Arc just started dropping out

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have an Arc, sub and 2 play 1s setup. For a month now the setup was fine. No sound issues at all. No changes made to my network either. Since yesterday my arc keeps dropping out intermittently.  For no reason whatsoever.

I have tried wifi and ethernet. Same issue. I have had to turn the arc off and revert to TV speakers

Diagnostics submitted are 726026310.

Please can someone at Sonos help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

My Arc also drops out for a few seconds at random intervals it’s only about 6 weeks old. 

Samsung UA55KS8500

Apple TV model A1842(64gb)

using HDMI supplied with Arc

All software is updated 

Diagnostics #194831508

I have 12 Sonos products and this is the first one to really let me down. 

Is there fix or do I send it back?

Regards

Peter

Badge

I am having precisely the same issue and is beginning to become a real issue. Unplugging and rebooting the Arc every day is simply not good enough. At some stage this will simply damage the Arc and what comeback is there on that?

I have an LG E9 65 connected via eArc - this is now a daily nuisance for a device that cost close to €1000 really is not acceptable

Okay This started happening to me last week. I can confirm that if I power cycle the device it fixes the problem temporarily. I also noticed that it happens more often under more complex codecs like Dolby Atmos. 

This prompts two possible problems. 

1. The cable is overheating and we just need a higher quality metal used in the hdmi cable
  2. The Arc itself has resistors and capacitors which are struggling to conduct signals due either to manufacture defect, possibly bad firmware managing and regulating temperature, or possibly bad heat sink/fans/etc.

We need solutions Sonos. These things are not cheap

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @ledzep1, thanks for your response. What I mean is check the status of HDMI eARC on your TV, if you can toggle it. The same goes for the audio format if it will make any difference. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@Krishma M 

Just curious what do you mean by testing/checking HDMI eARC status?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Barrett87, thanks for getting back to us and submitting another diagnostic. What content and source are you using when you encountered it? Does it happen to all sources? Have you also checked/tested the audio format and HDMI eARC status? Keep us posted here. We and the community are always here to help.

The issue has started again. My tv is on my Sonos is connected and currently dropping out as I write this. My diagnostics are 1958129682

thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Steve11111111111, welcome to the Sonos Community! I appreciate you reaching out here and submitting a diagnostic. Let me direct you to this thread as well as you may have experienced the same. Also, when did you submit the diagnostic? Is it when the problem existed? Was the TV off that time? Make sure you submit it when you encounter the problem and the TV is on. Also, what is your source/content playing when you encounter the issue? 

Keep us posted here. We and the community are always here to help.

This is driving me insane! 

Started a week or so ago every few hours, now it’s every 15 seconds at best and you have to power cycle the TV and sound bar.

Arc + Sub using the provided HDMI cable into a Sony BRAVIA X9500G 75. 

Nothing else connected via HDMI.

Submitted diagnostics 1401973551.

@Krishma M @Sonos Is there an update for this?

The product is unusable, it’s very close to being launched off a balcony 

Thank you for the quick response. No the issue persisted when I did the diagnostics. It’s working fine at the moment but when it happens again il be sure to give diagnostics.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Barrett87, welcome to the Sonos Community! I appreciate the diagnostic and let me help you with this. I assume you submitted the diagnostic when it’s fine because I’m not seeing any problem. It’s best to submit it after encountering the problem so we would see any problem with it. Have you also checked the thread I’ve shared to help you with the Samsung TV? Because we have an ongoing issue and already reported to Samsung and working with them to address the problem. Hope this helps. We and the community are always here to help.

This started happening with my arc this week. I bought it about 4 weeks ago and it worked fine until now. 
it drops out every 5 seconds, it’s connected to a Samsung Q80T. If I unplug the Sonos it fixes the problem for about a day then starts doing it again. That cannot be the solution for a £800 Sonos.
It works fine if I stream music from my phone to the sound bar, it seems like it’s just the tv it’s happening to

my diagnostics : 1161598627

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @davidmsilver18, thanks for reaching out here and for submitting the diagnostics. You may want to check this thread as well which may help you with the issue. It seems like the eARC connection is unstable. What source do you normally use when encountering the problem? 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Happened again - here are two more diagnostics: 1172257731 and 233777187

@Kyle A @Krishma M wondering if you could take a look?

I too am running into this issue. I’ve submitted a diagnostics report (1958126133), could someone look into it for me?

I’ve got an LG B9 TV. Connected to the Sonos ARC via HDMI.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Here's an update for all users using Samsung 2020 QLED (LS03T) Range in the US.
Samsung released a firmware update version 1402.1 that may assist in mitigating the issue.
Currently, the update appears to only be available for US models and via a manual USB update.
Reach out to Samsung for further assistance and hope this helps.
We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @bclarkep

We understand the decision and as long as the 45 - day return hasn’t passed;

you should be able to get your money’s worth back. I’ll be sure to pass this along as feedback. 

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out. The community is here to help.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @bclarkep, thank you for reaching out.

Thank you for getting our attention to this and the issue is currently getting looked at by our engineers.

We don’t have any information to share for the moment.

We recommend the Optical connection option if it would be a more stable experience.

We will notify the community on this issue if we have more information to share.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out. 

That's unfortunate as the product is essentially named after the arc port it should work stable on that port. Dolby Atmos does not work on digital optical either, and but rate is lower. I think I'm just going to return the arc, sun 3, and both SLs as this has already happens 4 times not in 24 hours. After setting Sonos products in customer home for 3 years I'm honestly shocked at the quality control here. Sonos comes with a high price and it seems this product was not ready for market yet.

I have a a denon receiver with Klipsch setup with eARC and has never dropped out or had this issue with my CX Oled. Was hoping to simplify my setup with Sonos.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @bclarkep, thank you for reaching out.

Thank you for getting our attention to this and the issue is currently getting looked at by our engineers.

We don’t have any information to share for the moment.

We recommend the Optical connection option if it would be a more stable experience.

We will notify the community on this issue if we have more information to share.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm having the same problem 

LG CX OLED

Sonos Arc plus 3rd gen sub

and Apple TV 4k

the audio goes in and out every second. I have to reboot the Sonos or TV to fix it. It then it's good for a few hours. It does it if I have eArc or arc over HDMI. Using a high speed hdmi cable and the hdmi cable that came with Sonos arc. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @HughSA, sorry for the late response and @scottmackenzie323, welcome to the community.

@HughSA, the sentiment is understandable, as a consumer of electronic goods as well.

I would feel frustrated if my purchase wasn’t working correctly. Since the issue is currently being looked at by our Engineers.

All we could do for the moment is to provide the best experience as much as possible.

it’s understandable if you choose not to use the optical option; as the Arc is meant for HDMI-eARC. 

We apologize for the issue and hopefully, we get a solution soon. We’ll have it announced here in the Community if we do.

@scottmackenzie323, are you able to complete the setup for the Sonos Arc? I would just like to confirm.

I received the ARC today. I wasn’t able to connect via the App for some reason. I hooked it up to my TV with the cables provided, and the sound comes in and out intermittently.  Frustrating - I see there are many others with this intermittent sound issue. I wish I would have known of this issue before I purchased.  

Hi Kyle - I do not use optical cable, I'm connected via hdmi cable to tv hdmi-arc. For first month of use it was fine, now it's annoying enough for us to consider turning Arc off and reverting to hifi system.

Hugh

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @HughSA, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot this, I would like to know how the Sonos Arc is connected to the TV.

Is it through the Optical adaptor or the HMDI-ARC? If it’s through ARC, the issue is being looked at by our engineers.

There’s no Time Table for a solution yet as of this moment, Fixes will be announced on either the Main Community page or the Large threads on the topic.

I would like you to test the Optical connection to your TV, to see if the issue persists.

If you’re already using the Optical connection and you’re having audio dropouts; please take a diagnostic of the Sonos system in the Sonos app.

Settings > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic and post the confirmation here.

I’m having the same problem - ARC has started dropping in/out

ARC

2 x Ones

Boost

Hisense 65M7000UWG

getting tired of the many problems in a couple of months of Sonos ownership.