Audio cutting out randomly

Badge
My audio keeps cutting out, mainly on my play:1 but sometimes on the one as well, its not the source I do not think because one will keep playing when the other stops and this is using both radio and Spotify. Both speakers are connected physically to network not via wireless. Diagnostics submitted: 1980504266. Can someone have a look at the diagnostics please? Not sure what other details you might need. Thanks.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
danie1d wrote:

My audio keeps cutting out, mainly on my play:1 but sometimes on the one as well, its not the source I do not think because one will keep playing when the other stops and this is using both radio and Spotify. Both speakers are connected physically to network not via wireless. Diagnostics submitted: 1980504266. Can someone have a look at the diagnostics please? Not sure what other details you might need. Thanks.

HI there,

Welcome to the community. There are occasional DNS lookup errors when your system is trying to connect to services. Usually rebooting your router and each Sonos speaker by removing them from power for ten seconds or so clears up issues like these. Please try that, than send along a new report if any issues continue.
Badge
I reset the speakers and still having issues. I just submitted another diagnostic. 515036077.
Does Sonos use my default DNS or have own sonos preferred?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
danie1d wrote:

I reset the speakers and still having issues. I just submitted another diagnostic. 515036077.
Does Sonos use my default DNS or have own sonos preferred?

Your router allocates the IP addresses to the network devices. You may be able to allocate fixed IP addresses to each of your Sonos units in your router which would possibly help if you are occasionally seeing duplicate IP issues

As for the re-boot exercise I'd suggest you turn off router, Sonos and EVERY device connected to the network (IE computers, phones, tablets and so on). Then switch router on, let it connect., then Bridge or Boost if you have them, let that connect. Then the Sonos gear and after that all your other devices
Badge
Thanks for the advice, but maybe I'm missing something here. I don't know if I'm getting duplicate IP Issues, how would you ascertain that was the issue? That isn't something I'm seeing across any other devices either. I can statically assign if that was going to help but not sure that's the issue. I have the two Sonos in one room and basically one or the other will just stop for a few seconds - 5-10 seconds max probably, but thats it. Its not long dropouts like they are being kicked off the network or having to re-request an IP address - which is DHCP not DNS as mentioned before. Just wondering what I've missed, how do I get someone to look at the diagnostics or what sort of information does that provide?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You can either phone Sonos, try Twitter or Facebook. Else wait for a Sonos rep to visit this thread.

As to being able to see that you may have a duplicate IP - you can't. That's the point. But the symptoms of tis include the problems you are having. However, a re-boot as I described will resolve that. Some people seem to get issues following updates which is likely because an update of firmware leads to speakers re-starting and at that point if there is some ms-communication with the router there may be duplicate IP addresses. In this case assigning of static addresses will stop tis happening in future.
Badge
Thanks - that's why I posted it here.

If it was an IP address issue I'd expect Sonos to take a bit longer to communicate to the DHCP server request an IP, get an IP and change IP address - longer than my issues are lasting sometimes.

You should have a DHCP log which would show requests and responses for a device so you can see duplicate problems that way, as well as the fact that a standard home network has potential for well over 200 IP addresses, no DHCP should be posting duplicates and will keep you on a preferred IP anyway. Just saying... :)
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have spent many hours trying to find the IP problem, my pfSense DHCP server has excellent logging ability but has never shown a problem.

I gave up on finding out what was going wrong, set the static/reserved addresses for my Sonos gear and quit worrying/fighting the issue.
Badge
@stanley_4 was that causing short drop outs?
Badge
Would be really good to know if IP is the issue, how do I get someone to review the diagnostics? or does anyone know what the diagnostics includes, does it help diagnose issues at all?
Badge
statically assigned and rebooted everything - still happening.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
If your issue is with Spotify click the link and review the banner at top of page: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support
Badge
happens on spotify, but also radio as well through various sources. Its not one source that is the issue. Thank you for the input though. Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Even though you have set static IP's have you tried the following in the order shown:

1. Unplug all Sonos and other Wi-Fi and Wired clients?
2. Updated the firmware/software of your router and reboot?
3. Deleted the Sonos app and those of the music services and re-installed them?
4. Plug -in Sonos one by one?
5. Plug-in other clients one by one?
Badge
I've not deleted the sonos app and music services, not sure what that is going to do - is that really necessary?
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
danie1d wrote:

I've not deleted the sonos app and music services, not sure what that is going to do - is that really necessary?

Sometimes the app or apps aren't being refreshed in the background (or refresh fails) and the process to delete and reinstall may make a difference. Not guaranteed but it's another trouble shooting measure. It's your decision.:8
Badge
Thanks - I know what you mean, but it puts the focus on the user not the hardware/software provider. I'd like to have some feedback from Sonos.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Understood. Resubmit your diagnostic and call Sonos. Waiting for a reply via this forum may take awhile.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings