ASUS Router firmware update 2020/11/26

• 3 December 2020
  • 71 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I just want to inform others that the latest firmware for ASUS RT-AX58U, released on the 26th of
November, will make the Sonos speakers stop working (Confirmed on Play:1 and Play3).

I have tried to factory reset the speakers and reconfigure them but without success.
I don’t exactly know what is causing this, but a roll back to previous firmware resolved the issue. 

71 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @flat3ric.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

We appreciate your time and effort in sharing with us this information.

It can certainly benefit those members that might encounter the same scenario.

I’ll go ahead and pass this along with the team, and it might be best to let the manufacturer know about this as well.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

I had the same problems. Going back on the firmware seems to have fixed it.…

Thanks!

I am also having issues with ASUS RT-AC68U router not recognizing Sonos Connect Amps correctly all the time (not displaying on the network map when I log into the router). They are wired directly to the router. Similarly my wife and i do not see all of the systems on our phones or will see different systems each time.  I have disabled Airtime Fairness which is the Sonos advised fix for this router. I have read that putting the ConnectAmps on a switch before the router may help and will try.

However in case that does not work...is there a known prior firmware that may work (currently have 3.0.0.4.386_40558. Thanks for any help.

Thank you @flat3ric for sharing this information!

I’ve had problems over the last 2 weeks since updating my ASUS RT-AX58U to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10177. No matter what changes I made to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz setings, it wouldn’t allow my Sonos system to remain connected. Somehow it only affected my Beam+Sub+Surround setup and not my standalone Sonos One.

Once I reverted to the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9918, all the problems went away!

For other ASUS users, you can manually download the firmware versions for RT-AX58U here: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System/AiMesh-WiFi-Routers-and-Systems/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Badge

I’ve had problems over the last 2 weeks since updating my ASUS RT-AX58U to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10177. No matter what changes I made to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz setings, it wouldn’t allow my Sonos system to remain connected. Somehow it only affected my Beam+Sub+Surround setup and not my standalone Sonos One.

Once I reverted to the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9918, all the problems went away!

For other ASUS users, you can manually download the firmware versions for RT-AX58U here: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System/AiMesh-WiFi-Routers-and-Systems/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Will this work on a macbook?

Badge +1

For the last week or so, my Sonos Arc has been disconnecting from the Sonos app and Google Assistant on it says it can’t reach the internet. On the router it does show as connected tho.

I turn off the Arc (unplug it), then I turn it back on and it works for half a day or a day, then I get the same issue. 

My Ikea Symfonisk seems to be connected, though I remember one day it disappeared from the app as well.

Never thought it would be from ASUS RT-AX58U, I can see it was actually updated 4 days ago to 3.0.0.4.384_10177-g33723e4

Yes, it’s done through the web so it works on any OS. I did mine on my MacBook as well.

Badge

Yes, it’s done through the web so it works on any OS. I did mine on my MacBook as well.

Thanks, looks like it worked.

How long before we can expect an update that don't f*** up Sonos-speakers..?

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.

biggest problem is completely of the lack of static
IP address / mac-address assignment via sonos own application this must be set via router using ASUS RT-AC51C myself and had a lot of problems with these sonos one gen2

everything from a unsuccessful firmware update to the fact that it is no longer possible to disconnect stereo pairs from each other and as an IT nerd, these are various problems that require action from sonos, which has been going on for a very long time.

regarding the problem with the Asus router firmware update report this problem directly to ASUS make your reporting as detailed as possible for a good solution to this problem

for this problem, sonos will not fix

Asus will probably come out with a new firmware update for your router that will solve the problem

Badge

@dmcd  I am using ac68u as well running 3.0.0.4.385_20633

No issue so far with beam, sub 2nd gen, 2 x play:1 and 2 x symfonisk bookshelf, I guess I would to stop updating the firmware until Asus fixed it thanks all for sharing 

Hi, I just want to inform others that the latest firmware for ASUS RT-AX58U, released on the 26th of
November, will make the Sonos speakers stop working (Confirmed on Play:1 and Play3).

I have tried to factory reset the speakers and reconfigure them but without success.
I don’t exactly know what is causing this, but a roll back to previous firmware resolved the issue. 

This 100% Solved my issue!!!!

Confirm the same issue with an ASUS RT AX86U, Play3 and Play1. Oddly, the Move unit was not affected. Same symptoms after updating the firmware in early January, each Play unit would drop in and out. Rebooting either the router or the Play would bring it back for a little bit, then it would drop out again. 

Rolling back the firmware (using Method 2 from this page: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000/) from Version:3.0.0.4.386.41535 back to Version 3.0.0.4.384_9318 solved the issue. 

I submitted a help request via e.mail to ASUS, and pointed them to this page. I’d encourage anyone else with this issue to do the same, to raise awareness.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @bthart.

Thanks for sharing with us this workaround that you did.

Hopefully, this will also help those who are experiencing the same situation.

If you may have questions or run into any issues,  please let us know.

You are always welcome here in the community.

Cheers!

Badge

Same issue here with 3.0.0.4.386_41535; in my case my iOS and Mac controller apps can no longer access the system at all after updating the firmware on the RT-AX86U.

I did notice, interestingly and perhaps related, that the Sonos speakers are all now marked as having static IP addresses in the Asus configuration page (Network Map → View Client List); I did not set this up myself and there is no indication in the DHCP settings page that the Sonos speaker MAC addresses have reserved IPs….I only noticed this post-firmware update, so not sure if it was this way all along, but for whatever reason it appears that Asus is recognizing Sonos speaker devices, and Sonos devices only, and singling them out for static IPs. This actually seems kind of nice (since others post that having static IPs helps with Sonos stability), except for the...you know...unable to use the speakers part...

I’m also having this frustrating issue with the RT-AX86U and 3.0.0.4.386_41535 firmware. While it seems to be an issue with the router firmware, the Sonos app should do a way better job in handling errors when pairing. Right now, I’m stuck in a cycle of the app telling me there are devices, offering to set them up, only to then tell me there are no devices on the network, despite the fact that it shows all my devices right there at the top of that screen. At least surface some kind of error code that can be passed to support, even if it means nothing to consumers.

Fingers crossed there’s a firmware update for the router soon.

Edit: I’ve also sent ASUS support an email and contacted them on Twitter.

The latest ASUS ZenWiFi Router firmware update (Version 3.0.0.4.386.26044) also causes the Beam to flake out. Rolling the update back fixes the problem.

Hello!

Have someone test the new firmware for AX58u?

2021/01/26:   3.0.0.4.386.41700

Confirm the same issue with an ASUS RT AX86U, Play3 and Play1. Oddly, the Move unit was not affected. Same symptoms after updating the firmware in early January, each Play unit would drop in and out. Rebooting either the router or the Play would bring it back for a little bit, then it would drop out again. 

Rolling back the firmware (using Method 2 from this page: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000/) from Version:3.0.0.4.386.41535 back to Version 3.0.0.4.384_9318 solved the issue. 

I submitted a help request via e.mail to ASUS, and pointed them to this page. I’d encourage anyone else with this issue to do the same, to raise awareness.

Thanks for this, I had the same problems with play 1, play 3 and playbar, roll back worked perfectly 

Hello!

Have someone test the new firmware for AX58u?

2021/01/26:   3.0.0.4.386.41700

Upgraded my ax58u to 3.0.0.4.386_41700. After that big problem with my SONOS symfonisk. Tried factory reset of speaker, disable smartdual band on router, reinstalling sonos app on mobile etc. I can get the speaker connected to 2.4 wifi and somtimes start one stream on spotify. But soon after its no longer possible to connect. 

Hi!

Ok, tnx, then I bettet not update firmware now

It seems it only affects devices that use wireless g mode. Newer Sonos use N mode is working fine. 

Hi!

Ok, tnx, then I bettet not update firmware now

In some strange way it started work on 3.0.0.4.386_41700. Dont know exact what made it work and if its temporary, but 1,5 day uptime now😊. I had planned to downgrade but family members looking on netflix on eth connected device. So started fiddling with wifi settings i hadnt touched before. I did a toggle enable(default) ->disable->enable on IGMP Snooping. Wlan will restart when changing that param. Did one other thing as well, i was at windows pc and started Sonos program. It connected to my sonos but promoted for sw update. Failed 3 times with error 1001, but finally succeded  (fw 12.2.2 build61183220) Since then my Sonos symfonisk has been connected and i can stream as normal. 

Got reply from asus suppport, they recommended to first try router factory reset after firmware upgrade (i did not try)  or otherwise downgrade to older firmware. 

Update: I updated to the beta firmware 9.0.0.4.386.41994 on my Asus RT-AX86U router after speaking to somebody at Asus. They told me the following, after I explained the Sonos issue:

We are sorry to hear, that your Sonos system does not work properly after updating to the Firmware version:3.0.0.4.386_41535 on your RT-AX86U router. 
According to the information you sent us, it seems to be a Software issue. Therefore you should update the Firmware to the latest Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 from 2021/01/29. This should fix the problem with Sonos. 
You will find the Firmware under the following link: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/RT-AX86U/HelpDesk_Download/

After updating the router firmware, I factory reset all of my Sonos speakers (again) and managed to set them up properly. Previously, I managed to do one but then all others would fail. I’ve only had it up and running for a couple of hours so your mileage may vary but I wanted to share anyway.

Hopefully they’ll push a proper release of the firmware soon so you don’t need to mess around with betas.

There’s also a beta version out for the AX58U (9.0.0.4.386.41994), did anyone try it?

Today i finally took the time to dive into this problem. I had the exact same problems as TS with my Sonos Beam and Asus RT-AX58U. Just as everybody did, i'd reset all stuff without any luck. Thanks to this topic i ended up with a working solution and i am happy to share it with the rest of you. Hopefully it helps!

What i did is manually upload the latest BETA release of the Asus RT-AX58U 9.0.0.4.386_41994 found here: https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

After update it wasn't working for 100%. It seemed little buggy, the golden tip here was from user @j_a_kjellberg:

So started fiddling with wifi settings i hadnt touched before. I did a toggle enable(default) ->disable->enable on IGMP Snooping.

I did this for 2.4GHz and the 5GHz band and after this change it all seems working as before the Asus update 3.0.0.4.386.41700 Just to confirm, i "toggled” the IGMP setting from enabled to disabled (causes a restart of the WLAN service) and than back from disabled to enabled for both bands.

Thanks all for the help!