and the sound is thin and lifeless. The sound on the Onkyo using manual EQ settings is great, but even that causes a delay. The Denon is in my bedroom and will play in sync using manual EQ and Audyssey modes in stereo.

I read up on Heos and it sounds like it has the same issue.

This is my biggest issue with Sonos right now, I really wish they would address it.
Yet another one with this problem. I have the Sonos connect connected to my Marantz SR7009 and kick-ass sound system but I get a delay (off sync with my Sonos speakers) if I play on antything else than pure direct mode (which isn't good enough for me). Pleeeeeease introduce a lag compensation feature!
Same problem here.
Sonos Connect via optical link to Micromega DAC connected to Unico Secundo high end amp is off sync with my PLAY 1 speaker in my kitchen.
I think most audiophile Sonos users will have this problem. The quality of the Micromega DAC is of a much higher level than Sonos DAC in the Connect. So I can not directly connect the Connect to the Unico Secundo amp.

There need to come a delay function in the Sonos system or a lot of audiophile users will not choose for Sonos.
The quality of the Micromega DAC is of a much higher level than Sonos DAC in the Connect. So I can not directly connect the Connect to the Unico Secundo amp.

I don't agree and no one has yet established in a level matched blind test that the Connect DAC is audibly not equal to any other DAC in the world.
So, two points: this thread refers to delays caused by using AVRs, delays that are caused by DSP in the AVRs, and that can be defeated by bypassing this DSP by using the source direct option. It has nothing to do with DAC sound quality.

I also haven't heard of anyone using an external DAC with the Connect complain of sync delays caused by doing so - does your Micromega have filters to process the sound? If yes, these may be causing similar delays.

One way to avoid these delays is to not use these filters if that option exists on the DAC. The other is to wire the analog outputs on the Connect to the Unico. All you will lose is the sound shaping options that may exist on the Micromega DAC, but these are also causing your sync issues. Choose the lesser evil:-).
The quality of the Micromega DAC is of a much higher level than Sonos DAC in the Connect. So I can not directly connect the Connect to the Unico Secundo amp.

I don't agree and no one has yet established in a level matched blind test that the Connect DAC is audibly not equal to any other DAC in the world.

Strange; my wife and kids can even hear the difference
Userlevel 1
I am having same issue once I used an optical audio cable the delay began. Using analog was unacceptable sound quality and only used front speakers.
I have the latest Yamaha 11.2 channel receiver and always thought Sonos could play through all 11 speakers, which it can, just don't turn on the zone in the kitchen or the audio is out of synch.
I am not an audio guru but I must say this is incredibly remedial on the part of the audio companies.
We spend thousands of dollars on equipment and they can not figure out a solution besides run your receiver in Pure or direct mode, which sounds like crap. I have a big room and want to fill the area with music.
If I use the Musiccast built into the Yamaha the music sounds best but that, as you know, doesn't help me.

Disappointing and I will be discussing with my audio tech about a solution or returning the 2 Sonos players I just purchased as it renders them useless if they can't be played together.

Strange; my wife and kids can even hear the difference

In a instrument level matched blind test, and with any digital filters that the DAC may have, set to flat? Even makers of DACs that cost USD 10K and above haven't been able to produce such a result in support of their extravagant sound quality claims in any of their promotions.

Without that precise level matching, the inevitable output signal level voltage differences leave the "louder at the same volume control setting on the amp" source to be louder, and even where this is as little as 0.2dB louder, sounding better to the ears. The cure is simple, boost the volume control on the amp a little when the Connect DAC is in use, and differences disappear. If you want them to.
returning the 2 Sonos players I just purchased as it renders them useless if they can't be played together.
They can't be; and I don't know of any that will in the way you want them to. If you do find any, others here will appreciate details for sure, because this issue comes up over and over.