Question

ARC lip sync

I have PHILIPS 65OLED804/12 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED and just got the ARC. Connected to HDMI ARC and it works great however there is a slight delay - sound is delayed. Every option is to delay it further. Any help much appreciated. 

only way around it is to change the audio to stereo on TV ….

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

I have exactly the same TV with also the Sonos Arc and also these problems. The sound is too late. Very annoying. I hope there's a solution.

The delay is caused by processing in the TV before it sends the audio out via the HDMI ARC. Check to see if there are updates to the software running the TV. Call the TV manufacturer. Sonos plays the sound as fast as it is handed the sound.

I'm having a similar problem through my LG C8. Its not on every channel or recorded show but is consistent watching The Blacklist and The Flash. There is also a delay watching DA through my xbox one s. Thinking of going back to a Samsung soundbar. 

Sonos should investigate this problem

I've read the DA app has been a problem for other soundbars when input is through the tv. I don't know if Sonos can help. The lip sync is just a touch out. 

I also have a lip sync issue with my Sonos Arc paired with Samsung Q9 75". Iv been trying to figure it out for a couple days now and I'm about to return it. I never had this issue with my Sonos Playbar.

I also thought my xbox one s decoded dts to dolby on the fly. I think it only does it through optical. The lip sync is minor and only really shows with slow dialogue or something fast, such as a clap.

Anyway, I really like the sound and simplicity for a living room space and the tv apps have had a boost in quality without having to passthrough a soundbar. Plus i'm moving and plan to have a summerhouse with a basic home theatre. I will need a new tv so will buy the cheapest one with eArc for the living room. If its still an issue, i'll sell it. The resale will be good. In the meantime, i have signed up to Disney plus to watch all the dts blu-rays i have, which are a lot of the Marvel movies. 

Still, you would expect not to have any issues (excluding xbox- thats an app issue....i think)

Got same issues on Philips 65pus6703 

Arc Setup with sub etc.…

works fine after switching tv on/off

also YouTube on skyq stutters, then put sound sync out when back on channels 

not sure if Sonos or Phillips or sky q

Userlevel 3

Same issues, LG E8 Oled. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I know it’s not Sonos’ problem.  But given the magnitude of just the number of people, including me, that report this on the Community boards, I really wish they could engage at a level that we the average consumer don’t have access to.  They must do extensive product testing.  I would love to know which brands of TV’s they are performing their tests on.  Certainly, current models, from Sony, Samsung, LG, and Visio I would hope.  I realize that it’s not possible to check every model.  But they must be using at least some current ones.

@p2cho what is the sound stage like with the sub with music? I find the sound slightly recessed, especially voices. 

@MSterling that is a good thought

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I’m not having lip sync issues on my LG series 8 TV from internals apps, but some content from external ATV4k thats has a ‘just about tolerable’ lips sync issue.

In the interest of science, I found an option to ‘bypass’ sound from external devices, this can have the effect to output sound before the picture. You can then delay the sound in the soundbar.

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT00008334-1437133984424

You then have the option to delay the sound in the Arc.

There maybe a similar ‘bypass’ option on Philips or other manufacture TVs, check your users guides.

Also, if you are using Apple TV, it maybe worth running through this process:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210526

If you replace your TV set, Apple TV, AV receiver, sound bar, or any other related component after you've synced, you need to run Wireless Audio Sync again. 

@Fezutwo watched a Atmos movie on sky q sounded ok...not that u could fully tell any difference tbh...overall so not overly impressed with the Arc...still cutting out on Netflix and YouTube even with TV set to multichannel bypass instead of DD+.  Will give technical support a call Wednesday failing that I may send it back and stick with the beam for now

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hdfury “arcana” will solve this problem 

I have a samsung UHD TU-8000 and am struggling with the lip syncing issues. I can’t seem to find a decent setting and depending on what I’m watching it appears different programs are differ early delayed eg between atreaming services and live tv. This is driving me batty at this point. Any ideas? Never an issue with the play bar which I have in my other Tv. 

Badge

Had similar problems with lip synch with the Sonos Arc connected via eArc to a Samsung QE55Q90T, along with a Virgin media V6 box. I have another older Samsung LED TV, also linked to a Virgin media V6 box, when I connected the Soundbar to that there was no lip synch issues. 

Tried various options covered in this thread, also some suggested by the Sonos helpline to get the Soundbar working with the new TV, none worked and was close to returning the Soundbar.

Looking at my new TV sound menu settings, under Expert settings saw for “Digital Output Audio for...” you have the option of Auto, PCM or Pass-through. Auto was the default setting and made sense, but when I changed the setting to Pass-through my lip synch issues disappeared.

Badge

I’ve just purchased the new Philips 805 and I am having the same problems with my V6 box. If I keep the settings on Dolby Digital there is a delay on the sound, if I change it to PCM the lip sync fixes but I only get stereo. This is so frustrating, is there anyway to fix this?

Badge

Although my TV is a Samsung, I left the Virgin V6 sound output to Dolby Digital when I made the TV output changes mentioned in my previous post, since then I’ve had no further issues.

Badge

Thank you for the reply. The problem is I don’t see any settings like that on my TV.

I am using a Samsung 55q90t, virgin tivo 6 box and arc.

The suggestion of changing the expert sound setting to pass through has worked, thank you.

I would like to understand any implications this may have to the sound?

Thanks

Peter

Badge

Hi, when I made the change I picked up a better sound, makes sense as I think the auto setting only goes between PCM or pass through anyway.

But also contacted retailer I bought TV & Soundbar off and they said there would be no issues as I have a eArc HDMI connection. 

They did say I could prove that by finding a dolby atmos broadcast on Netflix- which I have not done yet.

Lip sync issues on the Samsung The Frame 2020 as well. I tried all the settings, but nothing works. Maybe it would be better if I could enable eARc on the tv, but apparently there are issues with Samsung tv’s and eArc… Only way to get any sound at all is disabling eArc.

Had lip synch issues with our LG 49SM8200. Having tried a number of options, I went into Sound/HDMI Input Audio Format and selected Bitstream instead of PCM. 

Not sure if there are similar settings on other TVs, but might be worth looking for. I started off looking at lipsync settings and it made no difference at all. 

Changing the HDMI Input gave instant success. 

I _think_ I might have done something that at least helps on my Samsung Q60t… this was especially bad on HD channels

I needed to go into the “expert” sound settings > “digital output format” was set to “pass through”. My limited understanding is that this stops the TV from adding it’s own processing and lets the Arc do it’s own business

BUT… the confusing thing was this option was greyed out. So I changed the input setting on the TV to the Sonos input (like when you set it between the apps and cable), then I went back into the sound settings and now it’s not greyed out. Since then, no problems with lipsync on HD channels

Hope this helps someone!

Had similar problems with lip synch with the Sonos Arc connected via eArc to a Samsung QE55Q90T, along with a Virgin media V6 box. I have another older Samsung LED TV, also linked to a Virgin media V6 box, when I connected the Soundbar to that there was no lip synch issues. 

Tried various options covered in this thread, also some suggested by the Sonos helpline to get the Soundbar working with the new TV, none worked and was close to returning the Soundbar.

Looking at my new TV sound menu settings, under Expert settings saw for “Digital Output Audio for...” you have the option of Auto, PCM or Pass-through. Auto was the default setting and made sense, but when I changed the setting to Pass-through my lip synch issues disappeared.

Absolutely worked.  Thank you so much.