Answered

audio cutting out for 3-5 seconds then comes back on

I have two connect amps, one play three, a play one, and a play bar.  My issue is everything plays fine but it’s random bit every now and then the audio cuts out for 3-5 seconds.  My two connect amps are hardwired while everything else is wireless.  I also have a bridge, I could install if you think that wld help the issue and I have sent in a diagnostic which my case id is 141763792.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m bit 100% certain but when I just had my connect amps I didn’t notice it happening until after adding all the other speakers. Thanks again. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 15 July 2022, 10:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

It’s not clear what audio source you are using - is it locally stored tracks or audio from an online streaming service? Is this happening when playing to a single room, or just to grouped rooms?

The (now) old Sonos Bridge is the first thing that came to mind for me, as the power supply for that device has been reported as experiencing small voltage fluctuations due to age and that can sometimes cause these type of issues. I would perhaps try powering off the Bridge and wire one of your other Sonos devices in its place and see if that resolves the issue. If it does, you may find a replacement power supply for the Bridge on Amazon, or other similar online sites, or you could perhaps replace the Bridge with a Sonos Boost. 

Anyhow see if wiring another device in place of the Bridge first resolves your issue.

I am using Amazon music, and Spotify.  And I apologize I meant I have a bridge that I could install if you think that would help.  I am not using it at the moment.  I typically have everything grouped together and have noticed it on the it is that are wireless and the two connect amps that are hardwired.  

I am using Amazon music, and Spotify.  And I apologize I meant I have a bridge that I could install if you think that would help.  I am not using it at the moment.  I typically have everything grouped together and have noticed it on the it is that are wireless and the two connect amps that are hardwired.  

That’s my mistake about thinking you had the Bridge installed already - Anyhow, you could perhaps just try temporarily wiring one device to your router (I would just wire the Play:1 just as an initial test).. but ideally there are a few things to also do if you do decide to try that…

• Ensure that the Play:1 is set no-less-than 1 metre away from the wired router.
  • Remove the current wireless network from the Sonos App. See this link: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3488
  • Set the SonosNet channel at least 5 channels away from your (hopefully fixed) 2.4Ghz router channel. So if your router is set to channel 6, then set the SonosNet channel to either 1 or 11, just as an example.

See how that works out for you as a test …and if it works well, you could then perhaps try the Bridge in place of the Play:1 with the same settings mentioned.

If you do decide to later return to wireless mode then don’t forget to add your local WiFi network back to the App as outlined here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209

Hope that assists to sort the issue.

I do have both of my connect amps wired to my router.  Do you still think I should try the play one as well?

I do have both of my connect amps wired to my router.  Do you still think I should try the play one as well?

No, in that case, nor will the Bridge likely make any difference either, but you might want to perhaps check the other points I have mentioned in my previous post. The type of wired device is somewhat less important that the additional points suggested.

Ok, I will check the routers channel when I get home.  If it is not a fixed channel how would I go abt doing that?

Ok, I will check the routers channel when I get home.  If it is not a fixed channel how would I go abt doing that?

Goto the 2.4Ghz WiFi adapter settings in the routers configuration pages, via a web browser, (or use the router App, if applicable) and switch the channel from its ‘auto’ setting (usually) to either channel 1, 6 or 11. See this support page for some guidance too… https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4769

My router was set to channel one and the sonosnet was on channel six.  I guess I may have to try and rub hard lines to each device or maybe extend my wireless network?

My router was set to channel one and the sonosnet was on channel six.  I guess I may have to try and rub hard lines to each device or maybe extend my wireless network?

It might be something nearby that’s interfering - maybe ensure the ‘wired’ Sonos device is well away from the router, for example ..and if it’s interference from maybe a neighbours WiFi network, you could try the SonosNet channel on 11 instead.

I did change the Sonosnet and noticed that the wireless speakers were no longer connected and I had to re set them up 

I did change the Sonosnet and noticed that the wireless speakers were no longer connected and I had to re set them up 

Don’t know why that would happen I change mine from time to time, to avoid the neighbours changing router?

See this link too: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219

Do you think adding a AP closer to the wireless speakers may help?

No, since one or more of your units is wired, SONOS is using SonosNet and ignoring WiFi. Make sure that your router is using 20MHz channels in the 2.4GHz band. You likely have interference in the 2.4GHz band. This will show in the diagnostics. When you Group Rooms, the first Room is the Group ‘Coordinator’. All of the Group network traffic it handled by the Coordinator. If the Coordinator is buried in interference, the Group will suffer. Building the Group in a different order can be helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Audiogiy 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Your “Pool” Connect:AMP is reporting a faulty ethernet cable. I’m not sure if this is the cable going to the router, or the cable going to the other Connect:AMP, but as “Patio” is supplying SonosNet, either cable being faulty would be a major issue. If you have the spares, it might be easiest just to replace both cables.

There is no grouping shown in the diagnostic, but @buzz made an important point - the choice of which room is in charge can be important. If they are included in any group, put a wired Connect:AMP in charge of the group by selecting it first and adding the others to it. Only put a wireless room in charge if no wired rooms are involved in the group.

Also, your Playbar is reporting some interference - if you can, please keep it isolated by 1m from other WiFi devices.

I hope this helps.