Answered

Arc volume problem on non atmos sources lg b9 tv

• 16 June 2020
  • 7 replies

I just got my arc last week.  I have a brand new lg b9 77” that it is hooked up to through eARC and Apple TV 4K. On all Atmos labeled films the volume goes plenty loud.  On non Atmos sources I hit the limiter and the volume will not get even close to being loud. The arc replaced a play bar that went a lot louder than this arc is going.   Any help will be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 17 June 2020, 08:23

Hi @patmo6294 

Here are my Video/Audio settings for ATV (settings menu) with my LG65C9 and Arc:

VIDEO

Format_4K Dolby Vision

Match Content_Off

AUDIO

Output_Home Theater HDMI 4

Format_Auto, Atmos Available

Next 3 Options Set To_On

Audio Mode_Auto

View original

7 replies

Ok so I just read this post

”LG has released a firmware upgrade for the B9/C9/E9 supporting multichannel PCM passthrough.  This is great except Arc doesn’t support it yet.

Because of this new update, my Apple TV decides it should use LPCM instead of Dolby Digital 5.1 with Atmos enabled resulting in only 2.0 audio for non Atmos content.  The current only workaround is to disable Atmos and enable it when you want to watch an Atmos file.  Very frustrating as the previous firmware had no issue.“

Maybe this is why it is so quiet on non Atmos content.  Only 2 channels getting sound!!!!  WTF!!!!  Is there a setting on the Apple TV to change the output for non Atmos content?

Badge

I’m pretty sure my B9 automatically switches to Dolby atmos when playing compatible content. Just got my Arc hooked up MTF.

Userlevel 7

Hi @patmo6294 

Here are my Video/Audio settings for ATV (settings menu) with my LG65C9 and Arc:

VIDEO

Format_4K Dolby Vision

Match Content_Off

AUDIO

Output_Home Theater HDMI 4

Format_Auto, Atmos Available

Next 3 Options Set To_On

Audio Mode_Auto

Userlevel 1

I’m facing this problem too with my LG tv. You’re right, it has to do with the latest software update from LG...ironically it improves the TV’s audio handling by passing through multichannel PCM from the Apple TV, but Sonos haven’t made the Arc compatible with multi PCM. Sonos have said they will support multi PCM in a future update, but no timelines announced and it could take them years, going by previous form. Or it might never happen, as was the case with DTS. My advice is keep an eye on other threads here to see if they respond (eg this one) and if not keep track of your return period and decide if manually switching between audio formats is a worthwhile trade-off for owning an Arc. I’m leaning towards no, personally.

I'm having the same issue. I had the beam before and rarely had to turn the volume above 25 percent. Now with the arc, I am having to have the volume to at least 50 percent. I also have an LG C9. Have messed around with the settings numerous times but have had no luck with it sounding louder. I was thinking my ARC might be faulty.

Gentlemen my work around has been just to watch what content I am playing from Apple TV. If it is Atmos, go into the Apple TV sound setting and enable Atmos.  For 5.1 content or unlisted I go into the Apple TV audio setting and choose other audio format and it chooses 5.1 automatically and I run it that way.  It is a real pain in the butt but the arc and whole surround setup sounds amazing that way.  Until Sonos figures out the PCM thing this will continue.    What we are willing to do to get awesome sound!!!!

Oh yes one more thing observed. On Netflix if the movie is not Dolby vision taged you will also not get atmos. If it is ultra 4K it will not pass the atmos audio.  Don’t know why. If it is both Dolby vision and atmos it works perfectly.  Remember this is all with Apple TV 4K.