Answered

Atmos and SonosNet Issue

• 16 September 2021
  • 7 replies

This could get long so apologies in advance. This has been a game of dominoes/whack-a-mole and I’m not sure what to do next….

• Upgraded my wifi system to ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8). Had immediate issues with the majority of my Sonos speakers no longer available. Only the Arc (+surrounds+sub) and one other remain. Found the Community articles Downgraded the ASUS firmware to 25790. Sonos speakers showed up! But Internet speeds went from consistent 400Mbps to intermittent 1-5Mbps.
  • Reverted router to latest firmware. Internet works. Sonos speakers gone again.
  • Plugged Arc ethernet port directly into router to form SonosNet. All the speakers are back! Atmos no longer working, showing Stereo PCM.
  • Unplug Arc ethernet cable, back on wifi, Atmos back! Other speakers gone.
  • Move another speaker to plug into router, Speakers are back! Atmos is gone again.

At this point I’m kind of at a loss as to how to get Atmos to work with my setup. Any suggestions or personal experience would be apprecaited.

icon

Best answer by Nostomeetyou 16 September 2021, 22:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

I would keep the Arc wired to the router and troubleshoot why you are unable to get Dolby Atmos audio.

What TV are you using? What specific Dolby Atmos content are you testing?

Are you doing anything in configuration when you plug/unplug the ethernet cable? Shouldn’t be anything, but wondering if you’re doing something that’s killing atmos without you realizing it.

I would keep the Arc wired to the router and troubleshoot why you are unable to get Dolby Atmos audio.

What TV are you using? What specific Dolby Atmos content are you testing?

TCL 75R635. Arc connected via eARC HDMI. No issues with Atmos in the past.

Using a Dolby Atmos test tones file AirPlayed from Mac to AppleTV via Quicktime that has worked in the past, as well as various Disney+ content that has also worked. Latest test was Star Wars VII on Disney+ that showed Stereo PCM while Arc was connected to ethernet. Paused the movie, disconnected ethernet, let the remaining Sonos speakers converge on Wifi, unpaused, showed Atmos.

Are you doing anything in configuration when you plug/unplug the ethernet cable? Shouldn’t be anything, but wondering if you’re doing something that’s killing atmos without you realizing it.

Not that I’m aware of, at this point I’ve narrowed it down to SonosNet = Stereo PCM and WiFi = Atmos. Which doesn’t make sense.

I even tried plugging a Play:1 into the other ASUS node in the basement and got the same result with the TV setup.

Userlevel 7

Are you using the Disney+ app on the Apple TV or the native Disney+ app on the TCL? After you switch to SonosNet, have you tried unplugging the TV and Apple TV from power for a couple of minutes and testing Atmos content again?

Are you using the Disney+ app on the Apple TV or the native Disney+ app on the TCL? After you switch to SonosNet, have you tried unplugging the TV and Apple TV from power for a couple of minutes and testing Atmos content again?

Disney+ on AppleTV.

I have not tried unplugging TV/AppleTV but will give that a shot.

Well, I guess I can mark this issue closed. Unfortunately I have no idea what fixed it.

I disconnected the Play:1 from one ASUS node and reconnected the Arc to the other ASUS node, walked away for a few minutes and when I tested again, Atmos was working.

Thanks for all the advice along the way.