Arc Placement - Cathedral Ceiling and Fireplace

• 4 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Short Version:

I have a great room with cathedral ceilings and a TV mounted above the fireplace. I’m planning to use the Sanus TV mount to put the Arc either above or below the TV. I’m worried below may be too warm with the fireplace on. Above may ruin the sound (which may be ruined by cathedral ceilings anyway). Thoughts?

Long Version: 

Here is a pic of the room. The seemingly important measurements are:

46” - Floor to Bottom of TV

78” - Floor to Top of TV

16” - Between Bottom of TV and Fireplace

43” - Floor to Eye/Ear Height When Seated

12’ - Seating Distance

9’ - Floor to Bottom of Cathedral Ceilings

14’ 6” - Floor to Top of Cathedral Ceilings

From everything I’ve read, the cathedral ceilings will ruin the “bouncing” effect of the up-firing speakers. Given that, would mounting above the TV really be a bad idea? Also, there is still plenty of height from above the TV to the ceiling, in case the ceilings don’t ruin it. 

Finally, the TV is currently tilted down about 10 degrees. So the Arc will be too. It will basically be point right at my ear height. Will that help or hurt?

I know the room is not ideal for a sound bar. But separates aren’t an option. And the TV speakers  aren’t good. So I think a sound bar is my best of bad solutions.

Thank you so much for reading and helping. I really appreciate it. 

Will

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Your best option would be mounting the Arc below the TV. Not only will it look the best but would put the Arc at around ear level which is ideal for sound bar placement.

You are correct that your high cathedral ceiling will result in hearing little to no height channel effects from Dolby Atmos content even with the Arc mounted above the TV. But the Arc will still produce a fairly wide soundstage and immersive audio experience with the other drivers especially the side firing drivers.

Your best option would be mounting the Arc below the TV. Not only will it look the best but would put the Arc at around ear level which is ideal for sound bar placement.

You are correct that your high cathedral ceiling will result in hearing little to no height channel effects from Dolby Atmos content even with the Arc mounted above the TV. But the Arc will still produce a fairly wide soundstage and immersive audio experience with the other drivers especially the side firing drivers.

So you don’t think the heat from the fireplace will be an issue? Currently, the fireplace will make the bottom of the TV slightly warmer than room temp. Not a lot but definitely warmer. The Arc, with the recommended 2” of clearance, will sit even closer. 

Userlevel 7

It depends on how hot it gets below the TV and how often you use the fireplace. If it just gets slightly warmer, I think it should be okay. But if it is a concern and you don’t want to have to worry about, mount the Arc above the TV. The last thing you want is to worry about it and not be able to fully enjoy the Arc and fireplace or be hesitant to use your fireplace.

The maximum ambient operating temperature for the Arc is 40° C / 104° F.

Above a fireplace -- which IMO is a crazy location for any complex electronics -- it could well exceed that temperature, potentially compromising the product’s operation and useful life. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d look at adding a mantel to the fireplace, even for just the TV. Something to divert the rising heat out and away from the electronics.

I’d bet the Arc would be happier at warmer temps than your screen.