ASUS Router firmware update 2020/11/26

• 3 December 2020
  • 71 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I just want to inform others that the latest firmware for ASUS RT-AX58U, released on the 26th of
November, will make the Sonos speakers stop working (Confirmed on Play:1 and Play3).

I have tried to factory reset the speakers and reconfigure them but without success.
I don’t exactly know what is causing this, but a roll back to previous firmware resolved the issue. 

71 replies

Confirm the same issue with an ASUS RT AX86U, Play3 and Play1. Oddly, the Move unit was not affected. Same symptoms after updating the firmware in early January, each Play unit would drop in and out. Rebooting either the router or the Play would bring it back for a little bit, then it would drop out again. 

Rolling back the firmware (using Method 2 from this page: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000/) from Version:3.0.0.4.386.41535 back to Version 3.0.0.4.384_9318 solved the issue. 

I submitted a help request via e.mail to ASUS, and pointed them to this page. I’d encourage anyone else with this issue to do the same, to raise awareness.

Thank you @flat3ric for sharing this information!

I’ve had problems over the last 2 weeks since updating my ASUS RT-AX58U to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10177. No matter what changes I made to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz setings, it wouldn’t allow my Sonos system to remain connected. Somehow it only affected my Beam+Sub+Surround setup and not my standalone Sonos One.

Once I reverted to the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9918, all the problems went away!

For other ASUS users, you can manually download the firmware versions for RT-AX58U here: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System/AiMesh-WiFi-Routers-and-Systems/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Userlevel 1
Badge

Frankly I think you should return the router while you can. Asus have illustrated an inability to fix their products that does not inspire any confidence.

Thanks for the candid answer. What router or mesh system would you recommend that supports wifi 6 and be fully compatible with Sonos?

I use AmpliFi devices in my homes which run a total of four Sonos households. I believe their latest model supports WiFi 6 but that’s not something I need myself.

Thanks for your answer. On second thought, a mesh wifi would definitely be overkill for our current home. I am giving the Archer AX50 router a try. It is arriving tomorrow. I will report back here for the community. If all good, I will return the Asus router.

As promised, here’s a follow-up to my situation.

I received the TP-Link Archer AX50 today. After initial set up and firmware upgrade to the latest version, all my Sonos speakers are working flawlessly. My Wifi speeds may actually be a bit faster than with the Asus router as well so that’s pretty cool. I am returning Asus to Best Buy tomorrow.

Sounds awesome. Looks like they have the latest hardware, or at least Gen2. My Gen2 speakers can work fine with the latest router. But my Gen1 Sonos One can’t. Maybe time for a trade-in/upgrade:)

Hi!

Ok, tnx, then I bettet not update firmware now

In some strange way it started work on 3.0.0.4.386_41700. Dont know exact what made it work and if its temporary, but 1,5 day uptime now😊. I had planned to downgrade but family members looking on netflix on eth connected device. So started fiddling with wifi settings i hadnt touched before. I did a toggle enable(default) ->disable->enable on IGMP Snooping. Wlan will restart when changing that param. Did one other thing as well, i was at windows pc and started Sonos program. It connected to my sonos but promoted for sw update. Failed 3 times with error 1001, but finally succeded  (fw 12.2.2 build61183220) Since then my Sonos symfonisk has been connected and i can stream as normal. 

Got reply from asus suppport, they recommended to first try router factory reset after firmware upgrade (i did not try)  or otherwise downgrade to older firmware. 

I had the same problems. Going back on the firmware seems to have fixed it.…

Thanks!

I had the same issue with my sonos and Asus ZenWifi AX.

To fix the issue I did a factory reset, turned off the 2 extra nodes, reset up the main router then added the two extra nodes one at a time. 

5 days no issues. 

It actually still does… on the  ax58u (2x) and 12 sonos/ikea devices.

Xirtam

Have you contacted Asus to find out why almost every other manufacturer out there isn’t having the same issue as Asus with Sonos?

I installed 386_43406 today. It seems fine. 

Greetings Xirtam2K

Badge

As of 4/29/21, there is a new version 3.0.0.4.386.42840 (at least for the RT-AX86U). Has anyone tried it?

My current version (which I think is the last confirmed working one) is 3.0.0.4.384_9318 and is now several updates behind...

I can confirm the solution above works. 

But you have to do the factory reset!

Maurits

Have you contacted Asus to find out why almost every other manufacturer out there isn’t having the same issue as Asus with Sonos?

Yes I did. Here was the response:

I understand that your Sonos Play 1 cannot connect to the router after the firmware update. I know how important it is for you to fix the issue and I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Let me help you resolve this problem.

I appreciate your time and effort in troubleshooting the issue. Based on the issue you described, please perform the troubleshooting steps as follows.

A. May disable the smart connect feature for selected models (GT-AC5300, RT-AC5300, RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U, RT-AC3200) 

B. 2.4GHz connection issues: 
1. Change wireless mode to 'Legacy' (Wireless -> General -> Band = 2.4GHz) 
2. Change channel bandwidth to '40 MHz' (Wireless -> General -> Band = 2.4GHz) 
3. Change control channel to 1, 6, or 11 (Wireless -> General -> Band = 2.4GHz) (l = lower band, u = upper band) 
4. Wireless -> Professional -> 2.4GHz -> disable Explicit beamforming and Universal Beamforming 

C. 5GHz connection issues: 
1. Wireless -> General -> 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2 -> Select 'Legacy', 'N only' or 'N/AC mixed' in Wireless Mode 
2. Change channel bandwidth to '40 MHz' (Wireless -> General -> Band = 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2) 
3. Wireless -> Professional -> 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2 -> disable Explicit beamforming and Universal Beamforming 

D. Please downgrade to previous firmware version to check if the same problems still persist.

Then disable Airtime Fairness for both 2,4 and 5 GHz again, apply to restart the router.

If the issue persists, please fill out the feedback form that I have attached in this email for us to be able to replicate and diagnose what is causing this issue for us to come up with a resolution on how we can get this issue resolved.

The files like system log, wireless log and configuration file will help us in replicating the issue with your router. 
To get the setting file: 
step1. login router go to Administration->System->Change the router login name to ... then proceed to step 2. 
step2. Administration -> Restore/Save/Upload setting, and you will find the 【save setting】 
step3. click button【save】 

And provide to us the CGF file that will be saved. 

To get the system log 
step1. login router 
step2. System Log -> General log, you will find【save】button here 
step3. click button【save】

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Frankly I think you should return the router while you can. Asus have illustrated an inability to fix their products that does not inspire any confidence.

Thanks for the candid answer. What router or mesh system would you recommend that supports wifi 6 and be fully compatible with Sonos?

I use AmpliFi devices in my homes which run a total of four Sonos households. I believe their latest model supports WiFi 6 but that’s not something I need myself.

I’m having the same issue with an ASUS RT-AX58U router. I made the changes that Colin suggested above and still have issues. I’ve also been on the phone with Sonos and ASUS. Ready to throw this router in the bush. 

Userlevel 1

Checking back to this thread over a year since I started it and am amazed over how many that have had the same issue, some people seem to have resolved it and some not.

Anyhow, I decided to give it a new try with latest firmware, installed it and hoping for the best. But it didn’t took long before the the disappointment, the Sonos deviced immediately dropped out from the network.

I tried the different tricks with Airtime, IGMP and roaming settings mentioned in this thread. but all without success. 

Don’t know why, but this time I decided to do a factory reset on the Asus router instead of the Sonos speakers and wow that resolved the issue!!  The Sonos speakers are back and still working, it also seems to have resolved an issue with my XBOX where I previously couldn’t get download speeds over 20Mbps, now I have 200+. 

I couldn’t see any settings to be different from before. 

Thanks. I’m using RT-AX58U. Do you have older Sonos hardware speakers or are they the latest hardware versions? Before I reverted my firmware, I followed your recommended settings as well.

I’m running an Arc, a Sub 3 & 2 x IKEA sonos book speakers at the rear. They are all at the latest firmware from Sonos. Everything needed a reboot after changing the settings, but it’s all been good since 

Hello guys,

FYI, I had the same issue with latest Asus Firmware (3.0.0.4.386_41793-gdb31cdc) on my ZenWifi XT8. I tried to downgrade my XT8 to previous version but I lost internet connectivity for some reasons (the router was connected and had access to internet but not the clients). So I went back to 3.0.0.4.386_41793-gdb31cdc and restored internet connectivity instantly.

I think I fixed my Sonos issue by removing all the Sonos products from the DHCP reserved addresses. I can now play Spotify music.

Hope it helps

EDIT : I’m using Smart Connect and it works anyways

There’s also a beta version out for the AX58U (9.0.0.4.386.41994), did anyone try it?

As of 4/29/21, there is a new version 3.0.0.4.386.42840 (at least for the RT-AX86U). Has anyone tried it?

My current version (which I think is the last confirmed working one) is 3.0.0.4.384_9318 and is now several updates behind...

I’m in the same situation and wondering the same thing.  Or does anyone know what improvements there are in the latest firmware?  For now, I’m taking the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” approach by not updating. 

I thought it may help to show my settings. My Sonos is on the 2.4ghz network

Make sure you reboot the router last! That is important 

It seems it only affects devices that use wireless g mode. Newer Sonos use N mode is working fine. 

Update: I updated to the beta firmware 9.0.0.4.386.41994 on my Asus RT-AX86U router after speaking to somebody at Asus. They told me the following, after I explained the Sonos issue:

We are sorry to hear, that your Sonos system does not work properly after updating to the Firmware version:3.0.0.4.386_41535 on your RT-AX86U router. 
According to the information you sent us, it seems to be a Software issue. Therefore you should update the Firmware to the latest Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 from 2021/01/29. This should fix the problem with Sonos. 
You will find the Firmware under the following link: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/RT-AX86U/HelpDesk_Download/

After updating the router firmware, I factory reset all of my Sonos speakers (again) and managed to set them up properly. Previously, I managed to do one but then all others would fail. I’ve only had it up and running for a couple of hours so your mileage may vary but I wanted to share anyway.

Hopefully they’ll push a proper release of the firmware soon so you don’t need to mess around with betas.