Answered

Arris TG1682G New Router

• 29 October 2016
  • 3 replies

I have a new Router/Modem from Comcast (Arris TG1682G) that I can't connect to my Playbar. I've tried using the ethernet cable, reseting the Playbar and modem, but it doesn't connect. After several attempts to add the playbar I was actually able to add my Sub and two Play1, so I know Sonos is connecting to my wireless.

I did read that this router is not compatible and the solution states: "Wire only one Sonos player or BOOST to the router, or network switch that is connected to the router. Players can also be configured in a daisy chain of Ethernet wiring if necessary. Alternatively, you can setup your Sonos in a Standard Setup." I'm not exactly sure what this means or how to do this.
icon

Best answer by Kosmicman 31 October 2016, 01:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I take it your PLAYBAR/SUB/PLAY:1s worked okay with the previous router. Were they using its WiFi, or did you have a wired Sonos component back then? The notes in the incompatibility FAQ only apply to a Sonos system where multiple components are wired, using multiple router ports.

Here is general guidance about dealing with a replacement router: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1072. If you need to temporarily wire a component it should be the PLAYBAR.

You should also ensure that every single device on your network is rebooted -- not just Sonos -- to pick up fresh address information from the new router.

By the way, this talk of 'resetting': do you just mean that you powered them off and on again? At any time have you been 'Adding a player or SUB' all over again?
Thanks for responding...I got it to work. I had given up and went to bed after unplugging the Playbar (my two Play1 and Sub were still connected). The next morning I plugged in the Playbar and had it connected in about 15 seconds. I didn't reboot the modem/router or remove any other components, just had the Playbar unplugged all night and then boom it just connected the next day. I guess the fairies came out at night and got things sorted 🙂
You could well have had an IP address conflict, which worked its way out automatically as leases were renewed. My earlier comment of "You should also ensure that every single device on your network is rebooted -- not just Sonos -- to pick up fresh address information from the new router." was in order to pre-empt this situation.